Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Delayed/Lost Luggage When Taking Connecting Flights (especially into Venice via Amsterdam)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My Son has just come back from Venice airport taking KLM connecting flights and his luggage has not arrived at Manchester. No big deal because he is home and he expects his luggage to be couriered home tomorrow.

This has happened to me twice now, but on the outbound leg into Venice, which is a big deal. The first time I waited for the next flight to come in because I was promised it was on this flight and I just caught the later Dolomistars bus. The second time I was with a larger group and we were taking the last Sunday bus, I had my boots, ski pants and other skiing essentials in my hand luggage, so I took the bus. My luggage was delivered 2 days later, so I just hired ski's for 2 days and got on with it.

After the second time I vowed never to take a connecting flight (especially one with a short transfer time) when going on a skiing holiday. I now take the BA 07:45 from Gatwick. Much easier all round than flying from Manchester, including the 280 mile drive I have to do to get there, as no direct flights get in on time to take the Dolomitistars bus.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have no option but to fly via Amsterdam. Fortunately all of our luggage arrived at both ends.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hells Bells wrote:
We have no option but to fly via Amsterdam. Fortunately all of our luggage arrived at both ends.

You have the option to drive to Gatwick !!. Yes it's a pain, but I actually think it's less of a faff than doing connecting flights, but the main issue for me is the luggage.

I drive down day before, drop the bags off at departures. Park and stay at Arora Crawley is good and if you book well in advance is very cheap. Next day, it is nice and easy to take the train directly from the Hotel to Gatwick depatures with your luggage already checked in. Trust me it's more civilised than taking a 06:00 flight with all your luggage to check in while your still half asleep.

I knew their must be at least one advantage of living down South.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Air France used to be the world champion at losing baggage. Since Air France and KLM joined forces, it seems they're both at it now. I certainly remember several bags last year, or the year before at the Birthday Bash being delivered by DHL a day later, and all/most were those that had been via Amsterdam.

Mine was at the Paris connection en route from Cayenne to Amsterdam. Arrival on a Saturday afternoon. DHL bloke dropped off the suitcases on the following Thursday.

Whenever we flew Amsterdam-Paris CDG / Paris Orly-Cayenne, we'd have a sweepstake to guess whose bags didn't turn up, and that's with bags needing to be re-dropped at Orly! And when they give you the free socks and T-shirt... bin them. They'll shred if you wash them and clog up the washing machine.

Anyway, for ski trips, I always have 1 pair of baselayers, undies, socks, fleece, gloves, in the carry-on bag.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kel, no we don't. It would mean taking an extra day off work. We don't have that extra time available when we fly. Our trips are usually by car for two weeks at a time. There is no way I am driving almost 300 miles to catch a flight.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells, Yes I know what you mean, I have often thought when I get to Gatwick why not just carry on. I work for myself so taking an extra sneaky day is quite easy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kel, so do I, unfortunately my OH doesn't.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FWIW, when I change planes in Heathrow, my luggage gets lost 50% of the time. Gatwick is only slightly beter.

Flying to Amsterdam as final destination (which I do often enough!), lost luggage rate is less than 2%.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy