Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia? Arrabba? Selva? for a nervy blue runner

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. me and my partner are looking to book a holiday on 22 March for a week. my partner is blue run cruiser, and building up her confidence and pushing herself forward to the next level. after ski ing in France and Austria we now fancy Italy and like the look of Cevinia,Arrabba,Selva Val gardena.i have been to Cervinia and enjoyed the motorway ski ing there, but after being to Morzine we loved the runs thru the trees. being of age we are pretty fair weather ski iers so we like the scenery and lunches as much as the ski ing. so any advice on the above would be very welcome
thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Arrabba,Selva Val gardena

I'd put San Cassiano on the list. Same lift pass, but is 80% cruisy blues. (or Corvara / Colfosco - also direct access to those blues)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another recommendation for Colfosco - some wide gentle blue slopes to practice on and find your feet, then its own Edelweiss side valley to explore, and after a day or so you can then start travelling round the Sella Ronda.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kabby, some of the runs into Arabba are quite difficult - Selva or San Cassiano might be better.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not Arabba. Far too steep back to the village from the Canazei direction. For blue cruising you cannot beat San Cassiano.

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thank you all so much for taking the time to reply
shall investigate all your recommendations
ps the sella ronda? is it a circuit? is it suitable for low intermediates?
thanks again
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yep it's a circuit, possible both ways.
there are a couple of small "tricky" bits, but most is relatively straightforward (esp. if you go the official way in to selva clockwise, which is not signposted quite as well).

tricky bits are Arabba, clockwise, first pitch after cable car (not so bad first thing), anti-clockwise selva to plan de gralba first pitch from the summit. most other "tricky" bits can be deviated (corvara-camplonogo, top of canazei both ways, ...). It really depends where is the home village, since it's the end of the day where some bits get a bit lumpy - first thing in the morning it can be a nice corduroy warm up run!

ps it's more interesting just using the "circuit" to get around to other villages to play there, imho. you don't have to do full circuits.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 15-02-14 14:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks Andy appreciate it, seems Val gardena is the place to be!
seems San Cassiano is not in the big TOs brochures il keep looking
thanks all
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The scenery in the area is second to none and the ambiance delightful. The Sella Ronda is s circuit round the amazing Sella Group of mountains but there are a great number of diversions off it - not all of it linked. There are 4 of the 12 Dolomiti regions embraced by the Sella Ronda. Of these, the Alta Badia area is the bluest. Corvara is the town in this area on the circuit. San Cassiano is just off it.

I suggest oyu look at this arae and work up to a circiuit as an end-of-week ambition. There is a bit of red on the map if you are nervous, and it does get lumpy late in the day.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mountain Sun do a good value (very comfortable but not super super luxury) catered chalet/ hotel at San Cassiano. If you decide on the Selva end of the Dolomites, try the Seiser Alm area for blues / easy reds
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.mountainsunltd.com is popular choice for San Cassiano
http://www.colletts.co.uk is popular for Corvara
Not really on the mainstream TO brochures, but I think both do airport transfers etc.

The scenery certainly won't disappoint Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy wrote:

The scenery certainly won't disappoint Smile

Nor the food in the on mountain restaurants, a choice of Austrian and Italian cuisine at reasonable prices.... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kabby wrote:
the sella ronda? is it a circuit? is it suitable for low intermediates?

Yes, it is a circuit, which can be done either anticlockwise or clockwise.

I did the clockwise version as a fairly confident intermediate (with about 7 weeks skiing under my belt) on my own without any problems in about 5 hours. I'm not sure however that it would be that suitable for a nervous low intermediate. It is mainly red runs, and there were three or four sections where it was fairly steep/icy/mogulled, at least on the day I did it. It can also get very busy, which could be intimidating for someone lacking confidence.

The anticlockwise route is supposed to be easier (more blue runs and slightly less skiing), nevertheless, another group from my chalet managed to have a bit of an epic on it and only just made it round before the lifts closed as there was one less strong skier in their group who found the distance tiring and couldn't cope with one of the longer red runs near the end.

Remember you'll be paying for a taxi back if you can't make it the whole way round in time!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CathS, Great post. Very often confident skiers under-estimate the difficulties experienced by the less-confident and less experienced. Excellent information.

snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy wrote:
Quote:

Arrabba,Selva Val gardena

I'd put San Cassiano on the list. Same lift pass, but is 80% cruisy blues. (or Corvara / Colfosco - also direct access to those blues)

I'd second San Cass as the local slopes are great 'blues cruisers'. Colfosco also good.

As to the sella ronda you'd have to be really slow, very unlucky with lifts of just get horribly lost (hard) to not be able to get round the green in the day. If you're unsure of which way to go then taking the 'busier' route is more likely than not to the correct one.

only bit to watch for on the green is that when you get into Selva, after you go past the bottom of the danticepires bubble and under the bridge, head left about 100m thereafter and follow the track to the left down through the village until you get to the road gates (you'll realise what these are when you get there)
snow report
Cervinia is also great for nervous intermediates. Lovely gentle and wide pistes.
latest report
kabby, The Pralongia plateau (between San Cassiano and Corvara) has more cruisey blues and rifugios than you can shake a stick at - it will be perfect for you. It also has some good, confidence-building reds. If you fancy a stab at the Sella Ronda with the OH then the green, anti-clockwise route is indeed a bit easier. Staying in Corvara or Colfosco has the advantage of being right on the SR so you can get an early start.
snow conditions
kabby, another advantage to San Cassiano as a base is if you do the Lagazuoi run (aka Hidden Valley) which while rated as a red is only red at the top, you can be pretty much first up there one day.
latest report
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply,really appreciate it. Looks like we will be staying in Selva (just can't beat the big TOs prices)
And rest assured all your replys and recommends will be printed off and used
Thanks all again
snow conditions
SteveM wrote:
kabby, another advantage to San Cassiano as a base is if you do the Lagazuoi run (aka Hidden Valley) which while rated as a red is only red at the top, you can be pretty much first up there one day.
[nitpick]Actually the Hidden Valley run is called "Armentarola". "Lagazuoi" is the run back to the bottom of the cable car, with a branch off to link up with the Cinque Torri area. Lagazuoi is definitely a red run.[/nitpick]
You're right about the Hidden Valley, of course, mostly blue but the top can be a problem for the nervous in bad viz.
snow report
hi all, do not want to hijack this thread but any advice on TO's with good prices for anywhere in Italy?
ski holidays
Not Selva. For every bluesy area there's a red meanie en route. Ciampinoi is enough to finish a nervy beginner when it's badly chopped in the afternoon. Sad

Alpe Di Suisi or Col Raiser perhaps. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Inghams have accomodation choices in Corvara, Colfosco and La Villa (which shares the same mainly blue run area with San Cassiano & Corvara).
ski holidays
Quote:

so any advice on the above would be very welcome
thanks in advance

As you can see from the information above, even in well-known "cruisy" areas like the Sella Ronda there will be some trickier red runs, and if you can't tackle them loads of lovely places will be closed to you. Are you planning some lessons - some people don't really progress just pottering around on their own, especially if they are very reluctant to try anything new.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy