Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles - Only 1 pair so which?

Poster: A snowHead
I am having a goggle mare. Having wrecked my daughters cleaning them (and now replaced) I now find a scratch on my existing Bolle goggles. I blame the wife, but she is having none of it. Anyway...

If you have to get one pair of goggles which colour lens should you get? My existing ones are orange and for the money I paid they have been good value. I only ski twice a year so spending lots of money seems excessive. There are some good offer around, like Sport Pursuit with goggles around £18 to £60.

When its sunny I wear sunglasses so I guess I need goggles for when it snowing, raining, low light etc.

What are your thoughts on the best colour lens?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I personally prefer either grey or brown, but I think it is very much personal preference and how and when you will use them, as if it is sunny I often still where googles if it is cold? Where as hubby only uses his if it is poor visibility / snowing hard so goes for different lens.

I am also fussy about the feel of googles on - lots I put on and I don't feel they are comfortable, which is why I have eyed up a lot of the online deals but shied away from them.

I just bought myself a new pair from Decathlon (Trespass ones), which were £19.99 and allegedly half price. I was able to try them on, felt comfortable and found the colour acceptable (I personally can not stand yellow, orange or pink ones!).

EDIT: Sorry managed to miss the bit about you use sunglasses if sunny - Sorry about that!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 14-02-14 11:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Persimmon/orange, gold/yellow, or rose.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got a persimmon lens in my A-frames and I'm not too impressed with it in flat light. I'll be moving to a Hi-Yellow lens next time out.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike-H, If it's only for poor light you want something that will increase perception of contrast - greys, greens and blues are a very bad idea. Yellows, oranges, etc. are what you want and ideally with only a very light tint.

But how scratched are yours? One scratch generally does not a dead pair of goggles make?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, Not too bad, but its right in the centre of the lens and may be annoying.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NickyJ, The kids ones were half price too at £12. I got a replacement (and a spare) for my daughter and even bought my son a pair for when he skis (he's just turned 3).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike-H, I feel like a record stuck in a groove because I've mentioned this on a couple of different threads, but I've got a pair of Bolle Nova with vermillion modulator lenses and they are brilliant in either bright or low light
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mozwold, +1. Even my current sunglasses are vermillion modulator.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mozwold, These?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolle-Ski-Snow-Goggles-Nova-20966-Shiny-Black-Vermillon-Gun-/141119502128
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bolle-2011-Nova-Ski-Goggles/dp/B002C38PZU/ref=sr_1_4/278-1051067-7306220?ie=UTF8&qid=1392378007&sr=8-4&keywords=bolle+nova&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i find a few scratches to be part and parcel of it really. They dont bother me as they're so close your looking past the scratches anyway. I wouldnt throw them out just yet Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

i find a few scratches to be part and parcel of it really. They dont bother me as they're so close your looking past the scratches anyway.

+1. If you feel the scratch might be annoying, why don't you wear them for a few minutes, to be sure. I have some new Bolle light-sensitive lenses, which are very good, but my old ones were scratched to hell - not just one or two scratches, years worth.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Those Head Horizon Races in Decathlon and the £1 lens kit, 1 pair of goggles, 6 lenses for every condition (even clear ones for skiing at night) £60.99
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smith Blue Sensor Mirror lens... in my opinion, the best all round lens you can get. Very good in flat light, but good enough in bright sun.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have the grey polarised lens for Electric EG2 and they are absolutely fantastic for all conditions. I used to have Adidas Yodai with a replacement orange lens for flat light, but the EG2s are much better than those in flat light.

It was a bit of a fluke really, I bought them at the start of a winter season and didn't expect much from flat light but just tried them, I was absolutely bowled over by how good they are.
latest report
Mike-H, sorry for the late reply, but no.

These are an example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolle-Nova-Adults-Ski-Goggles-Black-Modulator-/201031739674?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_GogglesSunglasses_JN&hash=item2ece6ce91a
also in quassr frame

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOLLE-light-sensitive-QUASAR-Ski-Snow-Goggles-Block-Vermillon-MODULATOR-20608-/330881170997?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_GogglesSunglasses_JN&hash=item4d0a0dfe35

But I didn't pay anything like that sort of money, I think mine were £40 - maybe they've gone up as more popular Puzzled
latest report
Alex A wrote:
Smith Blue Sensor Mirror lens... in my opinion, the best all round lens you can get. Very good in flat light, but good enough in bright sun.

+1
Swapped from Oakley A-frames with HI Yellow which I'd been happy with for years to Smith IOx with blue sensor mirror and even happier with that. Also have a polarized red sensor mirror one for brighter light and is very easy to swap the lenses
Doesn't really fit your price range, but you get what you pay for.
snow report
Just ordered Smith Scope blue sensor mirrors to replace my persimmon Scotts .....
Let's see how they fair ...
latest report
Salmon X-Tend Photochromics are awesome goggles for all conditions.
ski holidays
I have found several Smith Blue Sensor. Do you have a link?
ski holidays
If it helps anyone, Smith put me in contact with [url=http://www.ultrasporteu.com/]UltraSport Europe when trying to get replacement Red Sensor lenses for m'ladys old Anthem goggles. They're the UK distributors for
◦Adio
◦Amplid
◦Bern
◦Bic
◦Bike Bag
◦Contour
◦Drake
◦Liquid Force
◦Neff
◦Northwave
◦Obrien
◦Smith Goggles
◦Smith Helmets
◦Jetpilot
snow report
mozwold wrote:
Mike-H, I feel like a record stuck in a groove because I've mentioned this on a couple of different threads, but I've got a pair of Bolle Nova with vermillion modulator lenses and they are brilliant in either bright or low light

I have a pair with Citrus (Orange/yellow) modulator lenses. Saves a lot of faffing about esp. in changing conditions.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've got a persimmon lens in my A-frames and I'm not too impressed with it in flat light. I'll be moving to a Hi-Yellow lens next time out.

Exactly my opinion. Far inferior in low flat light to an old yellow pair of no name goggles I owned many years ago....or maybe it's me eyes doctor!
snow conditions
Just an update. I have just ordered the Bolle Nova Modulator in Citrus lens. Thanks for all of your help. I 'made do' with the previous pair last year (which really were not that badly scratched) but wanted something for low light. I hope we don't get a white out this year but if we do hopefully I will have slightly better field of vision.
snow report
@Mike-H, I've just bought a pair of Bolle with Modulator Citrus too. Haven't tried them out yet though.
snow conditions
Everyone on hear rates them so I bought with confidence. You can get them from about £50-£60 and different styles for those that need to mix it up.
snow conditions
I got Bolle Monarch in the end as they're a bit smaller fitting. I only paid £44 on Amazon.
snow report
I don't have the widest face but the Nova II claim to have an extra 20% vision which swung it for me. I just hope they're not too wide. Will drop back with update in due course as lots of people read this forum when researching equipment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy