Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving down for half term thread.

Poster: A snowHead
nooooo…I am giving it a couple of weeks, let the slopes, and roads, clear a bit!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, But the tunnel is virtually sold out, strange system where they ignore their regular customers and dump all-comers into the same melee, if that's what's happened. I guess they have some form of agreement with the ferries, seems very odd to me.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
22:15 and the M20 is stationary 4 miles from et
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tangowaggon, Ovefrturned lory apparently, no delays at tunnel now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Delays on M20 - only 10 minutes according to Highways Agency. Now only a Force 7 in the Channel - so disruption shouldn't get any worse.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Now only a Force 7 in the Channel

10 gusting 11 and 12 at Chichester Bar - so it might get worse down there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2315 forecast for Dover:

Quote:
Southwest gale 8 to storm 10, occasionally violent storm 11 at first, veering west 6 to gale 8 later
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just boarded Les Shuttle. 12:20am. No probs. even got a departure 30mins early
Dread to think what it's like out in the channel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never seen the tunnel so quiet. On earlier tunnel. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick D, it also works the other way, and we've been bumped to a ferry when there were problems at the tunnel.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone got an update on the ferry's? OH on school trip and supposed to be sailing in the early hours, received a text at 4.30am saying massive delays! Dover reopened at 6am after closing at midnight. Heard nothing since!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The ferries are running now however there are big delays
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Must be BIG delays - OH is still in Dover!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Really Puzzled would of thought they should be catching up by now. That said it did blow a proper big gale last night, I can't get around as a few roads blocked by trees, no rail services, we British really know how to handle bad weather don't we!!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colinski, weather is particularly extreme at the moment.
snow report
Port is open for single ferry movements, delays of up to 4 hours. Still windy here in Kent
https://twitter.com/Port_of_Dover
ski holidays
It is extreme I agree, just seems to take us Brits an eternity to clear anything up. My parents are farmers and we had a tree go down in the village blocking the road. Half hour later, two chainsaws, a tractor and a massive pile of wood for my mums Rayburn Laughing no police, no highways agency, and no health and safety all clear and happy bunnies all round.
ski holidays
Colinski, not everyone has a chainsaw, and not everyone would be competent to use one. Look at the poor guy who was electrocuted the other day trying to move a fallen tree. Half of the Italian dolomites was at a standstill recently due to heavy snow.
snow report
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ - looking windy
ski holidays
En route to Austria, major delays Kaiserslautern to Karlsruhe. Lost at least 1 hour. Queues in both directions.

Foul weather, several accidents And many road works!

Now past Stuttgart the road is clearer.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 15-02-14 13:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Colinski, and if you multiply that fallen tree by many, each needing two chainsaws, a tractor and competent operators......
snow report
OH is sat at Dover on coach with 4O+ kids. They arrived at Dover just as they closed the port last night. It's one in one out for the ferries. Over 12 hours and they're still there. She said its bad. Queue jumping and no idea when it's their turn. Italy is many many hours away for them.

Good luck to all travelling by ferry.
ski holidays
Mike-H, oh dear, what a miserable scenario for your OH. It's a long way to Italy even when it goes well (my son in law has taken coach loads of kids to Folgarida several times) and there are usually several who are sick. I hope they get off before long (and that there won't be too many ill-informed comments about teachers' "freebies").
ski holidays
Got to Eurotunnel at 1720 for 1920 -put on 1750! Terminal almost deserted. Fastest run ever, no problems got to Radstadt at 0915 this morning. Doesn't make sense.
snow report
OH scheduled to sail at 3.30am this morning, finally got on a ferry that left at 12noon, hopefully the drive with 40 kids to St Gervais won't be too bad!
latest report
She finally got a ferry at somewhere after 2pm. She is glad to be in France but eta for Italy is now 2am. Getting skis at 7.30am so kids will be very tired.
snow conditions
On the plus side I'm relaxing with a beer watching footy with my 3yr old boy.
ski holidays
Left home earlier than originally planned Friday 0315hr got the ET @ 0925 & arrved at hotel around 1900 had fantastic meal at Buffalo Bill then left @ 0630 Saturday.
arrived in resort Les Menuires ( staying on a small hamlet outide Les Lesavaiux around 10.00 sorted day passes out & youngest daughters skis out & we were in the hill for 1300hrs

Fantastic on the hill very quite & now back on the chalet dinner in the oven & beers going down well Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Route was Folkestone, Eurotunnel, Calais, Lille, Luxembourg, Kiaserslautern, Karlsruhe, Munich, Saltzberg, Flachau.
Left Mundon at midnight, arrived eurotunnel at 02:15, placed on the next tunnel @ 02:38. 2 hrs early! Very Happy
Terminal and car park were deserted, I have never seen it as quiet at ANY time, let alone Half term WE.
Weather in UK was as expected, gales and rain. Weather on continent much the same to well past Luxembourg.

Large numbers of ongoing road works in Germany reduced speed but we had allowed for some of that. One minor detour near the Alliansz Arena (I missed the junction Embarassed ) added 15 mins. No doubt the 'other version' will be mentioned later. A further 45 mins delay south east of Munich with traffic splitting to Innsbruck, we go via Saltzberg.
Arrived Flachau at 18:20, only 1 1/2 hrs later than original plan. However with the 2 hour time saving, this really means we were driving for an extra 3 1/2 Hrs!

At this time I feel it has been one of the most tiring trips I have ever made, primarily due to the weather but the numbers of road works through Germany also had an impact.

If we'd had to drive for even an hour longer, it would have been too much. However, I now feel rather fortunate after reading some of the earlier posts. Good luck to anyone still en-route.

Family now unpacked, fed, showered and, other than myself, sound asleep! Light weights! wink

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 15-02-14 22:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I just got Skyped by my niece and family, in my apartment in France. They had their ferry from Portsmouth cancelled and decided to drive on to the Tunnel - had to pay a lot of money but got on an earlier train than booked (this is becoming a familiar story at the Tunnel last night) and have resolved ALWAYS to go on the Tunnel in future. They stayed near Béthune last night and found the drive down today, in very heavy rain, and very heavy traffic for much of the journey too, tiring. But they reported success in finding a way of drinking a bottle of Limoncello I left in the fridge (bought in fit of enthusiasm for all things Italian but I found it revolting). Gin, Limoncello and Tonic. Shocked Very warm and slushy in the Alps, apparently. But Chamonix Meteo is forecasting an end to the foehn wind and some snow overnight.

Good to hear that people have arrived; now get some sleep, FraserP.
ski holidays
Was very mild here in Serre Che yesterday, and was +3 overnight, woke up to melt water running off roof and light rain, and texted my friend arriving in Turin at 10:30 "saying bad news it's raining, good news you will not need chains (he's hiring car)"

Hour late temps now +1 and snowing hard - texted him again to tell him to check chains at airport rather than side of the road in the slush rolling eyes

Daughter in Tignes last night told me transfers were all severley delayed due to the holiday traffic.

pam w, had a nice couple of hours of x-country yesterday, thinking about trading my classic skis in for some modern skating skis and getting a season pass as my strategy to beat the hordes over the next three to four weeks Cool

Mind you this weather is good, and maybe French families might think not worth buying a weekly pass because of the weather and take one day at a time, or half days etc Twisted Evil
ski holidays
We had a gusty drive from Suffolk to ET yesterday morning, QE2 Bridge closed but no real delay using tunnel that early. Arrived ET in time for a bacon butty ahead of our 9.50 crossing which was exactly on time then a very smooth drive across France presumably behind the HT hoards. Torrential rain around Lyon but dry road up the mountain, arrived 8.30 last night was 10 degrees at 1350m. Dramatic change overnight, 2" snow & still coming down, zero degrees. Happy skiing half-termers!
snow conditions
We got the ferry at 18.30 on Friday evening so were lucky as it sounds like trouble was later. Got to Val T at 09.00 Saturday Morning so got a whole day skiing in. It's been snowing very heavily all day.
snow report
OK, here's mine… - Herts to Bad Gastein...

Left Berkhamsted, Herts at 13.30 on Friday, arrived at the tunnel at 15.30 - booked on the 16.20. Got put on the 16.06 train. Into France at 1740 isn local time. Horrific weather, arrived at Hotel near Aachen at 21.30. Left there at 07.30 on Saturday. Easy going until Wurzburg and then my wife's car's satnav traffic system lit up and alerted us to lots of problems that didn't seem to exist. Got complacent - decided to go via Ulm (or close to anyway). missed the turning so ended up going via Nurnberg. Traffic solid for about 40 miles to Munich. Went across country, joining back onto the autobahn on the east side of the munich ring road. Traffic around the Allianz Stadium awful (it was around 5pm now). Went back off the motorway to avoid the queue for the innsbruck turn and finally got to Bad Gastein at 19.30. Had two stops of around half an hour each. Awful day. How the locals put up with the traffic disaster that is Munich I don't know. Far worse than the M25. The worst thing is that I faffed around unpacking thinking that the hotel's spa shut at ten and I had time for a nice sauna and soak. It shut at nine just as I arrived there.

Snowing here now… wink
snow conditions
Dirty Gibson, We know all the back doubles and rat runs. It is the tourists who make it hell on wheels for themselves. This weekend and next weekend, no local with any nounce will be anywhere near the A99. Dutch, Danes and others will clog it up in both directions by about 8.30am. Laughing
ski holidays
I use to ski in Austria with my brother in law who lived in Munich. He would always make us get up at 5.30am to avoid the traffic on the A99 ... we'd generally arrive in Austria for the first lift of the day, albeit half asleep! His friends who would leave at 6.30 often just turned round and went home. The Munich to Salzburg road is a car park on Saturday mornings.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy