Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski season in Australia or New zealand?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all Smile I am going to Southeast asia right at the end of December until about March/April, then my plan was to go to Australia on a year working visa. I have always wanted to do a ski season so would like to try and squeeze on in. I have been on about 10 week long ski holidays so I am a competent skier, but except for once in Italy, I have only ever been to one small resort in Spain called Panticosa, and i get quite bored there after 5 days now. I have heard the skiing in NZ is better, But I would have a few months before the ski season starts and I don't really want to waste my working visa in OZ by going to NZ in may/june. I will probably have around £1500 left from Southeast asia, do I would need to be working straight away really. I have heard mixed reports about skiing in Australia, it seems like the more convenient option but I don't want to be bored of the slopes after a week. Any advice would be appreciated 😀😀
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forget Oz , you would need to be desperate but if u do Thredbo
Is the only sub decent hill.

Ozzys fly over to NZ for decent skiing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All the Ozzys I've spoken to say Australian skiing sucks and that two metres of snowfall would constitute a good winter.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
New Zealand is good.

Base yourself in either Queenstown or Wanaka.

Queenstown is the party town, lots going on, easy access to skiing at Coronet Peak and The Remarkables.

Wanaka is more laid-back, skiing at Treble Cone & Cardrona. Treble Cone probably has the best terrain of the big South-Island resorts.

Take some time to move around a bit as well, ski some of the small resorts and the club fields.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skied NZ and Oz. My advice is not to bother. Very expensive and whilst I have had an enjoyable ski in both countries they are rubbish compared to a decent Euro resort. Go to Japan.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Juddernaut wrote:
Skied NZ and Oz. My advice is not to bother. Very expensive and whilst I have had an enjoyable ski in both countries they are rubbish compared to a decent Euro resort. Go to Japan.

Japan does not have snow in the summer
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:
Juddernaut wrote:

Really? Then go in winter. Durrr
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Juddernaut wrote:
stanton wrote:
Juddernaut wrote:

Really? Then go in winter. Durrr

Unfortunately that wouldn't appear to fit with the OP's timescales, so Stanton's comment seems sensible.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OP said "December until about March/April, then my plan was to go to Australia on a year working visa"

That makes at least one year and a bit in SE Asia. I reckon Japan has one winter in that time period?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the replies, im in se asia for about 3-4 months december until about march ish. I've always wanted to go to japan but I actually had no clue they have good ski resorts but after doing a bit of research I'm going to try and go there, a different sort of culture to experience as well.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pablo123 wrote:
Thanks for the replies, im in se asia for about 3-4 months december until about march ish. I've always wanted to go to japan but I actually had no clue they have good ski resorts but after doing a bit of research I'm going to try and go there, a different sort of culture to experience as well.

Good choice. Powder capital of the world. I love Oz and NZ but honestly the ski experience there is very ordinary.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Juddernaut,

Are you thick? I bet your a fatty as well.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Japan is not in SE Asia. It's over 3000 miles away.

Mind you Australia is some distance away too!

Skiing in Japan is outstanding and neither Australia or NZ can compare. It can be a bit of a cultural challenge and it is different from the Alps. But it is a very strong call.

NZ does have some good skiing available and if you are in the southern hemisphere during their winter is well worth it. Like stevomcd, said the main areas (in terms of developed infrastructure) are around Queenstown and Wanaka, but there's also good skiing around Christchurch (and indeed North Island). There's definitely a difference in scale, pisted areas are (much) smaller, but there's a great community and plenty to challenge if the conditions are right.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
Juddernaut,

Are you thick? I bet your a fatty as well.

I think you are after "you're", not "your".
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would vote for Japan as well. After just coming back from Niseko I can say that it is pretty darn good. I have skied all over NZ (I am a Kiwi) but if you want to ensure you get plenty of good powder and good snow I would hit Japan. Price wise it is cheaper to ski in Niseko than in NZ and the skiing is much better. I have had some epic days in NZ but they are few and far between most of the time. If you went to Niseko it is almost like Australia as there are so many of them there!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy