Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BlackDiamond Jetforce Airbag

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.powdermag.com/stories/new-jetforce-airbag-changes-game/

New airbag to hit the markets later this year, uses a fan to inflate. Looks pretty good from the video at the bottom of the article!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like it is going to go for around $1000 when it comes out. I wonder how much it'll set us back in Europe, though.

Lighter than other bags though, and made by a company who can do decent packs which bodes well.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
$1000-$1200 they are quoting. There's also going to be different models marketed by PIEPS and BD, so the prices may vary there too.

Look forward to seeing one in the flesh!

My review of the new/current BCA float 32 will be published shortly, and it'd be good to get one of the JetForce when they come out for some comparisons
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serriadh wrote:

Lighter than other bags though.

Not really.
Its is heavier than both the equivalent Mammut RAS or BCA offerings (which can be made lighter with carbon cylinder).
Is a motor plus battery really going to be lighter than a cylinder of compressed air ?

Cool technology - but I am not convinced it will be a massive game changer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How big are the batteries? Big enough to interfere with transceiver signals?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think this has couple of major advantages

- multiple deployments, you can deploy first if you think you are heading into dangerous ground

- getting it on a plane. No ambiguity about rules or worries about getting a refill abroad.

This is a good development.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Best product of it's type, end of.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BD make awesome packs so I expect this to be waaaay nicer than previous airbag offerings which to my mind have been a bit lacking.

clarky999, that does seem to be something that is so obvious I doubt they overlooked it when designing the thing. Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
meh, I'd have thought so too, but haven't heard it mentioned anywhere.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, No clash at all.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

How big are the batteries? Big enough to interfere with transceiver signals?

I think you can see the battery on the 2nd video on the page - looks pretty small/light (if it's the same as the one that ends-up in the final production version). As meh says, one would hope that they've done the necessary testing for interference with a beeber.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CH2O, cheers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
roscoeh wrote:
I think this has couple of major advantages

- multiple deployments, you can deploy first if you think you are heading into dangerous ground

Only if its not really cold, according to the review

"The lithium ion battery will fire up to four times at 0°C (32°F), and one or two times at -30° C (-22°F). "

Minus 10-15 isn't uncommon in the Alps so with a brand new and fully charged battery you should get 2 goes which is admittedly one more than a canister, but with a battery that has been cycled a few times and isn't in optimium condition you may only get the one go. How foolish would you feel pulling it as a maybe on one run, then having no power left when you really needed it later on in the day.

"If users are skiing a particularly risky line, they can deploy the bag before they start down and don’t have to worry about the bag not working later in the day."

I can't really see any competent backcountry skier/border that knows what they are doing pulling it at the top to ride down an iffy looking slope.
If you think it looks that dodgy you shouldnt be on it any way, airbag or not.

So for me the fact you can make multipe deployments is not really a selling point at all as I just don't think you would realistically risk it. Ask youself how long your 8 month old smartphone battery lasts compared to when it was new, might be at 80% if you are lucky and that will have been worked/cycled properly, ie flattened charged and flattenad again daily, thats how a Li-ION likes to be treated, not sat fully charged in minus 15degree cold for days at a time. Then sat in a cupboard all for 11 months not being used at all.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
deploy it before you ski the line.. wtf, really what kind of advice is that

surely you don't ski the line if you feel the need to deploy it before hand, that's just stupid and they cant use that as a selling point, hope not anyway.

likewise on the batteries, I struggle to keep my phone charged, that said they are bound to be quite cheap if just a 2 cell lipo so easy to have a couple spare
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Minus 10-15 isn't uncommon in the Alps so with a brand new and fully charged battery you should get 2 goes which is admittedly one more than a canister, but with a battery that has been cycled a few times and isn't in optimium condition you may only get the one go. How foolish would you feel pulling it as a maybe on one run, then having no power left when you really needed it later on in the day.

1, the Battery is located in the lumber, between back and bag, not likely to suffer from Minus 30° there. 2, 1 deploy a day would be enough to send home. 3, a simple indicator on the deploy handle will indicate if there is a problem, if there is doubt, go home!
ski holidays
wow those powder mag journo's are really upto date.

in a couple of months they will talk about this which is looking great:
http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/news/wintersports/ISPO_award_winner_2014_SCOTT_air_mnt_ap_20/
ski holidays
I had a good look at the new Scott system at SLIDE - very impressive. The packs housing the system are basically their existing Air 40/30/20 (which are excellent) with the top internal goggle pocket now having an external zip. IIRC the airbag system is made exclusively for Scott by the world's leading manufacturer of aircraft/boat lifejackets.
latest report
I've not seen it in person Jon, But what you say sounds right. Their gear is always good. I have one of their freeride mountain bikes that is sweet. And my Dad rides a killer 29ner of theirs.

The jetforce also sounds great, but I thought it was lighter than current canister models. Is it correct as others have said that is actually similar weight to carbon canister equipped bags? And like Scott products, all the BD gear I own is top notch. Including my current backpack!
snow report
Saw the Scott too, BD takes the accolades
snow conditions
Any idea what the RRP will be of the Scott airbag. I think the competition is getting pretty good now, prices will be more reasonable.

I just don't like the idea of refillable canisters and the hassle that comes with it. Suppose if they were cheap then a one off cost would be fine. I take it if you 'arm' the airbag you can't bring the canister back on a plane because the seal is broken? But if they were around £20 a go this would not be a problem.
ski holidays
Just to put a dampener on, the Lithium batteries might still be a problem for airline travel. Depends on their capacity. The IATA dangerous goods table lists a variety of restrictions on these as they have a tendency to go on fire.

Word at Slide was the BD system might arrive midway through next season, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was later than that.
latest report
Yep had a long talk with BD at slide as well

The batteries used are a 28.8 volt setup, but they did not know what the WH (watt hour) was so can not comment yet on flying with this pretty huge battery.

The other major thing with this bag is that it has not got approval yet and I think IMHO that they will struggle to get this before next season and produce, BD were saying that the expected number to be made available to the UK was (!!) not saying the figure but it was a small number and I sell more airbags than that in a good week! let a lone a season.

The other interesting points were that the activation handle was a straight toggle with a push button on the bottom, to turn on, oh and its has a very nice green LED light on the handle prime apres ski bar target?

SCOT BAGS
On the Scott bags they are really well put together and the smaller cylinders do look attractive, I am not sure but I don't think they have approval as yet, you can not currently fly with two cylinders whatever the size and unless they change one of the buckles to metal then I would not sell them.

Trade shows are great for seeing new products however it does not mean they will get to market as expected or as shown, the two new bags have lots of good points, but in my opinion still need further work to be a reliable alternative to the current models on the market.
snow report
I was looking online at the BD pack. It looks to have a big volume lost to the battery and fan, more than a comparable cylinder pack. There also seesm to be little romm left for shovel, probe and other kit. No information on whether it was compatible with hydration packs either. As others have posted, flying with Lithium batteries will be as much hassle under IATA as cylinders I think. Lithium batteries are also rather tempremental when recharging.
The Scott system looks very interesting. The website mentions alloy buckles for chest and waist. Could be a winner if the price is competitive, and is hydration pack compatible.
ski holidays
Scottish Scrutineer,
Quote:

There also seesm to be little romm left for shovel, probe and other kit

The real thing had a pocket on the outside for this as well as the main compartment
latest report
Anyone seen this on sale in the UK yet?
latest report
@musehead,
Quote:

Anyone seen this on sale in the UK yet?

Not real stock yet no, and IMHO prob not this season, but I have been wrong before, I would not look at selling it this season and will probably wait for at least two seasons to see what happens with this pack, so check back with me in 2016 Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm hoping to get my mitts on the real thing at ISPO in Feb. I'll hopefully do a proper review then
ski holidays
Ellis Brigham have put it in their catalogue (with a price which looks pretty competitive), and when I asked a guy in their Covent Garden store he thought they would be getting some in later in the season. But like livetoski, I don't think I really believe that Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any updates on if the Jetforce will be available in Europe this season?
snow report
Jetforce bags are widely available now, cheapest i've seen is just under £700 online for the Halo 28.

Considering buying one. I've not had an airbag before but ski a lot off piste.

Does anyone here have one of these bags yet?
snow report
@musehead, I have a Pieps Jetforce Tour 24, which is basically the same bag. I got mine for £624 a month ago. I checked with the recall site, and they confirmed that it had had the firmware update applied.

Out of the box it reached full charge in about 3 hours, and inflated the first time I tried it. Repacking is much quicker/easier the ABS (which I have had for 5 years). After first inflation still showed 4 out of 4 charge lights. It is heavier than the ABS Vario, and the quality of the straps/belt seem to be the same. The actual backpack is better than the ABS original ones, but about the same the Dakine zip ons that I use.

The avi tool pocket is one of the best I have used, as it swallows a Black Diamond Evac 7 shovel, 320 Probe, and G3 Bone Saw without any issue. The top goggle pocket seems ok, and takes large goggles easily. However, the main compartment, which is accessed from the front, is reduced in size by the fan/bag etc, making it relatively small. The 24 litres of the name is pure fiction, but that is common to most backpacks. If you were going on a day tour, you would have be a Tetris expert to fit everything in, particularly if you have wide skins for fat skis.

For me one of the main benefits is the testing aspect, not while out in the snow, but when preparing for a trip. At the moment most will test their airbag once at the beginning of the season, as recommended, and then go for the rest of the season hoping it will work.

Not tested in snow of course yet.
snow report
@PowderAdict, Thanks, where did you get yours from? Sounds like a good price.
snow report
@musehead, I bought mine from http://www.bergfreunde.co.uk, I was originally looking for the yellow version but no one had them in stock. But when I found the red one at such a low price, it was too good to miss.

The price has since gone up £145 since I bought mine, but they have colour and size choice now. I bought the small version, but I think the only difference is the position of the straps, rather than capacity. I'm 6ft and the limit of the small size, but it fits me fine. I guess it all depends on your torso length.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy