Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

18 year old seasonaire

Poster: A snowHead
I am currently 17 but turn 18 in September. And looking to do a season in 14/15 in either tignes, alpe dhuez or morzine I am a keen rider and just want work that will pay the bills.

I have 2 questions. - Will I need to wait until September before applying for a job
- If I can apply for a job what ones are best suited to some one who gets maximum time on the hill? I was thinking a kitchen porter or something? Preferably a job which can come with accommodation would be amazing but not essential.

Any advice will be great!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Robborder, No, you do not have to wait. Start applying in May 2014. Kitchen porter is an excellent choice. Lots of time on the hill.

My #2 son was a kitchen porter / night porter with SkiWorld. Night porter means you get first lifts.

Make sure you get some experience in your local pub's kitchen - now.

Go for it - you will have a blast.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Make sure you get some experience in your local pub's kitchen - now.

and maybe brush up your French?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow, thanks for the quick response! Apart from a kp what other jobs give you a similar amount of time on the hill?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Robborder, At your age kp is the best for mountain time. You would be too young to get a bar job and they are hard to come by.

My #1 son was a sous chef. Less mountain time and more responsibility.

Ideally you want to look for a kp job in a 'chalet hotel' with a tour operator like SkiWorld.

http://www.skiworld.co.uk/recruitment

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 12-02-14 23:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cad99uk, thanks that sounds good! Do you get accomodation or anything else paid for?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Robborder, Yes, detailed here

http://www.skiworld.co.uk/recruitment/resort-positions
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok thanks this has been really helpfull!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Robborder, Your welcome.

My sons had great times on their winter seasons.

Top tip. Get something organised for the summer as well. My sons were sailing instructors in the south of France. It makes for a great year and gives you lots of soft skills to put on your CV in the future.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeh that sounds like a great idea! Out of interest where was it they did there winter seasons?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
#1 son was in Schladming, Austria working for Equity Ski.

#2 son was in Courchevel 1850 working for SkiWorld
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok, sounded amazing!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I kp'd in chalet hotel in serre che for inghams got on the hill every day except changeover day. Even got two days offa week once we had the routine nailed (which annoyed the chalet hosts) plenty of ski time and plenty of beer time no responsibility. Great for me at the time! The chef even let me sneak out on changeover if it was a powder day. Can't recommend enough.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Robborder, my son is 19 and currently in st anton working as a hotel assistant, gets out on the mountain most days and is loving every minute, even planned to return next year, daughter 23 is currently in La Rosiere working as a chalet host and also loving it, they are both employed by workaseason, which is Inghams, ski esprit and ski total, a good company to work for, they applied just after Easter I think? But have a look on workaseasons website. You would need some sort of catering experience to work in a kitchen but hotel assistants need no experience. Pay is peanuts, food accommodation, equipment, season lift pass etc all included though and it's a brilliant experience?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did kitchen porter/night porter in an Esprit chalet hotel in 2010/11 and it was great for mountain time - as KP you get 4-5 hours in the middle of every day and as NP you could ski from lift open to lift close if you wanted to. Also as NP the day of between finishing nights and going back onto days was transfer day - which meant you get to ski on quiet slopes.

As NP we made all the cakes, which I quite enjoyed!

feefee, which chalet? I stayed in one of theirs in St Anton the other week...
snow report
definitely thinking about being a kp!
Bobmcstuff, is a np a completely different job or do you get to choose once you have got the kp job? Hotel assistant sounds good aswel!
Can u do a season in st anon on a budget? I was there earlier in the year and it seems much more expensive than other resorts

Thanks for all the advice!
ski holidays
bobmcstuff, He is in the Chalet Hotel St Christoph, we went at Christmas and stayed in Chalet Helvetia.
Robborder, I found St Anton more expensive than other resorts in Austria but still cheaper than any French resort we have been to.
ski holidays
Ok, I really like st anton! Are there many british seasonaires there compared to a resort like tignes or alpe dhuez?
snow report
Robborder, No idea in comparison but there are plenty in St Anton snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks!
snow conditions
Robborder, it's a rota thing, and was part of the job description I applied for - we were doing KP for 2 weeks then NP for 1 week.

Most chalets don't have night porters (I worked in a chalet hotel which is a bit bigger) so it's perfectly possible to get a KP only one.

feefee, ah I was in Freida.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy