Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will We Ever Get There?

Poster: A snowHead
As I sit staring at the horrendous weather across the Devon coast line I am currently worried that we won't even make it as far as Folkestone after school on Friday let alone down to the GM through Friday night early Saturday morning!!

I am quite a hardened driver and can normally churn out mile on mile but starting to wonder if it's sensible with wife and kids on board. It's gonna be tough going for sure Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
given the weather and risk etc, it seems entirely justified for you to take children out of school a day earlier, and make the journey either late thurs, or Friday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jirac18 - The motorways are ok in the south east at the moment (ie I think the flooding is mainly minor roads). However in your position I'd take the kids out of school at lunchtime or take them out for the whole day as you have a long drive ahead. The M25 is always bad around Godstone as I think the road repairs are still going on so you definitely don't want to be on that section at peak time.

I'm wondering if I'll get to my parents for the planned half term visit as the railway seems in such a bad way between Reading and Oxford and also have to pass through Worcestershire which is badly flooded.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't forget the M2 is closed. The Highways Agency hope to get some lanes open today or maybe tomorrow ......
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-26149625
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jirac18,

With any luck the school will be closed due to leaks / flooding or being used as an evacuation shelter by then.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jirac18, In view of the forecasts I would suggest leaving the wife & kids at home, I'll go with you instead Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bob, snowymum, I am leaning towards taking them out at lunch time and making a steady drive towards Folkestone just be sure of getting there. Our crossing checks in at 2200 so could mean hanging around at the terminal for quite a while but I guess that's better than not getting there at all.

provenjohn, I've run your offer past mrs jirac and she politely says get stuffed as skiing is worth the hardship of getting there rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I live just outside Dover, if this weather keeps up it will be good advice to turn up early at the tunnel as the ferries look like they are having difficulty getting in the harbour this aft!!!! If they close the docks the whole lot (lorries and everyone) rushes to the tunnel and in my experience they don't refuse them they just stack em up and take their money.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Forecast for Dover is wet and windy for weekend. My wife is travelling with 50 kids to Italy on a coach.

Colinski, Let us know if ferries are being cancelled. And welcome to the forum.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will keep an eye on the ferry situation, just came down the hill into the docks and witnessed waves crashing over the break water!! And a lorry blown over on the A20 like it was a paper bag in the wind!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bug. She will be gutted if ferries are cancelled.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Half term weekend, they will do their best to stay open, they can't afford the loss of revenue. Just may be a few green kids on that bus though Going green Going green Going green
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The ferry could be fun Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are leaving from lympstone in Devon on Friday for the tunnel and will be going through wind rain and snow plague and what ever else gets thrown at me to get way from this vile wet weather!!!! Kids DVD fully installed in car and ready lol
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
not that it helps, but mine is missing the Friday school day, well half day, he breaks up at lunchtime.
We travel Friday morning..
latest report
I hope you make it OK. I've taken my kids out of school on Friday to get a head start towards Austria. Booked on the tunnel though so hopefully weather won't affect that! Good luck all travelling this weekend.
snow report
I've loaded sickbags and about a year of "Big Bang Theory" episodes on Miss Do$h's tablet, so the run from Dorset to Eurotunnel on Friday WILL go ahead. I have zipties and webbing straps if it gets particularly windy...
snow report
I am not making the trip till Xmas, good luck to all those going this weekend, M2 is still partially closed but I reckon should be back open fully by Friday.
snow conditions
Did someone remove 'ger' from the first word on my last post? I guess the forum police don't like that word. Sorry Smile
latest report
Mike-H wrote:
bug. She will be gutted if ferries are cancelled.

Bugger is not allowed.
ski holidays
Ah, you've met my wife then.
snow conditions
My wife has "I will do anything for love" written on her knickers.

But on the back it say "but I wont do that"
ski holidays
You married to "meat loaf" ??? Very Happy
ski holidays
blahblahblah, Madeye-Smiley

well we have decided to set off a few hours earlier than we would have as the forecast still looks bad and I really don't need the aggro of arriving to the tunnel late. I phoned the senior school and they immediately approved authorised half day absence for eldest daughter as the weather currently in their opinion is exceptional circumstances and they wanted us to "enjoy the holiday and have a safe drive", all very easy and nicely dealt with by the deputy head.

On the other hand there is my youngest daughters primary school who have refused the exact same request for a lunch time finish and state "It's out of our hands blame the government!".

Of course I will be taking youngest out at lunch time too and we will head off for a great holiday taking our time safely in extreme weather and if I get a £60 fine well so be it, I really don't care. In fact I think I will argue the toss in court if needs be. I have done the responsible thing by booking holiday at half term rather than them both miss a full week of school and save a fortune. I could have lied and said she was ill or had a medical appointment but no tried to do the right thing. Is it really too much to ask for two hours absence for a 7 year old girl?!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
jirac18, pathetic! Hope you have a safe and trouble-free journey.
latest report
Two hours on the last day of school!!! She may miss the chosen DVD for that afternoon while the teachers clear up Very Happy Very Happy (I am opening myself up for some teacher abuse I feel)
snow conditions
jirac18, have a good trip. snowHead Good idea to leave earlier, given the circumstances.
ski holidays
jirac18, safe trip - despite what is being banded around - schools cannot fine, that is for the LEA and they are being advised only to do this as last resort if absence in a 6-month period is above 10-days.

School just doesn't want to have Unauthorised Absence recorded and is trying to scare you
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers everyone have safe trips down to wherever you're heading and enjoy your holiday regardless of lift queues and busy pistes. And for those staying at home stay in the warm and dry if you can.
ski holidays
jirac18, You know for next time to that it's best not to mention it. Simply turn up at school and explain there is a family problem and you need to go and see poor aunt Ethel in Cornwall.

I may be wrong but I am sure our plane will be delayed by one day in May half term. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy