Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gopro question that better not turn into a helmet thread!!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, just joined the Gopro owners club,

Slight problem, because of the design of my helmet ( it is a Head Pro ), I cannot find a suitable flat part where all of the curved mount will stick flush too.

So I am looking at a chest mount,

Apart from getting a new helmet, is there any other mounting options/suggestions.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've seen them mounted on the side as well as the top.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes I think I can side mount, but am paranoid about clashing heads on chair lift ripping it off, how strong are the 3m sticky pads
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You wear a helmet!!!!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The curved mount doesn't stick fully on my helmet either, all 4 corners aren't in contact with the helmet. But ive been using it for 2 years and had no problems. The sticky pads are very strong on helmets.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timbobaggins, I had no problems with the adhesive on the head mount they seem very strong and even a couple of chairlift bar swipes didn't affect it.

On the either hand I couldn't get them to stick all day on the ski, even with a perfectly flat mount and good adhesion with the mount stuck on a dried ski the night before and left over night in a heated locker it still came away later the next day although thankfully after I was finished filming from the ski mount. Have had a tip to put a little sell tapping screw into the ski mount although I doubt that would work on a helmet even if you wanted to do that?

In the case of the ski I reckon the exposure to cold and moisture just defeats the adhesion eventually, maybe even the small amount of heat that comes through a helmet from your head makes the difference as it was rock solid even after a couple of heavy snowfall days?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
this should help. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22723059
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timbobaggins wrote:
Yes I think I can side mount, but am paranoid about clashing heads on chair lift ripping it off, how strong are the 3m sticky pads

Strong enough that the 3M pad holding on the Ion the Action cam I was testing this summer, almost pulled my helmet off my head when it caught on a branch while racing a rally motorcycle through a forest.

suddenly looking at the inside of your chinguard while travelling about 50-60mph on a gravel track in a forest is an excellent test of your sphincter control
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The sticky pads are strong enough for kayakers to roll with a cam on their helmet multiple times and they are fine, people just use a leash on it as a safety measure.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use a side mount and the only problem I have to be aware of is knocking it if I carry my skis on the same side. I also tether the camera to my helmet strap just in case. Never had a problem clashing heads with it on. You can buy a sidemount kit but I think I bought the "Bag of Mounts" or similar which had the same fittings as the side mount and a few extra bits. My worry about top mounting was knocking the camera off with the chairlift bar.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Other option with mounts is if you have vents use the strap-on mount (a sort of lozenge shaped pad) and straps/cable ties through the helmet holes.

Top mount is a pain in the backside, never seen a side mount but I'd expect that if mounted close to the helmet it will be much more protected than chairlift bar hitting it all the time, your shoulders are several inches wide after all.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We hit the top mounted cameras more often that the side mounted, but then the folks they are attached to are 6footers....Don't worry about the curve not matching, nothing has fallen off yet!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cheers, side mount for me then
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
is there not a "gecko" type sticky-on mount?

at 6ft3, if i lid mounted one, it'd either be smashed off on every chairlift, or my lid would be nearly ripped off on every chairlift.

think leashes just make an annoying rattling noise on the video, unless taped down?

chest harness certainly seems to work well on MTBs (from what I see), but I think need to be strapped down pretty well.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quite a few times I saw people with top-mounts get them clouted on lifts this year, or people with them remembering to do the whole Quasimodo contortion thing to avoid the bar (and inadvertantly headbutting their mates in the process).

Certainally a real prevelance of them on the mountain this year, looking across the lift queues in the morning looked like a little crop of mushrooms come up.
snow conditions
If you don't want to get the GoPro wacked by the bar of the lift just look up and have any pack on your lap. Very Happy
ski holidays
my lad skiied with the go pro on his helmet the other week, he's six two - needed to duck for a few chairs but was generally OK. He wiped out pretty badly in powder and the helmet sticky pad gave up the ghost. If we hadn't leashed it we've had either been searching for hours or kissed goodbye £300 of nice kit! Certainly can't notice any noise from the leash and the footage of his landing is awesome!

Next week we are trying to mount it on the ski tips a la Graham Bell on Ski Sunday
snow conditions
get the chest mount (chesty), so much better, - doesn't turn wildly as the head does sometimes, gets a great all round view, is dead easy to wear, doesn't bang on anything, and easy to turn on off quickly. We used it for the whole week in Les Arcs recently and got some great footage.

Only other mount we used was a handlebar mount for the end of ski pole.
snow report
skribble, I'm very surprised the sticky pad gave up, a few years ago I lost an argument with a rock while paragliding landing gopro first and it was the plastic mounting shoe that smashed rather than the 3M pad coming off.

I agree with neilkav, about the chest mount, much more impressed with the footage from that over the helmet.

If anyone is mounting onto the tip of your ski make sure it's directly onto the top sheet sanding off any textured graphics as necessary, I also put a couple of M3 screws in for peace of mind.
snow report
Interested in a Chest mount anyone got some pics as Ive got a SJ1000 coming next week ( no money to buy a GP3)
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, I mount mine on my helmet using the strap-on attachment that came with the whole paraphernalia, so it sits proudly a-front and doesn't get in the way of bar jerking when off-loading.
ski holidays
Hmmm Cacciatore, I didn't get a strap-on with mine, Oooer missus Shocked

Just got a flat and curved mount and a hinged thing that makes up a helmet side mount, think I am going to go for the chest strap
snow report
Chest mount example

February 11th - Tignes 2014 from Alex Armstrong
http://vimeo.com/86541545

I much prefer to the helmet mount anyway. You can lift up a little and lose the skis, but I quite like it.. this is all with an old original GoPro on number 4 setting.
latest report
Alex A, great video, fantastic conditions lucky you. Very Happy
latest report
Good to mix up some different shots. My son using a home made pole mount/chest/helmet

http://youtube.com/v/vFxerX7DzqQ
ski holidays
GoPro mounted on a helmet = punter
GoPro mounted on a pole = punter

Indiscreet chest harness = allowed

In fact most seasonaires* now no longer use GoPro's such is the punter association

*according to my daughter in Tignes (third season)

I never had a dickhead mount on my helmet and only used a chest harness
ski holidays
Weathercam,
Quote:

Indiscreet chest harness = into BDSM - 80% chance of rubber underpants

FIFY

Any fule kno the only way forward is to have your own chase quadracopter.
snow conditions
Dictating where you stick your GoPro by fashion rather than function is by far the most "punterish" thing. Toofy Grin

Possibly more "punterish" is to dictate to others.

In short stick it where it captures the footage you want.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thought that would get some response Laughing

But after what I've seen this morning with all the Swedes with their dick head mounts rolling eyes

Unfortunately there is a whole sort of pecking order / ranking / status on the hill with the weekly punter being the lowest of the low

I should have taken a photo this morning of all the "Swedish Freeriders*" in their UCPA groups.

There's a whole thread there but...........

* some very good skiers though!
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:

Any fule kno the only way forward is to have your own chase quadracopter.

Smile
snow report
A mate of mine has set up a survey company using a quad copter

Take a look at this footage

http://youtube.com/v/eaQEOjRPSTs
snow report
I, for one, see the top mount as an act of religious observance to that grand anthropomorphization of Winter, the mountain made man, the GSA.

Speak his name softly children, for only he knoweth both where he is going and where he hath been. Hallow'd be his footage. Amen.
latest report
Quote:

Dictating where you stick your GoPro by fashion rather than function is by far the most "punterish" thing.

+1. I was dead against the teletubby look of a helmet mount but after trying various other things it is by far and away the best place to get POV footage. Of course, you can get other angles in other ways. I actually find hand held is still the most versatile (but has obvious limitations).

ianwal, I think your son goes too far in mixing up the various shots. It is difficult to get an overall picture of what he is actually doing (which looks a lot of fun actually). I particularly dislike the headcam, straight down shot but hey, each to their own. It's hardly Warren Smith territory eh?
snow report
For me, its about not having to stop to get a camera out etc... that's why I like the GoPro to record for my own viewing and memories. I like the chest mount as I like the view and I can operate the GoPro easily. I don't want anything that will compromise my skiing so using a pole and holding my poles, to me, is just a compromise to far. Skiing trees the helmut mount can detach itself and you need a leash. So its chest all the way for me.

ps.. what are you if you have done heaps of seasons but now just go on holidays?! Punter? Weathercam, I think your daughter is hanging with the "Punter" Seasonaires variety, if you get my drift wink
ski holidays
Tiger2, you are probably right, my point is, I find nothing more boring than 10mins footage of someone skiing a run with the view just from a head/chest cam.
We tend to just do a few runs on a trip to do some filming, then the rest of the time it packed in the sac, rather than have it constanly recording like an accident cam Very Happy
ski holidays
Obviously I fully expected to get berated for my comments, but two or three mins of GoPro is so boring now, and plus you look like a lady's front bottom to boot!

If I'm filming now I'd rather get my camera / phone out to take shots of my mates rather than loads of inane footage of me skiing a bit of powder.

I've dragged this film out before as a damn good example of what a "punter" film should be like, and this was before the days of YouTube / Vimeo etc when we shot video with camcorders

Babylon - La Grave 2001 - Simon Bedford from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/37009823

Alex A, and yes I do get your drift, can be quite exasperating when I have her telling me what's cool / not cool as it's so happening in Tignes, made even worse when I've just spent a day in La Grave and I know nothing rolling eyes
latest report
Totally agree with mounting the camera where it gets the best results rather than just looking cool Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Weathercam, I agree that getting classic footage is way better. But you spend so much time and effort getting the footage that nowadays I just can't be bothered with that. As I said, personally, I just use the footage for personal memories. If the other day I'd messed around taking video then I;d have (a) done about 2 runs less on a powder day (b) put ourselves at risk on exposed routes.

La Grave is for girls wink ... joke..
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
Thought that would get some response Laughing

But after what I've seen this morning with all the Swedes with their dick head mounts rolling eyes

Unfortunately there is a whole sort of pecking order / ranking / status on the hill with the weekly punter being the lowest of the low

I should have taken a photo this morning of all the "Swedish Freeriders*" in their UCPA groups.

There's a whole thread there but...........

* some very good skiers though!

Whatever makes you feel better about your perceived status. Toofy Grin

That film could have done with being at least half as long. Watching people do the same turns down non-descript parts of the hill gets boring very fast whether it's POV or not. The bottom line is that it's very often what you capture as well as how you capture it. There are some awesome little 3 minute videos on the interwebs purely made up of GoPro shots. That said 90% of peoples videos are made purely for them or a small group of friends to remind them of an awesome time together so I don't see why there is a need to denigrate people for making them. YMMV.
snow report
So despite you all arguing about where it is fashionable/no fashionable/seasonaire/punter like, bottom line is stick your go pro where you want, ( within reason ) wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy