Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

switzerland - is it really that expensive - the food facts...

Poster: A snowHead
Sitting down to a nice meal at Violettes, a friend said '...this is loads cheaper than France...'

Here are the prices from this weekend, up at 2000m on the hill;

- large basic stone-baked pizza - nicer and a lot bigger than Pizza Express: 16 chf around 10.80 gbp
- bowl of extremely good Goulash soup and croutons: 8 chf around 5.50 gbp
- hot chocolate: 4.50 chf around 3.00 gbp

and frankly, the boletus mushroom pasta was extremely good...and equally reasonable.

Anyone got the latest 'on the hill' prices from France, Austria and elsewhere?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where's Violettes valais2?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict, The mountain station above Barzettes, in Crans Montana.

Gondola goes up to Violettes from the far eastern end of Montana village and then up from Violettes to Plaine Morte at 3000m.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
valais2, Not the latest prices but 2 weeks ago:

Tartiflette in Montgenevre mountain hut - 14.9 euro
Tartiflette in Sestriere mountain hut - 8 euro

Both very nice and the French version did have a small bowl of dressed leaves to accompany it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
current prices in mayrhofen

large pizza with cheese 8 euro...with toppings 10-12 euro
big bowl of Goulash - 4 euro
large schnitzel and chips - 8 Euro
big chicken salad 7 euro

small beer - 2.80 euro large beer 3.60 euro
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
...interesting....any news coming in from Les Arcs and Courchevel?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Large slice of pizza and a nice espresso, €3.40 in the Bulle Cafe above Arc 2000.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Large slice of pizza and a nice espresso, €3.40 in the Bulle Cafe above Arc 2000.

Always good value.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wiessbier obertauern er about 4 quid a pint i think ?!?!?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lunch of Spag bol and small side salad, Cervinia 6 euros, over the hill in Zermatt a mere 22 euros equivalent in chf and not a smile from the waiter.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So are we learning anything here ? Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
halfhand, Some places in Switzerland are reasonable, some really expensive, same in France Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
valais2 wrote:
Sitting down to a nice meal at Violettes, a friend said '...this is loads cheaper than France...'

Didn't know there was a caff named after me!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2 Course set Lunch Cafe Schuh Interlaken (one of the more expensive local restaurants) 19.50 Chf I happened to see the menu last week.

The poor exchange rate currently makes Switzerland a little expensive, if it ever gets back to something nearer 2 Chf to the pound the prices will be much more reasonable

But yes as Claude B, some places are expensive some much better value.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And now back in the real world where most skiers/boarders live, Switzerland is just far too expensive for most people.
snow report
Got back from Zermatt week or so ago which we all found really expensive. (Almost) worth the miserable t-bar over the hill to Cervinia for pizza and pasta (much more reasonable). Visited Verbier two years ago and even eating out lots didn't think it more expensive than expectation. Apart from the club with the Lamborghini and Ferrari outside. That was expensive. Shocked
snow conditions
Aosta Valley Champoluc, pizza 7 euro hard to finish it's so huge, pasta dishes about the same equally delicious, litre of red wine 8 euro, espresso 1 euro, large beer 4 euro, hot chocolate you can stand your spoon up in 2.50 euro.

It's the quality of the food that really matters and it's outstanding at any price, non of your Spag Bol that's been sitting in hot plates for hours at 12 euros a plate like I've had in France. Italy is the way forward for food.
snow report
2 course set lunch at the Kreistenalm just above St Johann/Alpendorf (Salzburgerland) 8 Euro - last Friday that was a large bowl of Frittatensuppe (beef/vegetable consommé with cut up strips of pancake) and the main course was breaded fish with a side salad, chips or boiled potatoes. Too much for me to eat at lunch any way. Drink cost 3.50 but it was a large Cola Mix.
latest report
4 course set lunch with wine €14.00
Petit Bouchon La Plagne centre France.
latest report
I will read through this later - it all becomes quite relevant to us when we are in France, just back from 8 weeks in Les Gets and the prices vary hugely. We can't afford either the £ or the lbs to eat out all the time although lunches do seem to start sliding into the routine, and always fun to meet up with friends for lunch. We do carry out coffee surveys though and our long black coffees vary from 1.50 euros to 4 euros each - so we know where to stop. Our nice local restaurant at the lake in LG is only 1.5, and the Paika is 2..... but the café that used to have the tree through the roof half way down Linga on the left was 4 euros - queried it and was told it was M. Hollande and the taxes - so now we go to the one on the other side over the drag lift. All sounds a bit anal to be so conscious but when out for a bit you get to notice things like that.

I do always struggle to get really warm hot chocolate in Switzerland - and I usually only go for that on cold days so that is important!
snow conditions
Pamski wrote:
I do always struggle to get really warm hot chocolate in Switzerland - and I usually only go for that on cold days so that is important!

For the best richest hot chocolate go to the Dolomites - in some places it's just like melted chocolate (which I think it may well be, I think they melt a bit of chocolate bar using the steam from the espresso machines!) Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Geneva: greasy pizza 20CHF, bottle of top water 3.5CHF
snow conditions
richards521, Really? We thought Wengen was fine this year, next trip to Tignes is costing us more! snowHead
ski holidays
2 goulash/onion soups, 2 pints of fanta, about €30 in the summer (it was cold and in a cloud that day), in a restaurant in Champoussin where the 2 of us just about outnumbered the staff, and then 2 walkers came in. Approx the same for 2 enormous plates of saucisson frites and 2 pints of fanta, in Les Crosets. Not sure how winter prices compare, but both places were heaving in my previous ski experience there.

1 lasagne, 1 beer, €32 in courchevel.

Switzerland is a bargain.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 12-02-14 10:09; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Alastair Pink, sorry but it comes in tetrapaks Sad
snow report
The franc is indeed strong at the moment, but when in France recently I felt that some places (not all) just rip you off for the sake of it. davidof, was that at the airport? The prices are pretty shocking there.
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Pamski wrote:

For the best richest hot chocolate go to the Dolomites - in some places it's just like melted chocolate (which I think it may well be, I think they melt a bit of chocolate bar using the steam from the espresso machines!) Madeye-Smiley

Oh, this is excellent news. I've really been missing my Mt. Blanc hot chocolates in France, even if they did cost me 4 or 5 EUR a piece, they were just lovely. I had two weeks in Verbier over Christmas with a daily disappointment when being brought a hot water or hot milk in a tea cup with a sachet of chocolate powder... whip cream? never saw it there.

8 more sleeps before we fly out to Italy. Tonnes of snow, nice food to warm the soul, excitement is barely containable.
ski holidays
I think it is indeed the resort rather than country - food is fuel for me when on the mtn. so spag bol Zillertal €4.20, Lech €13. However, the exchange rate means Switzerland is generally a lot more expensive and only does favourably compared to the rip-off French resorts. Tignes wins the prize for the worst/most expensive food I've had on the mountain although eaten had some great meals off the mountain there. Agree Italy does well on the quality/price front as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the exchange rate means Switzerland is generally a lot more expensive

I would agree. Prices in Switzerland (in CHF) have not risen appreciably in the six years we have had our apartment. HOwever the exchange rate has dropped from 2.20-odd to the present 1.48 or so, so what was an £8 pizza is now a £12 pizza. Eating out as a family of four (all with adult appetites) was eye-watering.

Some big-ticket imported goods (e.g., furniture) have actually been reduced in price because of the increased buying power of their currency. Can't imagine that happening in Britain.

It is a problem for them and I believe the Swiss government has unofficially pegged the rate by selling vast quantities of francs. (What the greater economic effect of this is, I leave to the experts). But I think businesses are aware that the exchange rate makes them expensive and most make every effort to keep prices keen, where possible.
snow conditions
The Swiss prices are tough to take when you convert back to £s.

For the Swiss, earning Swiss wages they are very reasonable.

I can only talk first hand about Verbier, but there the effective minimum wage is about CHF25 per hour (that is what you pay a babysitter or cleaner).
A pizza at chf 20 is therefore a bit less than one hour's pay.

A pizza fro Pizza Express in the UK at about £9 is rather more than one hours pay for a similar job.

No consolation for me though!
snow conditions
Those folks who think eating in Tignes is expensive should take the chair over to Val d'Isere. You're lucky to have change from £40 for two pizzas and two drinks Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
so whats it like in PdS and espace diamant?
latest report
I'm not sure it is much different rungsp. In london basic rate for a cleaner is £10 an hour, with plenty of my friends paying more than that.

In Courchevel 1650 we paid E7,50 for a panini or burger from a hole in the wall. 8E for nuggets and chips. Pizzas in Les menuires were E12 eat in (good, large). Beer was 6E a pint, vin chaud usually E3,50, as was hot chocolate. Coffee from E2. More expensive place eating in in orelle E15 for burger and chips, a nice place in La Tania was E12 for burger and chips. We didn't even look in 1850, it's futile Wink
ski holidays
Whats the minimum wage in CH? Price difference between France and UK can often be relative to the minimum wage difference between the two countries.
ski holidays
But but but! France is expensive!
ski holidays
hobbiteater, in the Espace Diamant it varies a fair bit - there are a lot of the usual, basic, places and a few very good restaurants which are more expensive, naturally enough. "La Ferme du Victorine" in Notre Dame de Bellecombe does 3 course dinners from €29 - 60, whereas a lunchtime "plat du jour" in most ordinary places will be about €11 - 13, with a carafe of house wine for a few euros. Vin chaud varies between €2.50 and €3 - occasionally more. Small beer (ie the usual bottle of Kronenbourg) from €2,50 (more for the more expensive beers and in the more expensive establishments)

Generous plate of chicken wings (or sausage, or ham) and chips about €6.50 in my favourite piste-side eatery, just by the ski school meeting place. We often share a plate.

Three course basic "tourist lunches" are available for about €12 - €15. The best restaurant in Les Saisies itself (Les Arcades) does evening meals from €23 to €69 (the latter has 8 courses - I have yet to try it).

Nowhere in the Espace Diamant approaches the fine dining experiences available in Megeve, just next door. wink

Coffees from €1.50 upwards.

The food and drink on the mountain in Italy was generally excellent and usefully cheaper.
snow report
At the bottom of the Tetes lift in Les Gets we paid 13 Euro for 2 hot chocolates and 2 crepes which I didn't think was too bad.
ski holidays
pam w, thanks, i love that in Austria you just go in a place on the mountain and know it wont be expensive, i'd like to find a resort in France that's similar, looking good for ED from what you say.
latest report
Skiwelt prices pretty similar all around the mountain, from last week
goulasch soup with bread about €5
grostl, schnitzel etc €8.5-10
large beer/soft drink €3.20-3.50
The only place we used that was slightly above this was Skiweige near the ki-west lift, but we should have realised from the funky jazz-dance music coming from the place!
All great food and great service everywhere. Great value!
ski holidays
I went to Laax in Switzerland last year and it was about 20ch for a pizza in the village. I didn't have evening meal included and there was a really limited range of expensive food options with bars not also doing food ( I found this very strange). The food on the mountain was in general about 20 euro for meal with a coke but it was really poor quality food and I felt like if I was in Austria I would be getting a much higher standard of food and service.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy