Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Being able to see your ski's while wearing goggles?

Poster: A snowHead
I recently went sking for the first time in Zakopane and had a cheap pair of No Fear goggles.I ended up not needing to wear them but when i did i found it difficult not being able to see my ski's.I ended up losing them but I'm going to Chamonix in a few weeks time were i imagine i will need goggles.

Do all googles block your field of vision so much that you can't see your ski's or would a bigger pair let you be able to see down?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes and yes. Go and try a load of different ones on and see which you like best. Anything that you stick in front of your eyes is going to alter your field of vision, bigger may be better. You have to move your head more when wearing goggles to counter this. If you want to look at your skis move your head down Very Happy , but after a while you'll want to be looking where you're going instead.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

after a while you'll want to be looking where you're going instead.

indeed. It's not a great idea to be looking at your skis too much.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

after a while you'll want to be looking where you're going instead.

indeed. It's not a great idea to be looking at your skis too much.

Indeed Indeed! I was rather wondering why you want to look at your skis! Isn't the view ahead rather more pretty? Never mind the tree/piste marker/other skier you'll run into while admiring your skis. Skullie
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I read this bit
Quote:

I recently went sking for the first time
from the OP
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes i am a beginner and of course i mostly look ahead but when i get a bit wobbly i look at my skis to try and get them tighter.It wasn't till i started wearing the goggles and couldn't see my skis that i realised it was a problem for me.I know it won't be a problem once i get better but for now i'd like to be able to see my skis when i start losing control.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have never ever noticed this! Sort of tempted to go but my goggles on, but sofa....too....comfy...Do you mean you can't see your skis even when you look down fullytucked? If so that isn't normal no...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FullyTucked, you will very quickly get to a stage where you are not looking at your skis, do not use that as a guide to select the goggles, how ever much you might like the idea it really isn't helping you.

If you wear a helmet it is essential to choose one that fits with the helmet. Choose goggles (a) for comfort (b) for demisting capability (generally the more expensive the better, but you do get to a point of diminishing returns). All goggles will restrict your immediate downward vision.

Sport Pursuit have some stonking deals at the moment (full declaration - if you join using my link here http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/hamilton_095cea and subsequently order I get £5 credit). To see "Join", Category -> Skiing Type -> goggles. They have a £75 Bolle pair for £25 for example, and many others 50% off. They do send a daily mail but their bargains can be excellent.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FullyTucked wrote:
when i get a bit wobbly i look at my skis to try and get them tighter.

You more than likely need to do the opposite.

FullyTucked wrote:
but for now i'd like to be able to see my skis when i start losing control.

If you look at your skis when you start to go out of control your less likely to regain control. Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whose sock?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, 1 guess.................. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FullyTucked, if you are for real- buy some adult sized goggles- it sounds as if you have kiddie ones. My goggles have no effect on peripheral vision.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Get longer skis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You shouldn't be looking at your skis, it won't do any good. Control of the skis are not regained with eyes unless you have some magic skills. There is little use in seeing what's already under your skis as you will feel it first, so look ahead instead. I am not sure I can see my skis with goggles on without moving my head but I have never checked. Being able too see your hands is way more important but it's a function of (a) goggles with sufficient FOV and (b) not dropping your hands.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The most convincing although not favourite rationale is you don't look at your shoes when you are walking so why look at your skis when skiing.
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
The most convincing although not favourite rationale is you don't look at your shoes when you are walking so why look at your skis when skiing.

Nor when you ride a bike do you look at the handlebars or when you drive your car look at the steering wheel, nor type look at the keyboard.

To the OP, if your goggles really are that restrictive, and not just a perception, then get different goggles, I find that my reading glasses obscure a page of the book more than my goggles restrict my vision (but I can't really remember the last time I looked at my skis whilst skiing)
snow conditions
marcellus wrote:
nor type look at the keyboard.

Sad Embarassed
snow report
Claude B, One does need to look at it occasionally.... to mop the tea off it.... usually after stuff like this...

blahblahblah wrote:
Get longer skis.

Laughing Laughing
latest report
Take the goggles off, they aren't uniform. I only ever wear them in extreme weather, otherwise glasses work.
snow report
sHAF in Boots wrote:
Claude B, One does need to look at it occasionally.... to mop the tea off it.... usually after stuff like this...

blahblahblah wrote:
Get longer skis.

Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing
This has got to be a wind-up, no?
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
sHAF in Boots wrote:

blahblahblah wrote:
Get longer skis.

Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing
This has got to be a wind-up, no?

Must be after all Claude B never drinks just tea! Wink
latest report
Anyone tried the frameless goggles?
snow report
NE1, I like to look of them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy