Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Myth of Braveheart

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
When and why does the Braveheart chair at Nevis run?

I used it a few times maybe 15 years ago when I was still feart of getting over the cornice, but have never seen it running in the last few years. It's almost like some unspoken rule that Nevis Range has the best skiing in Scotland but they rarely make the effort to make it available.

Is the chair knackered?
Does it cost too much to run?
Is it horribly unsafe?
Does the snow cover not reach the bottom of the lift yet wink

On the odd occasion when I do venture up to Scotland I used to be desperate to know if it was going to run, but to be honest these days it doesn't even occur to me that it might run. It's just basically a non lift like that one up above the Sellajoch that goes above Steinerne Stadt.

When was the last time it ran?
How often does it run each year?
Is there any way of finding out when it will run?

Why don't they advertise the fact that it will run, then turn the damn thing on and take huge amounts of money off people for the privilege or riding some of the best terrain there is?

I just don't get it.

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I realise that you can lap the lower back corries runs quite efficiently using Alpha and Warrens, but I've never ventured skiiers right of Chancer across that ridge and down the corrie below easy gulley. I'd really love to do that when the lift's running.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it runs most seasons, albeit not for many days usually.
Until last season it was underpowered as the wrong motor was installed originally I believe and they only loaded every 2'nd chair but they have fixed that now and it's more reliable.
Also it needs good cover for the diesel to get in by piste beast for it and for ski patrol to get people out using a stretcher on the ground
they always advertise it when they intend to run it, it probably hasn't run this year due to too much snow and the real danger of avalanches from the headwall/cornices

the best runs are not serviced from it, dropping in from the top and traversing back round gets much better runs half of the best terrain is missed by using it
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
geeo, but it takes a fair bit of time to traverse around and back up doesn't it, compared to lapping Braveheart?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Apparently they are waiting on parts for it at the moment to fix the damage caused by lightning earlier in the winter. Hopefully it will be open soon!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

geeo, but it takes a fair bit of time to traverse around and back up doesn't it, compared to lapping Braveheart?

yes not the fastest but you get at least 2x the skiing and 5x the fun
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The NR staff have clearly been spending most of their time digging out tows on the front side of the hill.

Pretty sure the mythical "broken-heart" chairlift will spin this season once we get some more settled weather.

Though as Geo says - you can still have some great fun without it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I always preferred it when the lift wasn't open anyway.

Blue skies, deep powder, no crowds, ride down as far as you dare, then hike up and across to get to the traverse out. Only about a 20 minute hike, then Alpha + Warrens + hike the ridge up to the top.

Getting misty-eyed here... Blush
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy