Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

English Ski Schools in Val Thorens?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A quick Google seems to show there's only one native English speaking instructor in Val Thorens who works for ESF?

I'm looking to get a at least a few half day lessons with particular focus on skiing off piste. I've seen Marmalade mentioned a few times on here but they're Meribel based-would it be feasible to get down there and back from VT?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated I'm there 15/3/14.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many ESF instructors speak good English.

Given the number of medals that we brits have won on snow compared to Alpine countries I know I would rather be taught by a local who didnt speak perfect English than a Brit who spoke good English but skied like a Brit.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look at prosneige - they're used for the EOSB, and I've had private lessons with them doing a lot of off-piste. My instructor is frnech but speaks great english, and they have english instructors too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski-cool is also very good with english speaking instructors. Look at their website
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
emwmarine, not sure what the correlation is between an olympic medal haul and the quality of a ski instructor from the UK? I'm sure that anyone with a BASI qualification has to do an equivalence test to be able to work in France. My point being I'd probably prefer a fully qualified native english speaker to someone equally qualified with english as a second language, unless of course I can get specific suggestions.

fixx, & garethjomo, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look at those.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bene wrote:
emwmarine, not sure what the correlation is between an olympic medal haul and the quality of a ski instructor from the UK? I'm sure that anyone with a BASI qualification has to do an equivalence test to be able to work in France. My point being I'd probably prefer a fully qualified native english speaker to someone equally qualified with english as a second language, unless of course I can get specific suggestions.

fixx, & garethjomo, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look at those.

Simplistically, we Brits are pretty rubbish skiers compared to those who have grown up in the alps and I would rather be taught by an expert.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think we've had this debate before repeatedly, but i'd rather be taught by someone who understands my perspective and communicates and teaches well, than someone who is an expert at DOING the thing in question. I want them to be GOOD at doing it, but not necessarily the best, and not necessarily the one who has been doing it longest. Hence I prefer brit native instructors who at some point at least will have had to cope with the 1-2 weeks year on snow experience which is my life....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah, it doesn't really matter how much of an expert somebody is if all they communicate is "No, no, that's all wrong. Like this!"
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
emwmarine, Most recreational skiers simply don't need to learn to race on skis, which is a different technique altogether (In part because the skis barely resemble recreational skis, especially GS and up)

I'd vote for an instructor who has learned to teach, something the BASI system excels at.

If you insist on a native French, ask Claude Decagny (snowarea.net) who is based in Courchevel, fairly easy to reach from Val T.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So let me see. Take Rugby for example. The best Premiership coaches at the moment are Richard Cockerill, Mike Ford, Jim Mallinder, Dorian West, Dean Richards (despite floodgate) and Dean Ryan.

Let's see. Yep, all pretty excellent players themselves in the past.

I think i'll leave the BASI instructors in the snow covered tilted ice skating rinks and see locals who have grown up skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alex ferguson and jose muhrino were pretty rubbish at pig bladder kicking.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hobbiteater wrote:
Alex ferguson and jose muhrino were pretty rubbish at pig bladder kicking.

They were both professional footballers which puts them into the top 1% of ability.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
emwmarine wrote:

I think i'll leave the BASI instructors in the snow covered tilted ice skating rinks and see locals who have grown up skiing.

excellent! that will leave more availability for others who value some truly excellent English instructors
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
emwmarine, who is the best coach for the local schools under 10s rugby? Still an ex pro or would you think the boys might be perfectly fine with someone who used to play for their university blues team but was great fun?

I am in no way in the skiing premiership - if I was we'd agree, but like most brits i doubt I'm even in the local village team equivalent Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy