Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it worth making a trip to Ski Scotland this weekend?

Poster: A snowHead
Flights ex Belfast £60

Car Hire £45

2 nights B&B

Flying into Inverness (Aberdeen is too expensive)

Do you think there will be enough good quality ski-ing? Will the snow last? What is the forecast?

Is Cairngorn easiest to get top from Inverness? I have only been to Lecht before. Travelled from Aberdeen?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnboy, the A9 is now a modern road, so I think you do Aviemore in about 30 mins from Inverness town (don't know about the airport's location). Then you drive 9 miles up to the mountain. Cairngorm is way more exciting to ski than The Lecht, but currently they're only running the funicular (mind you, this provides about 1500 ft vertical if you can ski it to the bottom station. If you can only ski to the mid station, it's still a great run).

If you want some interesting accommodation, check out the youth hostel at Glenmore - fabulous location, near Loch Morlich, very close to the mountain. Or maybe Glenmore Lodge would put you up (its a national outdoor training centre, don't know if they provide ad-hoc accommodation).

For B+B, I'd stay in Carrbridge - lovely village, 3 miles from Aviemore. The Struan House Hotel is steeped in ski history - go there for a drink, even if you don't stay there. And drink at the Winking Owl, Aviemore.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the info David.

The forecast is starting to put me off though with rain upto 1000m.

Would really love to go though as this time last year I was on the slopes of Lake Louise Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I see what you mean, johnboy. I gather the farming expression is 'make snow while the sun shines'.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Inverness airport is around 10 miles East of inverness so you have to drive 10 miles to Inverness then 30 miles to Aviemore. Me and the mates are going down this weekend to try and get some practice in for Tignes #!!! cant wait Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Check out the pics and reports on www.winterhighland.com. Lots of info to help you make up your mind. Big issue for the weekend is the melt rate or how much consolidation will happen
Check out the thread on CML (Cairngorm Mountain Limited) etc
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Now running the ptarmigan tow aswell.

Accomodation wise you could camp at Loch Morlich - I may be this weekend depends on the forecast.

At the moment doesn't look like its going to get too mild. Thursday is looking like the warmest day with freezing levels around the tops. Should then get a bit cooler over the weekend.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not that I know what I'm talking about but looking on winterhighland it suggests a bit of rain followed by the temp dropping again and more snow .... isn't that exactly what you want? doesn't that creat a freeze thaw scenario which provides a 'protected' solid base for the next snow to build on? I amaze myself with how I renew my optimism year after year after year ...... oh for some real lasting snow!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If I were you I'd decide the day before, as the forecasts will be more accurate.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
gregh,

Only prob is the cost of the flight will go up the longer I wait

Currently £58 (Remember to take out their £4.00 Insurance)

In a week's time I can go for £35
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
to true johnboy, but check my pics of Scotland here (scroll down) to see how much it can change in a few days....

http://www.gregh.co.uk//html/ski.htm
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gregh, Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 brian
brian
johnboy, went up to Cairngorm today. Fantastic snow, little wind, light very flat at the top though.

Piccies here:

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php/cat/570

If you can get cheaper flights to Edinburgh, don't rule out Glenshee. 1.5 - 2 hrs from the airport depending on traffic.

Plus at least Glenshee is still a ski centre rather than a mountain attraction that grudgingly puts up with a skiing past (more rant to follow on this later).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just go for it mate!!

We just booked a house £110 quid between 6 cracking deal as we get to use the facilities at Dalfaber Golf course which is pretty cool !!

Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Guys,

If your quick you can see some footage from CairnGorm Mountain on Tuesday here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/media/demand/news/bb/nw_rep1830_all_16x9_bb.ram

Fast forward to 18m 40seconds or so. This clip will self destruct at 18.30hrs Wednesday 30th Nov though when it gets replaced with the next edition of Reporting Scotland.
latest report
Brian

Thanks for the piccies. A good trip down memory lane. I have not been to Cairngormm for over 15 years. Interesting to see how the layout of the snow fences has changed on the lower slopes. Question for you - how many rocks did you hit? That's always been my lasting memory of early ski-ing on the Gorm.
latest report
 brian
brian
Rob D, surprisingly few ! If you stick to the bit they've pisted, traverse/105/zig zags and car park runs there are no rocks at all Shocked

I think I actually did more base damage negotiating my way over fences from the M1 to the Lady Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy