Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passo Tonale Bank???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
After recommendations from this very forum some friends (four adults, four children) and I are going to Passo Tonale on the 22 Feb and we are sooooooooo looking forward to it.
My question is really aimed at people who have been.
Is there anywhere to exchange sterling and is it better to do so, rather than back in the UK.
I feel Uk banks etc etc rip the people here off with there exchange rates and I am hoping to get a slightly better deal in Italy.
PS I do everything in cash, ie no cards......

Many thanks

DJ
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Drunkenjoiner, it's a few years since I spent a week in Passo Tonale, but I was there for a day a few weeks ago, and it didn't look to have changed much. From my recollection, there was a single cashpoint in Passo Tonale. I don't recall a bank. I wouldn't rely on being able to exchange your money there. I think I managed to lift some euros from the cashpoint when I was in Passo Tonale, but beware as lifting money on a debit card is often the worst thing to do.

Overall though, I don't think your assertion about exchange rates in the UK is correct. Have a look at moneysavingexpert to see what the best way of exchanging money is in your particular circumstance. It can make a big difference where you exchange the money and how much. Sadly, the best option in terms of exchange rates, of a credit card specifically tailored to international travel, isn't generally available when you're skiing, as the restaurants are pretty keen on cash.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks sugarmoma666 for your answers.
I will take a look at moneysavingexpert and try sort out the best exchange I can.
Best regards,
DJ
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Drunkenjoiner, I don't know Passo Tonale but from experience I know that finding a cashpoint in Italy can sometimes be difficult. And I most definitely wouldn't rely on just one - what if it has a fault?

If you don't use cards you'll be better off taking plenty of euros - and as sugarmoma666 says, shop around for a decent rate. You will probably find that the difference between the best and the worst offers wouldn't pay for much of a round of drinks.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Google maps show a bank sort of opposite the bottom of the Vittoria lift. There is definitly a cash point (I've used it), but can't remember if it has a bank attatched or not.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your replies guys.
I think I will just take a lump of euros and shop round this side for the best deal.
I must admit pam w, people (me) often get eat-up on the best rate but usually it only make a difference of a large pizza anyway.

Whatever happens, I really cannot wait.

Best regards

DJ
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went there a few years ago and it is the only place I have ever had trouble getting money out.
I bank with Halifax and kept trying the cash point by the bank in the centre of town but it kept refusing it, I asked in bank there but no help, called Halifax and they said it was because I had not told them I was going away, But I have never had to do that before. they said it should work in 24 hour, tried again next day, still no good, by the next day I had no money for lunch so went back to bank at lunch time, still did not work, again went in bank, this time there was a different guy who spoke a bit more English, he said that some UK cards did not work at this bank and the try the one down the road to the Left when looking at the main slopes ( near the Paridaso I think) walked to here (in ski boots so not much fun) and card worked first time.
Probable lost an hour ski time, so since then always take enough for the week.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's been a few years for me too, but from memory there is a cashpoint in Passo Tonale somewhere near the medical centre in the "main" village Happy

There is definitely a bank and cashpoints in Ponte di Legno though, which is the larger town down the valley. I would say it's a 5-10 min walk from the base of the lifts into town though. The ski down used to be sketchy and very dependent on conditions but I gather there is snow making now and a fairly new gondola back up. If conditions are good then the skiing is nice in the trees at Ponte di Legno (normally quieter than up in Tonale too). I believe there are now runs down as far down as Temu with lifts back up also.

Went there several times with school groups before the newer lifts were installed and really enjoyed it. Have fun!

Cheers
LY
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is also a cashpoint next to (or opposite) the ticket booth near the gondola up to the glacier. I know because when I tried to buy lift passes on a card the machine link was down and they could only accept cash so had to make a withdrawal.

Agree with others though that exchanging money before you go is usually better than withdrawing on a debit card due to the two charges applied to the transaction. Some cards are still free abroad and pre pay cards overcome this as well.

EDIT: On re-reading where it is I've implied the cash machine is at the gondola. It isn't, it's up the road a bit in a short run of shops opposite the Hotel Paradiso.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 10-02-14 13:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure of your level, but if you are not up for the tricky run down to Ponte di Legno you can easily take the gondola down then access the village and tree lined runs from there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ohhh, we're going to passo tonale for the first time on the second too! Was search for advice mostly pistes, when a fund this thread. Thanks all. See you there drunken joiner!

Right off to get more Euros tomorrow
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy