Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to France - Half Term madness?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We haven't even left home yet. Best start packing....

Any warnings from the advance guard who are in resort already? snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The wind was awful overnight... Very dangerous until we were south of Dijon. Then the rain hit until Geneva. Not the best overnight ever... But now in Morzone and already done a couple of hours on the slopes...so all is forgiven!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stumbler wrote:
Have EUR50 in the car in cash for speeding fines. It's normally EUR45 if you're under 160kph - pay in cash and you're quickly on your way!

Last time I got stopped I had an entertaining chat with the police, who openly admitted that they thought it was quite safe to nail it along the autoroutes; all they're interested in is revenue. So pay in cash and you get a smile and an au-revoir. If you have to card it, there's more paperwork (it's France) and they don't like it.

If you want to save EUR45 then the "trigger" for showing an interest is 137kph, with >140kph likely to lead to a stop - it depends on how much they've made and how you're driving.

It's 90 euro on autoroute Blanche. Theyll take a cheque but i suspect cash is easier to slip into a pocket. It's a pitiful way to try and get a virtually bankrupt country back in the black. It seems any Frenchman/ woman interested in making money is currently based in London, not really surprising
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Back, having had an effortless journey there and back, with plenty of skiing.

Never having driven to France before as grown ups with a child, I would definitely do it again.

Leaving Friday 5.30 am from the North West, we checked in on the 10.15 ferry to Calais. It was a calm and uneventful crossing, with hardly time for breakfast, just as well we moved everything forward, I believe the evening sailings were cancelled!

Drive down easy, a bit of bad weather to start, cleared by Reims. We went via Bourg en Bresse and Lyon Airport, to overnight just outside Lyon, small basic hotel booked the same evening, getting there 9pm after stopping at the services for tea.

Got up early to beat the Paris traffic and arrived in resort Sainte Foy, 8.30am, where we went for a quick coffee and sorted out my skis and passes.

In the Chalet at 10am, on the slopes by 12.00 - result.

Return journey this Sat. Left 6am, snow chains needed for the first time to get down the hill, traffic fine, drove with a couple of stops to get the 17.55 ferry, home 11.00pm, having lost an hour.

8 year old perfectly happy, plugged into IPad with films, Kindle and DS!

The snow was fantastic, we had one day the second lift broke in resort, so we could go to Les Arcs FOC, but chose to go to La Rosiere with half price pass, however visibility poor, as snowing hard, so only did half a day.

Lots of powder in SF (I can't do powder rolling eyes ), other half was in his element. By the end of the week, 8 year old skied down the red from the top, loved it was parallel and planting with style after time spent with us. ESF ski school started well, but deteriorated by the second day, she kept going, but next time will invest the 200 euros in a couple of privates with someone who doesn't take an hour before they actually start skiing and spends less time chatting on the phone! I did mention it to the company, but got that 'shrug' the French do so well!

The Private Chalet Company was the best we have done to date, and after many years doing our own thing, or in hotels, we would definitely go with them again.

Hope everyone else, got back safely and had a good time, we are thinking now about End of March!!!!!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy