Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to France - Half Term madness?

Poster: A snowHead
diesel cheaper in France even on the motorway.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reading this thread has made me redo the maths on the journey!!! leaving for the 2020 tunnel on Friday, overnight Laon, then up early (we are a swimming family so 0430 is the norm for us) to beat the traffic. Hope to be at Bourg St M for about 1330 give or take a couple of stops. final destination Arc 1950

Silver Merc GL, roofbox, six sets of skis, bike carrier with bags lashed (really well) on, mum, dad, four kids. Don't ask about the mpg!!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Like me some cheap diesel .. thanks!

Also, is it easy to buy/use pay as you go SIM cards in France? Seems like that would be a good way to save on roaming but I've never tried it over in France.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No, not easy at all to buy payg SIM cards in France. We use Vodafone UK and pay the £3 per day that gives us our UK plan while we are in France, including data. You only get charged the £3 on days you use it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another doing the drive here. Leaving MK at 3pm on the dot, pickin OH up from the school gates. Aware the UK leg will be hell but have a 9pm tunnel booked. Heading to Switzerland through the night. 4 people, 3 sets of skis and a board in a 5 series estate. Managed to avoid a roof rack to help with the mpg though. I actually enjoy driving through the night, but second the shout about lol roll and a bin bag. I like my car not covered in crisp wrappers but you can also kneel on it to fit chains. Anyone know if the problems still exist with the automated fuel pumps using a standard UK visa account (we have a selection of banks to try mind)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We're off to Alpe D'Huez tomorrow, from Peterborough. Driving through the night, no stops. Tunnel at @ 11pm. Two kids, ipad, dvd player, and wine gums aplenty! Looks like the snow will make it all worthwhile. I'll just keep telling myself that....... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skribble wrote:
Reading this thread has made me redo the maths on the journey!!! leaving for the 2020 tunnel on Friday, overnight Laon, then up early (we are a swimming family so 0430 is the norm for us) to beat the traffic. Hope to be at Bourg St M for about 1330 give or take a couple of stops. final destination Arc 1950

Silver Merc GL, roofbox, six sets of skis, bike carrier with bags lashed (really well) on, mum, dad, four kids. Don't ask about the mpg!!!!

I see your sliver Merc GL and raise you a black Nissan Navara, three adults, one child, two weeks worth of kit and four sets of ski's.

20.00 overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam, I'll jump the landing bridge as it is lowered then hit cruise control at 80mph for the journey to Sestriere and arrivve the same day.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Hope to be at Bourg St M for about 1330 give or take a couple of stops.

Hmm. That'll be a slow journey into, and up from, Bourg St M. Better to be a lot earlier, or a lot later.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Also, is it easy to buy/use pay as you go SIM cards in France?

Yes, just walk into a mobile phone shop and buy one. They are as ubiquitous in France as UK. IIRC they are even for sale in SuperU. However, I gave up with mine and decided that since I was on holiday I didn't actually need to talk to anyone.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PamW, I hear you about 1330 at BSM. I hope we can get there earlier but I'm not sure any timings can be banked on. I will be in holiday mode by then and what will be will be - which if it's anything like last year means arriving at 2100!

Homers Double - Sestriere ought to be awesome. I was in the VL area two weeks ago and it was awesome. if you get a white out head over to Sauze D'Oulx and ski the trees, we had a fantastic day doing that. Maybe we need an average MPG thread when we get back. I think i will be about 21!!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skribble, I'd be inclined to have a nice lie-in (especially if you normally have to get up at 0430!), a pleasant meal or two en route, and aim to get up there during the evening. Maybe the same time as last year but with a lot less time spend in traffic jams wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skribble, I know! Cant wait! Stoke levels are atleast +16 now!

I've skiied the are loads so don't even need a piste map unless I venture in to france so know the tree lined runs you mean, red 27 is a fave along with those around it which you can link into.

Average in my truck is about 29mpg driving around 70 like a girl on the motorway, this time I've got to push 80 for 9 hours and overtake anything which dares stand in my way.

In a safe and responsible manner of course Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lie in? what's that? Ok, we leave at 0515 just so I can tell people I spoil my kids on holiday!!!!! Seriously, that's a good plan, thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well nearly ready for the off. Like the news that fuel is cheaper in France, but does little to soften the blow of 22mpg in a 5 series. homers, yours is positively economical.

Ipad, Ipod, Iphone chargers for the car purchased today, films downloaded onto the Ipad, with a couple in the Cloud for swapping on the return (the elusive DVD player remains elusive!).

Wishing we too had done the tunnel, as the ferry in these winds could be 'interesting'. OH has researched the route and is going via 'Dole' as Autoroutes FR has suggested. We haven't booked our Friday even accommodation yet, did look, but were not sure how far we could expect to be, bearing in mind ferry delays, so going to run the gauntlet and book when we have a better idea.

Using the Vodaphone £3 a day, works well as can tether the Ipad and get good internet connection. I had three people tethering to me last summer and didn't cost anymore than the £3.

Safe journey everyone, if you get chance do check in, it would be useful to know how traffic is along the way, who is going to take the lead? Razz
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Overhead signs on the M3 at the moment advising to be aware of High Winds tomorrow.
ski holidays
boredsurfin, by tomorrow the wind will have blown the signs away so we won't have to pay any attention them and can bomb on Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Do not speed on approach to the tolls, too easy for the gendarmes....and remember that the speed limit drops to 110 on the motorway if it's wet.
Head torch.
Rubbish bin or bag for the car.
Enjoy.....but a ferry, in this weather? Seasickness tablets! We take the tunnel, always.
snow report
snowyowl wrote:
Do not speed on approach to the tolls, too easy for the gendarmes....and remember that the speed limit drops to 110 on the motorway if it's wet.
Head torch.
Rubbish bin or bag for the car.
Enjoy.....but a ferry, in this weather? Seasickness tablets! We take the tunnel, always.

The dover - calais ferry barely moves even in a full gale. (Unlike my 26 foot sailing boat going across.) The Dover straight can build up a nasty chop but never really a large swell.

Now the fishgaurd - rosslare ferry in a full SW gale with the full atlantic swell coming in across the shallows of the western approaches - there you might need seasickness tablets.
snow report
emwmarine, i could be sick sat in the bath! Tunnel every time for me these days spoo
snow conditions
mind you, given the weather forecast now for tomorrow evening, I wouldn't be surprised if the ferries were cancelled. The Dover entrance might not be tenable in 60mph southerlies.
ski holidays
emwmarine,
Quote:

The dover - calais ferry barely moves even in a full gale.

Well I was on a ferry a few years ago and the bottles all crashed off the shelves of the duty free, made a terrible mess and so dangerous! The plates and glasses would not stay on the tables in the cafe and people were falling off chairs because of the severe rocking. They closed the kitchens and the restaurant. It was very scary. That was Portsmouth/Cherbourg.

Does that terrible Fast Ferry thing still run..the one they call the seasick express? Never again. Just No.
A mate of mine is a Marine Vessel Inspector and he will not travel on a RO-RO ferry. Nuff said.
latest report
snowyowl,
Quote:

terrible Fast Ferry thing

we were on one of those once from Portsmouth to Cherbourg - had been windy for days before although not that day, but the big swell still remained. Wasn't the swell that bothered me but the smell as the trip went on - and I had no sympathy when I saw some of those in a slightly bad way who we had seen in the terminal at Portsmouth stuffing their faces with fried food. I had to get my nail varnish out to freshen the air a bit!
snow report
Have EUR50 in the car in cash for speeding fines. It's normally EUR45 if you're under 160kph - pay in cash and you're quickly on your way!

Last time I got stopped I had an entertaining chat with the police, who openly admitted that they thought it was quite safe to nail it along the autoroutes; all they're interested in is revenue. So pay in cash and you get a smile and an au-revoir. If you have to card it, there's more paperwork (it's France) and they don't like it.

If you want to save EUR45 then the "trigger" for showing an interest is 137kph, with >140kph likely to lead to a stop - it depends on how much they've made and how you're driving.
latest report
Quote:

It's normally EUR45 if you're under 160kph

I paid €90 IIRC (might have been €80 but definitely not less) for doing 42 mph through a small village with no speed limit signs (but the two cowsheds and a café which closed shortly after the Second World War did have a name so I should have known the limit was 30 mph Embarassed ). I had to pay cash - he held passports whilst I went back to the nearest (not that near....) cashpoint
ski holidays
Been driving to French alps for 13 years and never been caught...keep your eyes peeled, always take heed of the roadsigns which announce the cameras, and in time you get to know where the gendarmes hide. Haven't been done in the UK since 1985 and that was 82 mph on the motorway in the dark....still sore about that one, i got 3 points. Seems to me that coughing up £50 and no paperwork would be loads easier...I wonder how much of it makes it to the French coffers though.
snow report
Pam w - as you say, anywhere that has a name is restricted in speed. For those driving in France, this starts at the village name and ends with the sign with the name with a red line through it.

I'm quite cavalier about speeding, but only on motorways. More so on French ones because it doesn't involve points, and the fine is quite reasonable. Mind you, EUR90 for speeding in a village isn't unreasonable.

If you've got British plates then you don't need to worry about the cameras - just be careful at night because they're forward-facing and the flash can be a bit blinding. The UK Govt didn't sign up to the EU regulation on this, so they can't get your details from DVLA or enforce it. Same goes for Switzerland, Italy, etc.

BEWARE, however, that if you're in a Swiss plated car in France then you *can* get a ticket. You don't have to pay it (naughty) but the rental company will charge you a ridiculous amount for being "helpful" and sending it on to you.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 14-02-14 14:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Oh, and whilst talking about autoroutes, I recommend http://www.aprr.fr/fr for a "doofa" for the tolls. Sanef has a UK company, and I think you can get one from Eurotunnel but they're all expensive and hassle. APRR's option signs you up, gets you a tag and simply links to your UK debit card. They send you an invoice at the end of the month and debit the card sometime after. It only costs (and not much) in the months that you use it.

It's a boon when travelling alone because the French have put all the tollbooths on the wrong side. Less of a benefit if you've a passenger, but still nice not to have to dig out a card and feed tickets in the peeing rain, etc.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 14-02-14 14:39; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Stumbler wrote:
Oh, and whilst talking about autoroutes, I recommend http://www.aprr.fr/fr for a "doofa" for the tolls. Sanef has a UK company, and I think you can get one from Eurotunnel but they're all expensive and hassle. APRR's option signs you up, gets you a tag and simply links to your debit card. They send you an invoice at the end of the month and debit the card sometime after. It only costs (and not much) in the months that you use it.

It's a boon when travelling along because the French have put all the tollbooths on the wrong side. Less of a benefit if you've a passenger, but still nice not to have to dig out a card and feed tickets in the peeing rain, etc.

We've got a 'doofa' and it's a godsend!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stumbler, Fenfilly, we have a euro tunnel sanef doofer and it's simple and quick and it cost €3 for the year. It's linked to a UK account. It's not (imo)expensive or hassle!
We once got an Italian parking ticket so I think they can get your details, somehow. I don't risk it. 130 kph is 90 ish which imo is fast enough.
ski holidays
Stumbler, We too have a Sanef Doofer and its no hassle at all. very easily fits on windscreen and not expensive. and it is an absolute godsend as you save quite a bit of time when queues are heavy at the toll booths.
snow report
Smug factor 10 Very Happy
ski holidays
OK, hassle might not be the right word. When I looked into them, it was the most expensive option: I compared the Eurotunnel, SANEF UK and then each of the operating companies. I recall the Eurotunnel and the SANEF one wanted a full credit check and also setting up direct debit mandates and the like. The APRR was cheapest in terms of fees and were happy with a UK debit card.
snow report
jirac18 wrote:
Stumbler, We too have a Sanef Doofer and its no hassle at all. very easily fits on windscreen and not expensive. and it is an absolute godsend as you save quite a bit of time when queues are heavy at the toll booths.

The best bit of a doofer??? Chelsea tractor flies by doing 20 to the gallon. Catch and pass at the next tolls with the doofer. Takes them 40 miles to catch us again. All the gear and no ....
snow report
Jerby, Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

130 kph is 90 ish

Puzzled
ski holidays
Jerby wrote:
The best bit of a doofer??? Chelsea tractor flies by doing 20 to the gallon. Catch and pass at the next tolls with the doofer. Takes them 40 miles to catch us again. All the gear and no ....

Hey!!! I resemble that remark Embarassed
ski holidays
pam w, my maths indicates 82 mph, you are right to be confused, but on the car it reads both in kph and mph and 130 is nearer 90, I have just been to look! rolling eyes
latest report
jamescollings wrote:
Jerby wrote:

Hey!!! I resemble that remark Embarassed

The truth hurts Laughing Toofy Grin

All hail the doofer .
snow report
snowyowl, nearer 81 mph, and nearer 68 when it's wet. wink

Jerby, I like my doofer too, but it's not a lot of help when there's a couple of miles of queues.
snow report
pam w wrote:
snowyowl, nearer 81 mph, and nearer 68 when it's wet. wink

Jerby, I like my doofer too, but it's not a lot of help when there's a couple of miles of queues.

Where did you hit that today?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy