Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whinging Journalists are very wrong: Sochi looks spectacular

Poster: A snowHead
As usual, the miserable journalists have been wanting a disaster and building Sochi up as being a terrible, badly organised Winter Olympics.

Well in my opinion it looks absolutely spectacular.

Looking forward to FANTASTIC games.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like lots of snow on my TV Very Happy Very Happy They have been telling us for weeks there isn't any Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apparently they have spent as much on these games than all other games (winter) put together, so they said on the telly
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I looks great, fingers crossed for a medal.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
According to the few reviews I have seen the mens downhill os going to be brutal.

And it does look good.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think its going to be great.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shimmy Alcott, I think they have used these games as an excuse to upgrade massively the whole infrastructure of the area. What does one include/exclude?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stunning mountains and the slope style course looked truly amazing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ringingmaster, Absolutely --- but its Russia , so the journos think that dishing out bollox is what the public really want. Morons ( the media that is !)

Shows what a heap of shoite journalism is -- -you will get a much better feel from reading the tweets of the athletes who are there and watching the TV.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Filthyphil30k wrote:
I looks great, fingers crossed for a medal.

Yes, I too hope you get one Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Journalists here also appear to delight in the problems at Sochi. One was talking about how the media hotels were not finished and was quite put out when a senior official from the the NZ team said that was of no consequence to the athletes Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Considering that Russia is pretty much a dictatorship with poor human rights and that these Olympics are a massive propaganda piece for Putin, with huge corruption in a country where a lot of people are very poor, you can see why many journalists would have a somewhat cynical outlook.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
madlondoner wrote:
Considering that Russia is pretty much a dictatorship with poor human rights and that these Olympics are a massive propaganda piece for Putin, with huge corruption in a country where a lot of people are very poor, you can see why many journalists would have a somewhat cynical outlook.

Good to see you read the papers ! I wonder how many country names you could replace the word 'Russia' with? Many considered UK friendly …… … i might respectfully suggest you start from the position the journos are playing to.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Those in glass houses....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Russia is top of the hate list for most journalists and western politicians, so of course we've been fed, and continue to be fed, massive anti-Russian propaganda. I hope the games are a massive success.
latest report
This is a very odd thread. It is actually legit news that a whole bunch of the buildings projects were not finished and sub par because this games was so expensive. It's not just journalists complaining but a lot of athletes also posting the weird and wonderful results on Twitter and other social media. It's a huge embarrassment to Russia. If the games weren't a success it would be a massive surprise, they cost enough. That doesn't mean there are no issues with them or that the hosts are above criticism.
snow conditions
meh wrote:
...That doesn't mean there are no issues with them or that the hosts are above criticism.

Of course, but the journos are really over-doing it IMHO (which is nothing new I suppose) and it's become embarrassing.
Less politics more sports reporting pls....some in-depth stuff on the teams taking part would be nice. I don't know much about the majority of the competitors and I'm sure I'm not alone. How does the scoring work for slopestyle, ice-skating etc? More ice hockey.
snow report
meh, your opinion appears to be in the minority on snowheads. Are you connected to the media industry?
latest report
I don't see why we can't laugh at Putin for being a prick whilst simultaneously enjoying the games? I am really looking forward to all the alpine races, plus slope and pipe, I am also looking forward to the next @sochiproblems tweet, the two are not mutually exclusive.
snow report
Disappointing to see so many empty seats for the Men's Downhill. Supposed to be the Blue Riband event of the games yet half the seats seem to be empty.
latest report
ringingmaster, anyone who disagrees with you is connected to the 'media industry'? Hahahahhahahahahahahhahaha... no. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

half the seats seem to be empty.

sounds like some of the events in London!

My grand-daughter was disappointed yesterday. She calls me "Deedah". When her Dad put the Winter Olympics on the telly she asked "Will we see Deedah on there?"

Maybe 2018, Ella, better get some more lessons in. wink
ski holidays
meh wrote:
ringingmaster, anyone who disagrees with you is connected to the 'media industry'? Hahahahhahahahahahahhahaha... no. rolling eyes

Just an observation and a question. Happy
snow report
pam w wrote:

sounds like some of the events in London!
it will be a great shame if the empty seats are for the same reason as some of the London events , sponsors and officials not taking their places, as the IOC should have sorted that problem. But I think it's a lack of local interest (nobody watching from the side of the course, for example), which is most certainly different from London as anyone who tried to get event tickets will know.
ski holidays
Quote:

But I think it's a lack of local interest (nobody watching from the side of the course, for example), which is most certainly different from London as anyone who tried to get event tickets will know.

I think that's probably a consequence of the security operation in place.
snow report
kieranm, well, that's even sadder. The whole event seemed a bit lifeless to me, compared to some of the classic WC races. Not what the Olympics should be like.
snow report
Well the women's slopestyle shows why you should wear a helmet! Split in two at the back on a huge fall.
snow report
Quote:

kieranm, well, that's even sadder. The whole event seemed a bit lifeless to me, compared to some of the classic WC races. Not what the Olympics should be like.

Couldn't agree more, but I'm in no position to judge whether the stringent security is necessary or not.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have now watched 2 days of Olympic events including Alpine, Slopestyle, Luge, Skating etc, etc and it all looks great Very Happy

Who cares if a few journalists have a little coloured water in their taps and have to put up with a few inconveniences, tough wink
snow conditions
meh,
Quote:

anyone who disagrees with you is connected to the 'media industry'?

No, I don't think so, it's just that you seem to be the only one who cares about what the journos hotels are like.

Given that they're being paid to be there, perhaps they should get on with reporting about sport instead whining about the quality of their accommodation.

rolling eyes
snow report
mozwold, on this thread whinging about whinging... no there is at least one other person who posted that doesn't mind. Plus approx 331,000 people subscribed to @SochiProblems currently. Also by any stretch there is plenty more reporting about sport than the problems the venue has faced.

Mind you with the displayed reading comprehension you probably missed it. Toofy Grin
snow report
meh,
Quote:

on this thread whinging about whinging..

Yeah, I guess you're right Very Happy
snow report
Maybe many Russians have aa point that the cost of these Olympics could have been better spent on what Russians needs in their everyday community infrastructure lives.

I bet that thought (Re: 'London 2012') has crossed the minds of those communities in the UK who have and will be flooded out.

The world's Olympic bid cities have got into a race to win the Gold for the Best Olympic Venue of all time and that costs big bucks which imo could be better directed elsewhere.
ski holidays
Ranting aside....honest question here folks, would it inspire you to ski in Russia??...and do you think all the Russian folk we see in our chosen resorts will ski there too??
latest report
dazman wrote:
Ranting aside....honest question here folks, would it inspire you to ski in Russia??...and do you think all the Russian folk we see in our chosen resorts will ski there too??

no because the accomodation is miles away from the slopes, it will be bloody expensive........and why????? Cool
latest report
Quote:

.honest question here folks, would it inspire you to ski in Russia??

Nope. No way. Why would I go to Russia when there is so much good skiing nearer and in easier countries to visit/travel in.
snow report
vinerower wrote:
Russia is top of the hate list for most journalists and western politicians, so of course we've been fed, and continue to be fed, massive anti-Russian propaganda. I hope the games are a massive success.

Indeed. As someone posted elsewhere:-

"Leaders reflect their people. Russia has a Putin because Russians distrust decadent Western culture, including all of the multi-culti, flaming gay, anti-Christian, and screeching feminist bulls@1t. America has Obama because weve passed the point of no return where a majority now embrace that stuff. "
latest report
Russia are putting on a great olypmics - loving the sport from comfort of the sofa Very Happy
Good on them!

FWIW Would love to ski there given the chance.
Compared to a week in Meribel it would be a great cultural and travel experience.
Though probably the big mountains near Elbrus rather than Sochi would be better for off piste / touring.
latest report
Id heard that the journalists hotels were finished on time (by the start of the games) but they all arrived 2 weeks early to setup and obviously the athletes accommodation was a higher priority. I like Russia and think its coming across quite well with the games.

Id also say Id rather theyd spent all the 2012 money on my area rather than the games but thats just because the summer games are so dull and boring, just cant understand people getting excited about running, jumping and riding bikes
snow report
George Jones wrote:
vinerower wrote:

Indeed. As someone posted elsewhere:-

"Leaders reflect their people. Russia has a Putin because Russians distrust decadent Western culture, including all of the multi-culti, flaming gay, anti-Christian, and screeching feminist bulls@1t. America has Obama because weve passed the point of no return where a majority now embrace that stuff. "

I am not sure what is the point of that last paragraph. That's scoring quite high on the reactionary bull$h1t scale... What are the odds of that its author wears white pointed hats as a hobby?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy