Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain awareness courses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can do a relatively inexpensive mountain awareness course?

Also, do I have to be on the mountain for the full period, or are there materials I can be digesting back in the UK? Can I do it in weekly stages?

I ask because after reading many threads and posts here it would appear that at times I have been cavalier in my approach to sliding and not necesarily understood what I have been getting myself into. Embarassed rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try some of these:
http://mountaintracks.co.uk/content/blogcategory/22/46/

http://www.chooseyourevent.com/Personal/Wintersports/Mountain%20and%20Avalanche%20Awareness%20Courses

http://www.avalanche.org/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for this WTFH. The mountaintrack one looks interesting although on the barometer of 'ski/board skill' I don't come off too well!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
saxabar, there's also very good ones in Utah, I can dig up the links if you want...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, if you don't mind that'd be great. To be honest I'm not a full mountain rider, I'm only just starting to venture off-piste. However, as well as having tons of fun I also think I should take it a tad seriously. I have a job move to Calgary planned (I teach at Uni level) purely on the basis of being able to ride out there so I really would like to gain a fuller understanding of all mountain elements.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Take a rec avalanche course. Canadian Avalanche Association organise them. I'm also sure there will be nightschool courses in Calgary with appropriate field trips at weekends, there are at most community colleges in mountain towns in Canada.

I'd recommend the Tony Daffern book as prereading - sure it'll be available from Amazon

http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/searchproducts.cfm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks fatbob , have you ever spent any time in Calgary itself? Although kind folk here have given me the low down on the sliding in the area, I don't know that much about Canada/Calgary itself. I've put an application for a post at Calgary Uni but current research on the city only tells me that there's been an economic resurgence over the last twenty years and they have an enormous proportion of the population under 30. Environment looks chilled and according to 'Lonely Planet' (a traveller guide) many transactions are done under the table to avoid heavy taxation.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saxabar, if you're expecting to do most of your sliding around Calgary, I'd do the course out there. The continental Canadian snowpack is quite different (and usually more complex) from that found in the Alps.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saxabar, I agree with what Arno says - there should be courses in the Calgary area which would be best for you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spent a good while out in BC & Banff not far away from Cowtown. It's nothing special to look to look at compared to say Vancouver but it does have a young outdoor sport loving population but the suburbs stretch further across the prairie every year The U of Calgary ski club will probably hook you up (even if you are a wrinkly teacher) with courses & as I think I've mentioned before Biglines.com is a great local resource. Mountain Equipment Co-op is a hub store for outdoor sports with a backcountry focus.

I wouldn't believe too much in Lonely planet - do they just mean cash in hand jobs? No provincial sales tax in Alberta so plenty of people from BC go shopping there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy