Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoiding ski boots version of 'underpants over trousers'

Poster: A snowHead
If Superman is so smart, how come he wears his underpants over his trousers?

Turns out, I've been doing the same sort of thing with my boots.

I've always clipped my boots up, and then tightened the booster straps

Had a great tip from a boot fitter while in US. Turns out, tightening the booster strap very snugly underneath the shell of the boot, and then clipping up, gives an amazingly snug and comfortable fit. This immediately made a huge difference to my skiing, as able to comfortably pressure boot cuff as needed - something that's always been a struggle

I apologise if everyone knows this already, but after all these years this was news to me. Doh!

Now to sort out the underpants...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sven Coomer (Zipfit) advocates this, I'm yet to try it though, may well do it after this!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always do the booster strap first, and clip my pants to my boots, seems to work for me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mr brain cheat wrote:
tightening the booster strap very snugly underneath the shell of the boot

I cannot tighten the booster strap underneath the shell Puzzled It goes over the outer shell Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Same here, just looked at my boots and the booster strap goes on the outside.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swissie, +1
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Depends on the shape of the top of the cuff I think, I had a pair where I could get the power strap to go inside the shell. It's been posted on here before about doing this.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Previous discussion here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2190751&highlight=powerstrap#2190751
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some boots actually have two straps, one on the inside and one on the outside. I'd RTFM.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow - I can't believe I've been skiing for over 20 years and never heard of this - thought this was a wind up but I have just tried this on my boots - at home - and it does seem to offer more support. I'm hoping this will be a cure all for my skiing and will try it for real next week - thanks all snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Power straps first came in on inner boots I think, then, as mentioned above on both inner and outer boots. I'm not sure if you can get custom liners with power straps anymore, but most boots seem to only have them on the shell now. If you have a boot with a tongue you can usually wrap the power strap under the tongue and hence around the inner, even if it is bolted to the back of the boot. If you have overlapping cuffs I suspect this won't always work though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's no wind up. If it's possible to do it, fixing and tightening the strap first is very effective, but it entirely depends on the design of the boot. It was possible on my previous Salomons but not on my present pair
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In my experience you can do it on most overlap boots. You just need to pull open the cuff and then sort of thread/push the strap in first. Depending on the design of the cuff you sometimes get a bit of a kink in the strap where it goes from the outside at the rear into the boot inside the cuff at the front. I think it is worth doing though as it really ties the liner/your leg to the rear spine of the boot. It seems to give a more connected feel and removes play (and shin bang) at the front of the boot. Just one man's opinion Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good article on edge and wax

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/content/correct-way-to-buckle-ski-boots-edge-amp-wax-guides.aspx
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ade0005, Interesting snowHead
snow conditions
Wow, that's err... a comprehensive guide to putting ski boots on. Shocked
snow report
Quote:
DO NOT march around the resort with everything undone, until you get to a piece of snow to ski on. This just bangs your toes against the front of the boot, and is unstable too!

only if your boots are too big...

didn't bother reading the rest.
ski holidays
meh, love the very last point re squeaky boots

Flaine skier, disagree- whether boots are small,large or just right, you need to keep toes from wanting to press into front of boot whilst walking. You remind me of a guy I worked with who said that he expected to lose toenails training for a marathon and would not accept advice to get trainers to suit his foot shape.
snow conditions
I've got Zipfits and a booster strap.

I used to put the strap inside the liner as it firmed up the boot; but now I usually put the strap outside as I spend more time in bumps and variable snow.
snow conditions
The strap of my boots cannot go under the shell, but I also have a strap on my ZipFits, so I use one strap under the shell and one over it.
snow report
Conversations that could be confused with bondage. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Puting the booster strap under the shell can push you back a bit and give a more upright stance - works better for some but not for others.
ski holidays
ski holidays
The guide to putting on your boots is quite good, except when you are trying to boot up in a car park out of the boot of a car. I always did up my power strap first, however the sequence I did my boots up was always wrong, will do it their way now and see if it makes a difference.
ski holidays
Interesting guide, I do it totally different it has been working well for me. buckle 4 and 3 first (not tight), Zip Fit strap, buckle 2 and 1 - a bit tighter and finish with a power strap. Will print the sequence from the guide and see if it makes any difference, but I have been very happy with my boots, so probably it won't change much.
snow report
Inside! Really? Either I have been doing it all wrong or I am gullible for replying to this thread.
snow report
I do up the power strap, then my buckles, then tighten up the strap. Just seems to make getting the buckles done up much easier
snow conditions
sah wrote:
Power straps first came in on inner boots I think, .

Hmmm, never seen them on inner boots, but did have them fitted to the outer shells of my Salomon SX82s - it was a revelation - Ta Chris Exell. That was the first time I saw them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy