Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big avalanche in Süd Tirol

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Watch the video to the end, it basically buries a house...

http://www.stol.it/Artikel/Chronik-im-Ueberblick/Lokal/Lawine-in-Moos-DAS-VIDEO

http://youtube.com/v/f5waSw2mMfY
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Incredible! Love the way one telegraph pole stays upright for most the trip. Also notice there's people in the houses looking out at the avalanche going down the road.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strewth!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Makes you realise how lucky you are to survive an avalanche. The power of the thing is amazing...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
watching that I would say they were lucky it didnt flatten the house. NE1, agree
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saw this earlier on FB, I can't believe how far the snow travels!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oooof!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That has really amazed me. I can't believe how far it travels after the main avalanche has actually stopped!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder, the main avalanche is still feeding it at 3.40 when the move the camera to focus on the buildings

People forget that snow is heavy, depending on type (this looks quite wet) snow can vary in density from about 100Kg per cubic meter up to about 700kg per cubic meter

If we say that avalanche is at least 100M long 5 M wide and 3M deep (average figures) then thats 1500 cubic meters moving at about 2 meters every 3 seconds or about 2.4 kph if we take a fairly low value for the weight say 400kg/mcubed we get 600 tons of snow moving at 2.4 kph, not much can stop it

Could be worse, powder avalanches can be much larger and faster think in terms of the same sort of mass (powder avalanches are bigger but less dense) but moving at 100 kph, I've seen the results of such an avalanche after it hit a chalet, 10m long 20cm by 10 cm timbers snapped as if they were matches, the only place to shelter from such things is in a cellar and hope you can dig yourself out before the air runs out
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most things flowing like this act like a fluid whilst in motion and can travel great distances … I remember seeing some video on the beeb of a rockslide in Italy which looked just like a river of water!
Something like this
http://youtube.com/v/W4KWxglDL3o
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow. Shocked Shocked Shocked
I'm sat in the office and just showed a couple of non skiers this and some other videos of avalanches, there was a lot of Shocked Shocked
Although they got very excited when I showed them how they use explosives to trigger them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here is the TV report in German the day after with views from inside the house.

http://tvthek.orf.at/program/Suedtirol-heute/1277675
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy