Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anybody ski in their down jacket!

Poster: A snowHead
My father is coming skiing with me next week and it will be the first time in a few years and he doesnt have a great deal of or any kit, so was going to lend him some of mine, ba lot of my kit is for charging all day waterproof but not overly hot.

I think this holiday will be taken at a more leisurely pace than usual so I was considering offering my lightweight synthetic down to go under one of my shells or just giving him my 800 fill down jacket (will he be too hot).

Any advice greatly appreciated?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
aw-hicks, I generally now ski with one of these as my main thermal layer. http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=Mens&category=Insulated_Jackets&model=Atom-LT-Jacket

It's awesome.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I skied in my Patagonia with a down lining (about the same thickness as one of their thin jackets) in -29 in Lake Louise and was warm enough, in Serre Chevalier at about 0 deg I was just starting to get on the too hot side when we hiked up a 30 minute ridge in the sun. I run quite warm, ie don't feel the cold too much, if that's any help.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unless it's -10c a down jacket might be overkill. The shell and insulation layer should be more flexible.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only if it is really really cold!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I ski in my Down jacket on nice sunny days. If I am too hot unzip a little & fasten back up on lifts.

Only ever get overly hot when blasting about Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and it's synthetic down being discussed...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
aw-hicks, I generally now ski with one of these as my main thermal layer. http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=Mens&category=Insulated_Jackets&model=Atom-LT-Jacket
It's awesome.

+1
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for the Atom Hoody. Very good range of temperatures in which it is comfortable.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plus 2 for the Atom LT, but there's no way on earth I'd ski in my 750 fill down jacket. Waaay too hot.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do! But I'm a girl, there's not very much of me, and I get cold. And when I'm cold I get miserable. Years ago I used to ski in a RAB down jacket, now I ski in a North Face 600 fill down ski jacket if it looks like it's not going to be much above zero degrees all day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the advice all, it looks like ski hard no, ski leisurely then maybe, I have a rab xenon x hoody which is very similar to the above, I will let him have that as a an extra layer under a ski jacket if needed and leave the down jacket at home.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i skied in my Rab down jacket last weekend and was fine when it was cold but in the trees, on a windless day I was baking. the sweat started coming through the stitching. I won't be wearing it next week in Les Arcs.

A bit like the OP, I wore it so my son (who really is warm blooded) could use my coat because the idiot managed to come skiing without a coat or gloves.

Try and treat him like an adult (17) and leave him to pack his own kit and he pulls a blinder like that!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
haha skribble, this very much reminds me of the conversation I had last night, dont bring to much as I will give you kit when you arrive, he rings at lunch today and says he is 1.5kg over, so who knows what e's packed in there, we are also off to les arcs tomorrow morning.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I skied in a light down jacket in Feb in Austria a few years ago, but I was wearing that and a base-layer and nothing else.
snow conditions
feef, Shocked
latest report
skribble, I would have made him ski without jacket and gloves. He wouldn't forget them again i'm sure. Twisted Evil
snow report
It wouldn't be for me; I was plenty warm enough last week in a merino baselayer and shell jacket down to minus 24c. I would boil to death in a down jacket, that said my missus would be fine in it, I guess it just depends on the individual.
snow conditions
GottaCatchEmAll, really !! -24 ' where were you skiing ???
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy