Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monarch Ski Carriage - Coffin Bags

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I have booked a ski holiday through Ski France. I have paid for four sets of ski carriage as we have skis for ourselves and our children have their own skis. We only have the large coffin type ski bags (two of them). We want to pack two sets of skis in each bag. Currently Monarch have a 13kg ski carriage limit for one set of skis. What I want to know is whether it is OK to put two pairs in and would this double the weight allowance for each piece. We do not need that much weight but the bags do weigh about 16kg each with only skis and poles in them.

We have asked Monarch and they say that as it is a charter flight that we need to ask the tour operator. The tour operator has told us that we should ask Monarch Mad Has anyone had any experience of Monarch this year who could help Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I posted on Monarch's Facebook page as Ski France were insistent it was down to them. Monarch eventually replied after three day, their reply was that packing the skis in the coffin bags was not a problem with them but that as I had booked with a tour operator I should abide by their terms and conditions/policies. Ski France have NOTHING in their T&Cs that mention ski carriage and so far their customer service has been less than perfect. All I have had is an email which says:

"With regards to ski carriage we strongly advise that you do not combine skis
in large coffin bags. We only say this as we have had passengers turned
away at the airport for doing so previously and subsequently charged
extra. We recommend 4 separate bags with only 1 set of skis and poles
or snowboard and bindings (with a little extra padding from ski clothes
to protect)."

Monarch have said that they will accept the coffin bags with two pairs of skis in each!! So Ski France are talking **** ****. We are not taking the p, we have booked 4 lots of skis.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
luvtoski, we always pay for two lots of ski carriage, but put both sets in one bag, usually travel with a TO and often on Monarch. We have never had a problem and have never even had a query at the desk.

Hope that helps set your mind at rest.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you. I could understand if we had not paid for all the skis as it is more an insurance thing but we have paid for all the skis that we taking with us.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
luvtoski, That is our point of view, but like I said, we have never been asked about it. I'm sure you will be ok.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Coincidentally just called Monarch about this same issue myself - booked direct though and not through TO. Again, we've paid for 2 lots of ski carriage, and I have a large coffin bag so would make sense (for everyone!) to put my other half's skis in there too. Monarch said it was ultimately down to the check in desk, but couldn't see any reason why we'd be turned away with two sets of skis in 1 bag as long as it was less than 26kg in total. They weren't willing to put this in an email though...!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saw folks with coffin bags (gatwick->grenoble, monarch2084/5) on our flight, no problems. Dashed - try them over twitter or facebook, they were very helpful with some queries we had, more so than the phone folks.

That said you can hedge your bets and buy a £9 ski bag from decathlon and put it in the coffin bag just in case?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a.j., very sound advice, will start doing that myself. thanks
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dashed, I did get an answer in writing on the Monarch Facebook page. The answer was given on the 14th February and I will be taking a print out of that to the airport with me along with a print out of the T&Cs of the TO which show no mention of ski carriage.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Took a coffin bag with two pairs of skis in on a Monarch flight from Manchester to Grenoble (and back) on our holiday 19th to 26th Jan. Holiday was with Ski Olympic. Bag weighed over 20kg with Bev's mojo in it as well as the skis. No problems either way, except the girl on check-in at Grenoble was surprised we had paid for two sets of skis and was looking for the other bag.

Not that much bigger than a snowboard bag when all is said and done,

snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy