Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why are girls so much worse than guys?

Poster: A snowHead
At freestyle!! Obviously that was a shameless ploy to get your attention!

I know very little of this jumping/jibbing stuff so I thought I'd ask you lot.... doesn't seem to be a strength thing (most female racers are much stronger than guy freestylers), could be mental but I know some crazy girls, would have thought some would push it bigger, dont think its balance or reflexes (watch gymnasts) so what's the deal?

thoughts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Takes balls.

I can't do it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That was a joke, not a serious comment.

I wonder if testosterone pushes people into more dangerous jumps etc, and showing off?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are a lot of sports though that take balls, and lots of women are top notch at them, so that wouldn't be the only factor. Really it is interesting why more women aren't involved .
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Fear.

Also the vast majority of us ladies aren't THAT stupid Wink. Kickers, sure, they're just snow and you know what happens when you land on snow the wrong way up. But you don't really want to get it wrong on rails...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't completely buy this fear excuse, watch a womens downhill, they go bigger and faster
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Less obsessive personalities that drive them to higher and higher tarriff tricks/ less of an macho ego thing that in early development means they always have to beat their mates? More highly developed brains that value self preservation over "buzz"? Evolution - men as hunter gatherers had to take risks to bring home the bacon, women needed to stick around to look after the cave? I suspect one of the reasons that Vonn did stand out from the female speed pack were certain male personality traits.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
without sounding completely sexist i was thinking the same thing while watching the sochi snowboard slopestyle qualification. the men, even the men with the lowest scores look real good, but the majority of the women look like amatures. Landings look stetchy, jumps are a lot smaller with less rotation, and its the same on the halfpipe.

You watch shaun white on the halfpipe, its so smooth and fluid and big, but you watch say kelly clark, hannah teter and the jumps just look really forced of the lip and a lot lower and smaller.

And like others have mentioned , you watch sownhill skiing and there isnt that hug gulf of ability between men and women.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The progression in women's freestyle in the last few years has been massive though, the more girls who get into the more chance there is of finding someone who is really special or has that extra drive or guts to be really special. It is also true that if little girls don't see women in the parks they are less likely to think they can do the tricks, the more women doing cool tricks the more will want to try, parks (biking and skiing) are still pretty male dominated. I used to watch the X games and think the women just looked a bit like they weren't giving it 100% (said I from the sofa) but watching 9 Queens last year I was really impressed, yes the top guys are now still going further but the young girls look great and are really doing some big tricks.

Looking forward to seeing this years

http://youtube.com/v/6mT2Kv-SVuU
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's the same in other "extreme" sports like downhill/freeride MTB, the women's looks comparatively amateur compared to the men's.

Either it's caused by testosterone or it's just not cool for women to do it so there's far less uptake.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So essentially what lynseyf said Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Though I admire the guys and girls for doing what they do, and some of those jumps are pretty scary, I just don't get excited watching the boarder slopestyle, I get a little more interested in the the ski stuff, perhaps because I ski rather than board.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

it's just not cool for women to do it so there's far less uptake.

Go to Mayrhofen, every girl and her dog wants to be a cool freestyler!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara, Yeah but by that point you've defeated The Fear. There's always nutters on either gender side who see Fear, stare it in the face and blow a raspberry at it. You're talking about why the girls out there on the slopes don't participate right? The Fear stands in the way of getting started. As a gender we're highly driven by self-esteem.

I certainly won't get into it because I don't want to break bones. I've only just mastered getting off a chairlift without falling on my face every time and that's taken 10 days on the mountain this year to do.

Btw I think girl freestylers and freeriders are painfully cool. Also, huge girl crush on Silje Norendal.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Btw I think girl freestylers and freeriders are painfully cool. Also, huge girl crush on Silje Norendal.

Problem is they know it! Good hot girl skiers are far too rare, start getting all sorts of arrogant, had my heart broken when I found out Ingrid Backstrom is a stuck up brat!!!

Find me a nice down-to-earth skier and I'll be there in a heartbeat! Embarassed
snow conditions
call me dave wrote:
dulcamara, Also, huge girl crush on Silje Norendal.

x2
snow conditions
Is it possible to have a thread about female athletes without discussing their looks?! Nah, thought not Laughing
ski holidays
An instructor once told us that men learn skiing much quicker as we have much less sense of self preservation. As with everything, there are some girls with far more bottle than a lot of men but it's mostly the other way around. No black run has ever scared me but the thought of having to look after children is terrifying! .
snow report
I have a man crush on Hoji so all's even
snow report
OMG dulcamara, haven't you seen Chalet Girl??!! wink
snow conditions

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 11-02-14 10:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
miranda, normally I would agree, but sadly all the boy freestylers have mangled faces and about 3 of their own teeth left and aren't much cop for eye candy. Or they need a damn good haircut and a shave. And some strides that fit. And a wash. Probably as a result of being way more keen to fling themselves around more... wink
snow report
Quote:

OMG dulcamara, haven't you seen Chalet Girl??!!

nope, hoping to spend my life around the ski industry without seeing it, avalanche sharks and Frozen have to be watched first!

Quote:

Or they need a damn good haircut

I would honestly pay hundreds to be allowed to cut woodsy's hair off thereby allowing me to grant him the respect he very much deserves!
ski holidays
lynseyf that was a great vid.
snow report
An instructor once told us that men learn skiing much quicker as we have much less sense of self preservation. As with everything, there are some girls with far more bottle than a lot of men but it's mostly the other way around. No black run has ever scared me but the thought of having to look after children is terrifying! .
snow report
Levels of participation and physical advantage basically.
ski holidays
Ty Walker's run was well..... interesting.
snow report
bobmcstuff wrote:
It's the same in other "extreme" sports like downhill/freeride MTB, the women's looks comparatively amateur compared to the men's.

Either it's caused by testosterone or it's just not cool for women to do it so there's far less uptake.

No that's not what I meant at all, if as a little girl growing up you never see any women in the park, you might not even think it's an option for you as a girl. The number of girls is increasing and the talent is going up, not watched any boarders for a while but I think the female freeskiers are far from amateur looking now, little girls will see this and want to go in the park so the next generation will be even better, pretty much one of the major points the girls of Pretty faces were making.

meh I take it you have all these films on constant loop for your little girl, here's a bed time story to add to the list

http://www.stack.com/2013/01/09/mountain-guide-sheldon-kerr/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Though I am far too old to be interested in getting down with the "youf", I can't help but think that culturally male freestylers have about as much appeal as Beavis and Butthead to many girls just at the point when the boys get into it (mid to late teens). Madeye-Smiley Maybe that lingers on? Kids get into going to the park early and do it because their parents can't. I recall skiing with my other half's boys first when they were 11 and 14 (7 years ago). All they wanted to do was go to the park. This was the theme for about 3-4 years. (I broke my arm early on in the park going over a stupidly big jump as a result of all this!! Now I have a great excuse not to). These days they are not as interested, though still like building their own jumps off piste or using natural jumps.

I'd rather watch extreme freeride skiing than freestyle-I think it's something to do with just dealing with what nature has created, rather than something manufactured. There is the odd exception though-such as the JP Auclair street segment from All I Can.. Very Happy
snow conditions
lynseyf, awesome and yeah I do, when she's old enough to know what's going on she'll have a massive collection of inspiration. Very Happy
snow report
Woodsy's hair likely to make him the novelty butt of jokes at Sochi from ignorant mainstream media. Still combined with a medal winning performance may get him the publicity he can turn into commercial opportunties post limpics - like This Morning having him in for a makeover wink
ski holidays
Girls aren't as strong, they are way more likely to tear their acls due to their wider hips, plus less of them do it, simple.

dulcamara, what did Ingrid do to upset you? She's always been pretty friendly to everyone when I've seen her in Chile.
snow report
jimmer wrote:
Girls aren't as strong, they are way more likely to tear their acls due to their wider hips, plus less of them do it, simple.

dulcamara, what did Ingrid do to upset you? She's always been pretty friendly to everyone when I've seen her in Chile.

Knocked him back? Stuck up brat is the polite euphemism for lesbian.

FTAOD Joke - but this thread was crying out for the inappropriate assertion of sapphic motivations given it's a thread about gurlz n sport and all that wink
snow conditions
Quote:

EXACTLY, she should be so lucky!

Side question: Is it possible to qualify through the slopestyle semi-finals to the finals or is it just a runner up type thing?
snow conditions
dulcamara wrote:
Quote:

OMG dulcamara, haven't you seen Chalet Girl??!!

nope, hoping to spend my life around the ski industry without seeing it, avalanche sharks and Frozen have to be watched first!

My 10 year old loved Frozen It's really not that scary wink
snow report
That looks epic... know what I'm watching tonight! CHEERS geetee,
latest report
fatbob wrote:
jimmer wrote:

FTAOD Joke - but this thread was crying out for the inappropriate assertion of sapphic motivations given it's a thread about gurlz n sport and all that wink

Haha, it's likely I told her I loved her whilst I was blackout drunk on my birthday, she still talked to me the next day, so I think she's all good.
snow conditions
The most fearless skier that I have ever met is Emma Lonsdale, it will be good to watch her in Sochi.
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
Stuck up brat is the polite euphemism for lesbian

You and the lesbian thing again... Laughing

It's been alluded to by others above but the simple fact is that women are hardwired to be risk averse. This ensures the survival of our young — and, thus, our species — at the most fundamental level. When women participate in high-risk activities, it takes a lot for them to override that natural aversion. Added to which, as lynseyf says, role models have been pretty thin on the ground until recently.
ski holidays
So, testosterone levels, nervousness, Child baring hips, Weak ACLs, outbreaks of lesbianism, and old brain child protection...

Nobody going to suggest that as women have a higher percentage water content than men and that the increased altitude and therefore closeness to the moon is unbalancing their delicate female humours?

What about womens acute sense of smell and ability to detect pheremones being knocked akilter by the musky whafts of bear urine coming off the Caucasuses?

Or that they are all wearing trousers and flat soled boots too where as women naturally are more at home in heels and skirts...

Welcome to the Snowheads Victorian Gentlemens guide to Hysterical Women.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy