Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A (not so) short ski question!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

The title says it all, I am in need of some ski advice Smile

I have recently (this season) came back to skiing after having a few years off, just returned from a ski holiday and I am completely hooked, want to go again as soon as possible! Was even checking Eurostar times, thinking I can sneak one day in Toofy Grin

Anyway, back to the point – I have found a couple of pairs of skis in my garage left from back when I used to ski and can’t decide which ones I should be using now. The models are:

Fischer Worldcup RC4 SC ’04 model (123-66-102) and same model but from ’05 (115-65-102mm) both in 160cm length. Both sets only had two-three seasons’ worth of skiing on them so in a pretty good nick. Question is which ones would be better for me? I tried the older model and remember liking them a lot but not the newer one (it’s my father’s but he won’t be using them anymore). I would class myself as beginner-intermediate level.

Also do you think I should have some competent tech check the bindings as the skis were in a garage for at least 4 years (serviced before storing and kept in an insulated ski bag) and if so can anyone recommend a place around London?

Many thanks!

Alex.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AlexSan, sorry short answer, start again with some new ones. Welcome to snowheads.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jbob, thanks for the welcome!

Care to elaborate, both pairs are very lightly used and having just bought boots I really would prefer not to spend any more on gear, at least this season!

Would it make such a massive dufference, especially since I am still refreshing my knowledge so to speak.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They will certainly need a service as they'll probably have dried out in the time in storage and yep I'd get the bindings checked, metal can rust, plastic fatigue even just standing in the garage!
Skis have moved on an awful lot in the 10 years since yours were new though, you will probably have more fun spending the cash the servicing would cost on renting some modern skis, especially if you are only going to get a day or two use this season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

can anyone recommend a place around London?

Ski Bartlett are excellent: http://www.skibartlett.com/ .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Fischer Worldcup RC4 was a fairly high end slalom ski in the Advanced/Expert category it was/is a great ski for on piste short radius turns.
From memory they were quite stiff so you need to work them quite hard to get the most out of them. Not sure why you would have preferred 2004 over the 2005 model as not dramatically different could just be down to the way they were serviced. I would have thought they would still be ok if you were only going to use them for one day as long as you get them serviced first for longer periods you might find something newer a bit easier and more forgiving.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alternatively stick both pairs on ebay as they would still be of interest to some for Dry Slope racing. Then use the money towards something more suitable.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with kevinrhead, if you are skiing on piste you won't necessarily get a better ski... you'll get plenty of different skis, but the RC4 was always a very sought after ski. You'll find people who have other preferences, but there's nothing wrong with a 66mm ski on a piste IMHO.

For off piste I wouldn't ski on something that narrow anymore, personally I'd go for 90mm+ (on a powder day I'd want my 108mm K2s). You can ski off piste with them though, and you'll get respect if you ski deep powder on them Happy

For doing short trips you need to consider the cost of transportation - if you are going on the train then there's no cost to take skis (I think!) so no reason not to take them. If flying for a weekend trip it might be more cost effective to rent anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Okay, that gives me a few options and ideas.

Thanks a lot to everyone for help! Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AlexSan, beginner-int you might find them harder work than some other pise skis but there's basically nothing wrong with them. "Race carver" technology hasn't changed that much if at all since they were built.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sah and under a new name,

eah I though as much. I will have one or two more weeks of skiing this season and now debating whether to take these along or rent at the resort, renting seems a better option even a higher end carver, like Head i.Supershape Rally, the problem is that I already paid for ski transfer...Sad

I somehow doubt Easyjet will agree to refund that...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a pair of the pre carver RC4s, and loved them, which was one of the reasons I was slow onto more shaply skis. I called them my RSJs and yes they were f stiff. If you skied them fine before then you might be ok, but they are defiantly not a beginner/int ski and might hold you back. If you do use them get the bindings checked. With the cost of airline carriage and servicing, combined with discounting rentals on the Internet many 1-2 week skiers rent nowadays. (Longer answer).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AlexSan, preference is personal. Get your skis waxed/edged and go to a demo day at the local fridge, have a few runs on them and compare with newer types. I like stiff, race carver types and, after testing some newer equivalents, and some fatter (80mm waist, big for me!) options, I am sticking with my old, stiff SX10 skicross skis. Just cos its new it isn't better for everyone.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks guys, I still have time to demo a few skis and see how mine behave. Problem is, the last time I was in an indoor skiing place the slope was in such a poor state (massive bumps with ice and loose snow in between) that getting any sort feel was quite difficult with these kind of skis.
Going to a different place this weekend, right after it gets groomed, hopefully it will be different. Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy