Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waxing Iron Alternative

Poster: A snowHead
Just about to order one of the tuning kits from The Piste Office. Read there and in other places that you can use a normal travel iron instead of the more expensive waxing irons to start off with, but that a flat, non steam iron would be better. Most of the cheaper travel irons seem to have a steam function though - my understanding is that is fine as long as you don't fill it up with water (and depending where you read, the holes in the base are not ideal but don't create too much of a problem). Is this correct?

Would something like this be suitable:
http://goo.gl/28Mhsi

It says it does not have an adjustable thermostat or automatic shut-off - is this an issue? And I'm assuming from the photo and some of the reviews that you can still adjust the heat (you want the lowest temperature that will melt the wax yeah?).

If not, would something like this be better:
http://goo.gl/JsQqcW
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anything hot will do the job as long as you keep it moving. Proper ski irons can be better, but the rule of diminishing returns certainly applies. If you are not racing at national level or above, then a basic travel iron (steamed or not) is far better than not waxing at all.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The problem with a 'normal' iron rather than a waxing iron is that a normal iron will be harder to get to, and maintain the correct temperature and it may also have hot-spots on the plate. Used with care you could get away with it, but I have heard of cases of delam and base damage from careless use of a non-waxing iron.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Keep looking, there are some out there without steam holes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They will work but given how much you are spending on tuning kit a bit more (£29) for a proper wax iron http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,312/category_id,22/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/ would seem a better idea to me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses guys. That was certainly what I had picked up from reading around, that using a normal / travel iron is better than nothing, but that the 'performance' would not be as good as a proper waxing iron (take a lot longer, problems with the temperature etc).

davkt, thanks for that link - was sure I had already looked on there so not quite sure how I managed to miss that!! As you said, not much more to get a proper one, so that is quite tempting.

While I remember does anybody know if you get a discount at The Piste Office either as a BASI instructor or through snowheads? Haven't seen anything so far but thought it's worth a check!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skierbiggsy, Nope I don't think there are discounts, Pisteoffice is a pretty new small business (run by snowhead Spyderjon ) and already has really good prices on everything.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 5-02-14 22:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've always used a travel iron (with steam holes) and I've not had a problem with it. But I second what feef says, that you have to be a bit careful, being aware that it has hotter moments and colder moments, and keeping it moving during the hotter ones. Or in fact, I tend to stay on the safe side and set it so that the hottest moments are the ideal temperature, and the colder moments don't melt the wax very well. Doesn't do any harm that way; just takes a bit longer! Invest in a proper scraper though; improvisation doesn't really work.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skierbiggsy, buy cheap, buy twice Laughing I did, thought I could do it with a Tesco cheap iron, it drove me to distraction and I was very quickly on the phone to Jon for a proper iron having used one at his place and then used the cheapo iron, there was no comparison.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pyremaniac, There will be a scraper in the tuning kit from Spyderjon
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the people who like the 'proper' iron's surely have bought them as is always the way those who say they are the best own the item...

I really struggle to understand how anyone couldn't manage to wax a pair of skis with any iron, you can clearly see when wax smokes but even that isn't enough to melt bases or delam the top sheet Shocked you would have to have a serious disorder to melt a ski base unless you whacked it up to full put on a gas mask and left the iron on the ski for a min.

Almost all the tuning tools have some cheaper equivalent than from a ski shop, granted you do need a good edge guide but scrapers are just nice pieces of plastic or even better a metal ruler (please no talk of base damage), if you feel the need to brush the base you get brass/nylon ones at loads of diy shops/ebay and files are usually better value from diy/hardware places.

That said Jon is the man for those essential pieces just don't be fooled into thinking that's the kind of shop you must get this stuff from
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skierbiggsy, I have used both a travel iron and a cheap larger iron but having now used a proper ski iron recently would say go for the real thing. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i've used the bottom of a frying pan a couple of times Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Each to their own, if you are happy using a cheapo iron and have never used a ski iron then fine and stick with it. For me after using a ski iron on Jon's workshop and then coming home and using a cheapo iron it was a real PITA. The thing would not get hot enough then it would get too hot, the shape of the sole plate was awkward, it didn't have the weight, it just felt all wrong and the previous pleasurable experience of waxing was gone Laughing If it works for you fine and if you've never used the proper kit you are unlikely to know what you're missing so that's fine Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've a pair of skis which have a bit of a bubbly base, I suspect caused by me waxing them with a normal iron Embarassed Luckily they were destined for dry slope use only (if I ever do ski there) as they've had several years use. Now bought a proper iron from Jon.
snow conditions
Thanks again for the further responses - all really useful stuff!

davkt, fair enough - didn't think there would be but as I said, thought it was worth checking anyway!

Leaning towards a proper iron at the moment, so thanks again for the various opinions.

When travelling with the tuning kit and iron by air, does it need to be in the hold or would it be okay in hand luggage?
ski holidays
I use an old small travel non-steam iron I bought about 20 years ago in a cheap electrical store, cost less than a tenner I think. Keeps it's temperature very well, good size too, can't see a reason to change it as it's only doing my and the family's skis.
latest report
I would go for a proper wax iron again. However, despite asking around I bought a kit because I was not sure what I really needed and would agree there is a lot of things you don't need or could getting cheaper normal alternative. Noticeable that most pro ski instructors I know don't service themselves and the various bits of kit adds up so not convinced by the cost payback vs. time benefit of self-servicing. Certainly would not recommend for the casual skier. If you have the time though and ski regularly it's good to have the convenience of having skis ready to go rather than use a shop you dont know who don't do a great job.
latest report
I've been using the same cheap Asda iron for years with no problems. Ski waxing isn't a very technical process: drip the wax on; smear it about with the iron; scrape off; repeat if necessary.

I like servicing my own skis as I know that I'll do a good job on it.
latest report
Spyderman, But 20 years ago it was probably better made than today!
ski holidays
If you are servicing upwards of 50 pairs a year then yes a ski specific wax iron is nice, the groves in the base plate move the wax around more nicely than the holes in a steam iron.
As for more accurate temp control, unless you are paying a lot for one with a digital control they both have the same bi metalic strip for a thermostat - yes a good quality one should be better than £5 at aldi but in most cases it isn't
Have a look in the back of the shop in most parts of the alps and you will see lots of household irons that have waxed 1000's of skis not one pair a few times.
Yes I do have a Japanese made wax iron - I was given it - and if it dies I will buy another, but I'm waxing 100+ pairs a year. If I wasn't I would just go back to using my £5 iron I used up until last autumn.

davkt, Very much so, but 30 years ago would have been better still.
latest report
I found an old non steam iron lying beside a bin on the street took it home and it is now our waxing iron, works great. I also have a cheapo Tesco steam iron which works fine, what problem is there with the holes?
snow report
TTT wrote:
Noticeable that most pro ski instructors I know don't service themselves and the various bits of kit adds up so not convinced by the cost payback vs. time benefit of self-servicing. Certainly would not recommend for the casual skier. If you have the time though and ski regularly it's good to have the convenience of having skis ready to go rather than use a shop you dont know who don't do a great job.

A real 'pro' ski instructor who can actually ski well as opposed to a wannabe 'pro' ski instructor who needs edges is hardly going to miss having sharp metal or waxed bases in their day job. For mortals that need edges, self-service once every 10 days or so takes about 30 minutes tops with a tool kit that costs less than a couple of day lift passes. I can't imagine why anyone who skis a lot would pay 15 euros/pounds for someone else to do that for them. Having the two files that keep base and edge angles sharp can save the day too if you realise in the car park that the snow's not as soft as you thought it was going to be.

And any old iron, even a £5 Tesco value one with steam holes in it does a waxing job just fine too. No need to put water in it though. Toofy Grin
latest report
moffatross, And when one daughter has her fast skis and fun skis (kids race skis and twintips) the other a snowboard and me snowboard, fast skis and do everything skis it really is a no brainer to have done Jon's course and bought a tool kit.
snow report
Steam irons are great! just melt the wax and put it where the water goes. Press the button and squirty wax. What could be easier..? I despair.
snow conditions
Moffatross - Im in full agreement - as a wannabee I need to get the excuses out of the way where as I find the guys who do it for a living are less retentive about their kit as they have more margin for error, which is why I will service myself this weekend. More fun next weekend on serviced skis and there is a little satisfaction from having done the job yourself. Jons course not being an option unfortunately I've found that it's taken me longer than I thought and I spent more on kit than I needed to so the payback is longer than expected. If you take Jons figures which are fair you are looking at 10 to 16 weeks skiing as payback so as I say makes sense for regular skiers but not for casual holiday skiers.
ski holidays
I have done 6 pairs today, I am glad I had a proper iron Very Happy
ski holidays
TTT, Maybe if it is just you and a pair of skis but with 2 kids and 6 or 7 pairs of skis/snowboards between us plus a demanding 10 year old whose skis really really need a top up waxing mid week so they go fast enough make payback time a couple of weeks!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been servicing my families skis for a couple of years, last year Black and Decker workmate and clothes iron ( non steam) this year proper ski vice ( Jaws of the beast) and kunzmann ski iron. Absolutely no comparison! In my view these 2 items are essential.
latest report
retsil, Cool
ski holidays
retsil, Yep, my Cook ski bench is so much easier than a workmate, have got the false boot thingie at the mo which is great for alpine skis but hopeless for telemark, nordic and snowboards so think some vices may be on the shopping list soon!
latest report
So getting beyond the 'I despair' rhetoric, the consensus about waxing irons from people who have experience doing it is that if you're a professional ski technician or you're a mum or dad prepping skis for the Brady Bunch every week, a dedicated iron is better, but any old clothes iron (with steam holes or not) will also do the job just as effectively (if perhaps a bit more slowly) if you're only waxing a couple of pairs of skis a few times per season.
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
So getting beyond the 'I despair' rhetoric, the consensus about waxing irons from people who have experience doing it is that if you're a professional ski technician or you're a mum or dad prepping skis for the Brady Bunch every week, a dedicated iron is better, but any old clothes iron (with steam holes or not) will also do the job just as effectively (if perhaps a bit more slowly) if you're only waxing a couple of pairs of skis a few times per season.

I think I'd add '..and if you're careful'

Going slowly with an iron that's maybe a bit hot, and then has a hot-spot could make things worse.

If you're careful and test the iron's settings to melt the wax before diving in then you should be okay.

However, when a proper waxing iron can be as cheap as £35, it's really not that much more expensive than a regular iron. Consider that a block of decent wax might be a tenner then the price difference with the good iron fades quite quickly
snow conditions
Quote:

Going slowly with an iron that's maybe a bit hot, and then has a hot-spot could make things worse

I find my nose is quite a good guide - tells me if it's getting a bit hot.
ski holidays
feef, Even less (£29) for the cheapest waxing iron The Piste Office stocks.
ski holidays
I am currently a high school senior taking a class where you and your team are tasked with identifying a problem, then trying to solve this problem. Our team wanted to design a mechanism that make waxing quicker and eaiser. If you could take a little of your time and complete this survey it would greatly be apperciated. Thank you

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19XvcIf6PoltfChhJbLQtypKvVd_IATe7mL1x-Dlu5YI/viewform
latest report
drewcrew29,
Difficult to complete that survey. I would have thought that options 1, 2 and 4 are non-starters, and I can't see and advantage of option 3 over a normal waxing iron.

I'm out.
ski holidays
How do you remove the wax to allow you to use different kinds of waxes?
latest report
Waxing is already quick and easy without involving complex gadgets, think you need to find a real problem to try and fix!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy