Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl/Hochgurgl - anyone in resort with snow report?

Poster: A snowHead
As the title suggests is anyone in resort and can update on conditions? Not out there for another 10 days and based on conditions so not worried but thinking about possible off piste or guided day of snow allows.

Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not in resort but am planing a ski tour up the nearby Wildspitze mountain in April so have been keeping my eye on the weather. It hasn't seen the most snow in Austria but it has seen a steady fall building up a very good base.

http://www.bergfex.at/obergurgl-hochgurgl/wetter/berg/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How's the snow at obergurgl and solden please?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Solden and Obergurgl could be on the cards in 2-3 weeks time Razz , so I'd like to echo snowyowl's query : how are the conditions out there currently?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are just looking for accommodation ~ I think Soelden is the front runner for us after discounting Saalbach following the reports on that thread. Wakey Wakey, people.... snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Miserable lot! Well we've booked anyway..off next Wednesday. The webcams look good, weather forecast is getting colder with snow. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We've booked too! Will be there from 3rd April - bring it on! Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We leave on 1st, have to get back so only skiing 5 days, we will keep the snow cold for youskidm, haven't been to Obergurgl since 1986 or 7 and looking forward to all that yummy food, germknodel, kaiserschmarren, carbs, yum Very Happyb
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Obergurgl is currently at the top of my list for an April 5th trip. Interested to hear about the conditions. Look like a decent dump of snow is on the way, but I'm always doubtful until it actually happens.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like there will be a lovely top up this weekend (let's see if it actually happens!). Have a good one snowyowl.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Out there on the 29th so things are looking good.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow that's cold for late March! Packing list revised..maybe I will take the thermals after all...! But cold, snow and sunny Very Happy snowHead Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Off out there on the 29th. Pleased to see there is possibly some new snow coming, although that does look nippy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu, Kelskii, skidm, mr snowy has found a different weather forecast which is about 5c above these figures. Snowfall still the same. Usually it does have to warm up for the snow to fall...I'm not taking any chances though, I hate being cold! We are driving so keeping the winter tyres on and taking the chains with the expectation that we may well need to use them! Snow boots for resort...I had thought that this time of year would not need them but am revising...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was there last week. Still plenty of snow although a bit patchy at the bottom in Hochgurgl and Solden. Pretty hard packed though and it was hot, hot, hot all week so some slush by late morning lower down. They need some more snow.
ski holidays
bagginsmum, Thank you...I think we are aiming for first lift and very late lunch! Will take plenty of suncream Cool Cool
snow report
May I recommend David's Hutte for a very nice Aperol and a bit of sunshine! Still plenty to ski on. We went up to the glacier at Solden which was pretty good too
snow report
Am I right in thinking that the 60-70cm of new snow forecast by Bergfex would (if it were indeed to happen) put the slopes into a very nice condition for this time of year?
latest report
J2R, It'll do for me....! Only trouble with a big dump of snow on icy base and sunshine is that it's a formula for avalanches.
ski holidays
bagginsmum, noted! We are planning to go to Solden at least once, maybe more so are considering lift pass combinations. Is there a car park at Solden do you know? I know there is a bus but car might be more convenient if parking is easy.
latest report
In Solden there are free car parks at both main lifts. It's possible to ski Solden and Obergurgl on the same pass, if you ski 5+ days at one resort you can ski 1 day at the other.
ski holidays
skidm, thanks. Am wondering whether we might want to ski more than one day at Solden, we are used to high mileage. It doesn't look like you can upgrade the pass more than once!
snow report
I've been in Solden all week. I've enjoyed it a lot, great piste skiing! Snow is not too bad, especially considering it's supposed to snow a lot tomorrow and a bit more on monday and tuesday, with temperatures significantly decreasing. The glaciers are cool, with nice snow and all, but the slopes are not too exciting as far as I'm concerned. I preferred the Gaislachkogl area (in the morning, before the snow got too slushy), all the way down with piste n.10. Chairlifts are painstakingly slow in this area, but the slopes are great, especially n.2 and n.10. Not to mention that Gaislachkoglbahn is much less crowded in the morning. Everyone goes to Giggijoch instead, which tends to get overcrowded, but they don't know what they're missing Smile

Obergurgl-Hochgurgl had a bit better snow the day I went (thursday), since the slopes have North exposure. It was even a bit too icy in the morning. I liked the pistes better in Obergurgl than Hochgurgl. On the whole, Solden it a lot nicer in my opinion.. Still if you're in Solden, it's definitely worth spending the extra 10€ to spend one day in Ober/Hoch (remember to say it when you buy the skipass!).

Best meals I've had in Solden: (1) Gampe Thaya (great kaesespaetle!), (2) Huhnersteig, (3) Obstlerhutte. The other restaurants were really bad!!!

Have fun Smile))
latest report
BTW if you're looking for accomodation in Solden, I can recommend Apartment Kraxner where I've stayed this week. They're not too Internet-savvy, I don't think they have a website (though you can find them in the accomodation list of the Solden official website by typing "Kraxner" in the search field). I'm not even sure they use email, I had to call them on the phone to reserve, but I found the place really cheap (25€ per day including breakfast!), convenient and comfortable. Ok, it's pretty basic (at least the room where I stayed, haven't seen the bigger apartments which are still 25€ per person per day), but for me, it was perfect. It's 50m away from the Kaisers skibus stop, which is the most convenient neighborhood in my opinion. The family is really nice, genuine, friendly, and helpful - my best experience in Tirol so far in that respect. I'll definitely come back to Solden, and I'll definitely stay here again.

Josef Kraxner
Kaiserstraße 19, 6450 Sölden
T: 0043 5254 200 812
F: 0043 5254 200 813
snow conditions
snowyowl, no, you can't upgrade the skipass more than once. But you could buy an extended skipass for one day less and use that last day to go back to Solden, buying the skipass directly in Solden for that last day. It's not that much more expensive (btw the skipass is way too expensive over here! might be the only flaw of this resort!)
ski holidays
btw i've asked the landlady at Haus Kraxner and they do have a website and an email address:

www.kraxner.com/appartement
appartement@soelden.at
snow report
nobrainbcn, Noted!
snow report
We are here enjoying lovely weather and excellent conditions. It's warm, today we started at 9.15 and I was slightly cool in a base layer , a mid layer and a light shell. By lunchtime I was plenty warm enough. OH wearing a base layer plus jacket, he's a warm mortal.
The snow is a bit hard packed lower down, but the pistes are well groomed and not melted. Hardly any porridge!
The roads are clear and you don't need snow boots around resort.
We have a really beautiful apartment, very pleased. The downside was only the 16 hour drive to get here...Next time will fly or break the journey.
Happy skiing!
snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for that, snowyowl. It's looking a little better for next weekend now, with the possibility of some new snow. While that would be a delight, what I'm most concerned about is just to avoid rain. We'll see. Keep the reports coming!
snow report
Forecast is sun. There is plenty of snow, it won't all go before next week for sure and during the week it was deserted .today is Saturday and its busy with weekenders. Found a queue with all of 15 people in it....and so well behaved. we are used to France.....
Come in early today with a locked calf muscle:-( don't think its anything serious,, but don't want push my luck. We have a lovely balcony and I have tea and a good book.....when Mr snowy comes in will start on the alcohol, that will cure it!
snow conditions
Just arrived in Obergurgl and it's looking pretty fab from down in the resort. Can't wait to ski tomorrow.
snow report
foxtrotzulu, where you staying?
We have skied in France so long we have taken a few days to get into the groove of Austrian Apres ski. Today we cured that by turning up at the Nederhutte for Aperol, and then felt driven to try the Gluhcola. Erm. Hot Coke and a shot of rum (OH had JD). Confused rolling eyes Skied down really well.....
Then down to town for coffee and Apple Strudel....because it's Sunday and shop closed.
The steam room calls when we have sobered up. Toofy Grin
latest report
It would be great to hear from skiers currently out there about the slope conditions for Obergurgl and Solden. Will be there in the next few days. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
VoodooBob, good, particularly at Hochgurgl. Slightly hard packed lower down, in places, and soft by beer time on the home run to Obergurgl. Lovely sunny weather, bring sun cream. Bit of a wind today so we had lunch with our jackets on. But out of the wind and high up it is hot. All runs open and I have only seen one bare patch, and a small handful of stones, but the cover is getting thin in some odd places. Off piste heavy, and tracked.
Going to Solden tomorrow. Watch this space. Little Angel
snow conditions
Nice one snowyowl. Looking forward to your Solden update Very Happy .
latest report
VoodooBob, Hot, hot hot!. 24c at the car park when we came down today. Factor 30 not strong enough.
High up , good to very good, lots of red/blue wide runs, couple of mogulfields at the side of the blacks, but sunny side is melting fast so do those first. Up on the glaciers (lots of lift riding, the investment here has been huge) the snow is good. Lower down some icy/hard packed. We turned up at the lift which would take us back to the Geislachkogel which was scheduled to close at 16.45, at 15.30, found it shut Sad so had to ski the long run 7 right down the bottom .heavy, porridge, slush, mud, couple of roads to cross, dead snowboarders, you know how it goes, really very hard work and has reawaken my old knee injury Sad just as well its our last day!
Solden has a few more places to go than Obergurgl, but if you are looking for difficult terrain on piste you won't find it here, except those moguls. But for intermediates it would be a great place to learn and consolidate.
Have fun! snowHead
snow report
Wow snowyowl, that is hot! Thanks for all that info, much appreciated. Hope the knee recovers soon.
snow conditions
VoodooBob, Thanks. It's been dodgy for years.
Hope you have a good trip. Avoid the Gluhcola!
ski holidays
snowyowl, was that a shade temperature? Shocked At what altitude?
snow conditions
The car was in an open car park in a deep valley a about 1400m, must have had full sun some of the day, but in shade when we got there. I had on a base layer and a jacket and I «merely glowed» enough to have to change my top in the car park rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy