Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski school, private lessons or none at all??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
andyrew wrote:
jedster wrote:
Provided you are not a danger to other people I think this is totally down to personal preference and to how you learn.
I happen to be someone who learns well by watching and copying and because I love skiing so much, I've been able to apply myself to consciously improving my skiing - it's rare that I'm not working on something and just skiing. I was also fortunate to ski a lot with technically competent skiers in my first few weeks,
So some people can improve a lot without lessons (even if lessons would accelerate progress).
I do actually believe in ski instruction but also, given the cost difference, how dubious I am about ski school!

Excellent points. People learn in different ways, as an instructor (in a different field) I have to be careful to suss out which modes the students brain works in to teach effectively. Given sufficient analytical ability its perfectly fine to teach yourself but as you point out not everyone can do that for themselves.

All this is right but it's a bif IF on being the right sort of learner. Some of the best lessons I've had haven't been lessons at all just rare opportunities to ski with very very good skiers. Usually their advice focuses on psychology rather than technical minutiae (in my case MTFU).

My telemark sucks but I still hate being given even free lessons and tips until I've got to the point where I'm doing things as right as I can do (because of where I am on the curve I can feel very clearly when something isn't right but until I'm locked in and consistent it's no good barraging me with other stuff)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyrew wrote:

And so the only way to learn anything is to have a teacher? It's not possible to learn through other ways? From videos? From books? (heaven forbid, what's a book?). Not possible to analyze your own skiing?

I think you would need to have a higher than average level of self awareness, most people are disappointed when they see them selves on video, most people underestimate the movements needed for skiing hence all the drills you get in lessons to force your body to make the right movements. If you say regular video of yourself it would be much easier but I think without any sort of external feedback it is hard to pick up on your own faults, not saying it can't be done but not easy. Whether you care about those faults is a whole other story of course.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm now 4 trips in after coming back from 3 days skiing in Morzine.

I had a 'learn the basics in 3 hours' course at xscape before my first trip which helped me to maximise time on the slopes rather than in the very short nursery slopes. That trip I had 2 full days of private lessons plus a couple of hours in ski school.

Next trip I had 3 full days of private lessons and the same the following trip.

This time I didn't get chance to book the lesson I wanted. I really really missed it. I need it for confidence boosting (and of course to improve my technique etc) I get a lot from someone who has seen me ski take me down challenging slopes. It makes me think, yeah I can do it. Not having that had a big affect on me this trip. I was more cautious than ever. Still didn't have too much trouble getting around and about though. My next trip I am definitely going to have some more tuition.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Coming up on 30 weeks and I often do SOME sort of lessons, I enjoy meeting new folks and being pushed along a bit. This year I took two private lessons + a hemel 6 hour tune up before we went. Last season I didn't take any lessons at all, 4 seasons ago I did a full week of lesson and intend to do the same again next season. It's not for everyone though and it depends where we are - really large resorts don't suit lessons as it cuts up the day too much ime. aj xx
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haven't had lessons for a while. Mostly due to budget constraints but my skiing has continued to improve. Initially my issue was one of confidence, then ankle flexion was the major constraint. No point having lessons to tell me to get my weight forwards when I physically can't. Maybe next time I will be ready for lessons again. It helps my OH is patient and sensible so I am improving just by skiing with him.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
miranda, really interesting to hear your experience.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy