Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen or Zell-am-Ziller

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For a complete beginner? Which is better to have lessons at?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mayrhofen gets more english speaking visitors
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zell-am-Ziller is much more quiet and wouldn't be as busy as Mayrhofen, but as hobbiteater, says it has more English speaking visitors and they'd deffo be in a more or less full English speaking class.....it's much of a muchness to be honest.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zell am Ziller has a good complete beginner area but once the beginners are starting to ski around a bit there isn't a lot of suitable terrain for typical two or three day beginners.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would prefer Zell for a complete beginner, once you progress a little the runs a fairly wide and inviting.

Mayrhofen beginners do a blue that winds around the mountain (baby blue), which is narrow (a snowy road) with a steep drop on one side, which gets icy and can be daunting. A lot of the reds can be a bit tricky and very busy. The Ahorn is perfect for learning on, but after a couple of days you will have exhausted it and also it is away from the buzz of the Penken, where everyone else is.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
you have to down load everyday at Mayrhofen !!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yorkshirelad, as you do at zell am ziller
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yorkshirelad, Suitable for beginners then.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think there's much for beginners at Zell. All the slopes are marked as reds and although some are very easy, it's not useful for beginners looking for safe routes. The only blue goes from the top of the gondola to the mid station and is a very narrow track which crosses over the resorts only black run a couple of times. Also, I don't think there's high chances of getting in an English speaking ski school group.

In Mayrhofen the Ahorn is perfect for beginners. Really wide, undulating, never too busy. On Penken you've got Babytours which K8T mentioned, but there is no way it could seriously be described as daunting! Blue 7 is good, and if you go up the 150 cable car there's a load of easy stuff which goes on for miles and miles, but probably best left for the end of the week. Downside with Mayrhofen is that the Penken can be really, really busy at peak times. And off peak times too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the replies so far. This is going to be a short taster with lessons on Saturday and Sunday and they will hopefully be private in the hope that my girlfriend enjoys it and wants to do it again.

So, given that there's some fairly contradictory opinions I'll probably sign up with a Zell instructor and leave it in their hands if they want to go over to the other side.

Thanks
Andy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andybomb1, Zell im Ziller is the gateway to an excellent area for intermediates, but I really wouldn't recommend it for beginners both from the point of view of the lack of blue runs, but more seriously because the town is pretty much dead at night. If you want her to have a good time, then Mayrhofen has more going for it, plus more ski schools and more instructors who speak English. Zell tends to not get very many UK visitors at all, and when we were there it was conspicuously full of Germans who had driven there and saved themselves the queues and the extra few miles to Mayrhofen.

The Ahorn is ideal. Penken less so, but the blue 8 at Tappenalm is good for beginners. However, she'll be bored by the end of the first day if she stays on there.

If you are set on the Zillertal Arena, then look at Gerlos rather than Zell. At least then you'll find some blue runs.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
huw_jenks wrote:

In Mayrhofen the Ahorn is perfect for beginners. Really wide, undulating, never too busy. On Penken you've got Babytours which K8T mentioned, but there is no way it could seriously be described as daunting! Blue 7 is good, and if you go up the 150 cable car there's a load of easy stuff which goes on for miles and miles, but probably best left for the end of the week. Downside with Mayrhofen is that the Penken can be really, really busy at peak times. And off peak times too.

I agree, the Ahorn is brilliant, I did forget about the Tappenhalm, but you have to get over to it, it is a trek to the 150 and involves crossing some reds and going down the bottom of them (not too bad).

That blue scared me to death my first few days on skis - going down a snowy path approximately no more than 12ft wide in some places, a steep drop into nothing on one side, icy black patches intermittently,combined with people whizzing past me in a narrow space.....my legs killing me, as I could only snowplough to slow myself down.

I follow my daughter down it nowadays and smile, but I can still remember that fear!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all

Latest update, accommodation now confirmed for Gmund so it looks like we'll get her started from Gerlos and then go with what her instructor says. We'll have a car so no problem moving to Ahorn or Penken if required.

Many thanks for all you help and suggestions.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy