Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thomas Cook can't take my skis....

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked Manchester to Innsbuck for 1st March with Thomas Cook and rang them to book ski carriage (as I couldnt find it on the website) and was told no space left for my planks. The unhelpful suggestion was that I could just turn up with them (at 04:20) and they might take them at the discretion of the ground staff. Not entirely satisfactory as if they won't take them I don't fancy tucking them behind a radiator and hoping they are still there when I get back.... As am going to St Anton where ski hire prices make your eyes water am looking at alternatives. A search on here looks like one of the overland carriage firms has split into two and may or may not still be trading and I've got an enquiry in with "Ski carriage" and await their reply. Anybody tried just sending through regular overland parcel delivery firms?

Hrrumph
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Parcel2go £26
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks ratherbewindsurfin - has anybody used this? Sound pretty good ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just had similar. We moaned that once booked it was a bit late to tell us we couldnt take our own ski's. Gave us for free basic ski's and boots hire which we had to pay an extra £27 to upgrade to a decent option.
We felt happy with that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Howard, did you get your new skis then? They any good? You not going with Total this time? Can they not help?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Try - http://www.fetchmyluggage.co.uk/get-a-quote/ski-equipment-shipping/. Sending my two pairs of skis from the Scottish Highlands for £112 return in April to Courchevel. Give them a try.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah, just had similar experience going to Austria with Inghams - no space left for skis. Guess ski hire would be about £100 so the £128 fetchmyluggage are quoting seems OK to have my own skis. However I see they only deliver/collect in resort on weekdays, which means I'd be relying on the hotel to receive the skis before I arrived and hold them until collected. Suppose a tip to reception staff could help here!

Also reading T&C I don't see anything about compensation for late delivery, and the cover for loss is maximum £50.

Anybody actually used these people?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My company has an account with DPD, and having built a good relationship with a hotel in St Anton on previous visits I arranged to send my skis, boots and a few other bits there. We can send up to 30kg for around £19.00. Worked a treat, saved me around £50 on Easyjet if I remember correctly and saved lugging my skis on the train from Zurich. I think I travelled with hand baggage only. I left them at the hotel and arranged the collection again on the first day back at work.

Shouldn't be hard to organise. I do get a good rate though as we spend a lot of money with them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dirty Gibson, Would be lovely if you could organise something in the Mates Rates thread? snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah, didn't think of that. We get 30kg to Austria for £12.46! Will try and contact Hotel directly to confirm its OK with them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've used regular parcel post for mine several times, works fine
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks again all - the public rate for DPD looks a lot more (2x?) than parcel2go so will probably go there. Are they one of the carriers you've used Pending? Good to have an alternative to the airline charges.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi I have another alternative for you to price-check:
http://www.luggagemule.co.uk/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a little update - Hotel in Austria was very happy to deal with Fedex delivery/collection. Delivery was super cheap, but had shock when arranging return, best I could get was £75. Bit of an eye opener as we normally find return shipments only £10 more (if anything) than standard. Still only costs around the same as a week's rental, but not as cheap as I'd hoped.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's useful to know kerb - I just checked with Parcel2go and its cheap out but no collection service in Austria, so can't use them to get them back. Did you use Fedex for return leg?
Luggagemule £130 there and back, fetch my luggage £128.
snow conditions
Yes, Fedex for the return. We normally get a big discount on Fedex standard rates, but looking at this one we get no discount - hence the £76 vs perhaps £20. But this does suggest you may not need to be a regular Fedex customer to obtain that same rate.
latest report
kewhoward wrote:
That's useful to know kerb - I just checked with Parcel2go and its cheap out but no collection service in Austria, so can't use them to get them back. Did you use Fedex for return leg?
Luggagemule £130 there and back, fetch my luggage £128.

Would it not cheaper to hire skis?
ski holidays
DPD are great, I have used them in the past to both send skis out and buy skis in. You can track parcel on line and they send you a text an hour before delivery with a time and link to track them on google maps as hey get closer!!
snow conditions
Anyone tried this from the states/canada? I will be heading out there next year on my honeymoon, and then on for a week in the sun, would rather not bring my skis to the beach!
snow report
NE1 wrote:

Would it not cheaper to hire skis?

If your requirement isn't a standard piste ski, getting anything, let alone what you want and let alone with touring bindings is impossible in many resorts. For example in the Dolomites (Arabba) where the idea of semi-fat or fat skis seemed new to them.
latest report
kewhoward wrote:
Just booked Manchester to Innsbuck for 1st March with Thomas Cook and rang them to book ski carriage (as I couldnt find it on the website) and was told no space left for my planks. The unhelpful suggestion was that I could just turn up with them (at 04:20) and they might take them at the discretion of the ground staff. Not entirely satisfactory as if they won't take them I don't fancy tucking them behind a radiator and hoping they are still there when I get back.... As am going to St Anton where ski hire prices make your eyes water am looking at alternatives. A search on here looks like one of the overland carriage firms has split into two and may or may not still be trading and I've got an enquiry in with "Ski carriage" and await their reply. Anybody tried just sending through regular overland parcel delivery firms?

Hrrumph

Are TC checking skibags at all for ore than one pair of skis this season ?

I am travelling Man - Inn a week on Saturday and have never done a TC flight before. How did the halftermers with ski gear get on? Any over zealous check- in staff?
snow conditions
Have flown TC a couple of times, they along with the other airlines I have flown with have never checked ski bags. First time for everything though!
snow report
So - what I did in the end was send them out with
ratherbewindsurfing wrote:
Parcel2go £26
- no problem - took 4 days to arrive but were ready and wating when I arrived. The hotel (Goldenes Kreuz in St Anton) were very helpful. Getting back was much more expensive - £74 with Worldwide Parcel Services - who outsourced it to DHL taking 3 days. So - overall same price as hiring a set of very budget skis (in St Anton) and a small amount of hassle (but less than the ski shop shuffle on a Sunday morning...).

Meanwhile, the flight out was delayed by 1 hour as they tried to repack the hold to fit in all the skis and boots that has been pre-booked - and ended up leaving a substantial number behind to be flown in later the same day. Since I was up the hill by 12 noon with my own skis on a beautiful afternoon I was quite glad Thomas Cook hadn't managed to book ski carriage for me and losing me half a day's skitime.
snow conditions
Could they not have come back later with your family member?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy