Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton or Andermatt at half term?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'll ski a week with horizon jr at half term. His level is advanced on piste, beginner off.

I have a reservation for St Anton but some friends are going to Andermatt and I'm having second thoughts.

St Anton advantages:
1. I know it reasonably well, can guide jr around, even for some low-risk offpiste.
2. Love the skiing there and some of the bars for apres
3. Know some guides and can join last-minute the Piste to Powder and Powder Club troops if needed
4. Accommodation reserved (not paid yet but I feel bad about cancelling it)

Andermatt advantages
1. Bigger group around my age, apparently offpiste skiers / riders. Friends of friends rather than people I know
2. Much better snow right now
3. New place to discover.
4. A very good friend will be there (but only for half the week)

Usually I would have no doubt about choosing St A, especially for a week, but the poorer snow than usual and the lack of friends to ski with is making me wonder. WWSHD?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
horizon,
How much skiing are you and Horizon junior going to be doing together and what does he like? For what it is worth my one trip to Andermatt I thought it was a great place but had fairly limited piste skiing and if your boy is going to be primarily hitting the pistes and itineraries he would much prefer St Anton if he want to do a lot of off piste and the snow is better in Andermatt it may swing it the other way as snow quality counts for a lot when learning off piste.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
horizon, Only been to Andermatt once and really loved it, but it's primarily an off piste resort IMHO. If you're prepared to go with a local guide then you'd have a great time there as there's lots of variety, but it's better for upper intermediates off piste rather than beginners.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
horizon, what T Bar said. How old is he? The Swiss ski school does a teenager camp. You could park him in that for a bit.

As an aside, Swirly and I will be there from 15th onwards if you choose Amatt over St A.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
horizon,

a. how much of a real difference snow wise? And what might change in 10 days?

b. Just how good are the folks (not your mate) in Andermatt going to be? Many's the time I've been told, "ah, so and so is a very good skier" and it turns out that they weren't, really, not at all.

c. how confident, in the (presumed) absence of anyone who knows the area, that you'll find good stuff in an area you don't know well?

Not a particularly easy decision. If Jr wasn't around, I'd probably go Andermatt (I think it looks quite promising anyway from the train window) - but I don't know St Anton.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Andermatt not great for piste skiing IMV (neither is St Anton IMV either but at least you've got the wider pass area). Snow isn't as bad as depths might suggest in StA based on recent experience.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haven't been to Andermatt, but from what I heard it is a Swiss St Foy. I think you should jump at it. You will probably have many more opportunities in St Anton, whereas perhaps this is one off opportunity to do Andermatt. (provided you are happy jr will be ok)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
peanuthead, "what I heard it is a Swiss St Foy" - nice analogy. Yep, I hear the same things about it that I hear about St Foy (good off piste things)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks guys. hmm, this was all tipping nicely towards a St Anton choice, and then gorilla had to say that he and Swirly would be in Andermatt. Would be really good to ski with you again, guys.

under a new name, snow-forecast says 110 cm/ 40cm in St Anton vs 400 cm / 110cm in Andermatt. But it will snow in both places.

The unknown is the group of friends of friends. My guess is that they're not hugely better than horizon jr, but I could be very wrong (and then if they're not that good, I'm not sure how far I'd trust their terrain selection skills). I'd certainly head to Andermatt without jr, but he's not ready to spend most of the week off-piste.

fatbob, thx for the reassurance on snow cover in St A.

Budding plan: St Anton Sat 15 - Fri 21 and Andermatt Sat 22 and Sun 23...gorilla, would you guys still be there?

(peanuthead, Andermatt is one of the two biggish resorts closest to Brussels, 7 hrs drive. If my mate Irbis says it's good, he'll have a moral obligation to show me around soon).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
horizon, nothing wrong with the snow on St Anton, was there 2 weeks ago and the op was excellent.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
horizon, our last ski day is 21st, unfortunately. Would be good to ski with you too but going on recent form I will likely have crocked myself by Wednesday. Drop me a line if things change.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
horizon, what's your decision?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Iv'e heard Andermatt gets mobbed, anyone know how bad the queues really get on a weekend?

Been looking at Disentis up the valley.

Anyone?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy