Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Super Ski - DIY alone on a budget

Poster: A snowHead
I've got plenty of time off work at the end of February and the first two weeks in March.

I've been skiing in the Arlberg and Scotland last month but want to go again before the end of the season. My usual ski-amigos are claiming poverty or cannot get the time off so I am considering going it alone.

There seems to have been quite a lot of snow in Italy and I've wanted to ski the Dolomiti SuperSki for a few years now.

Can anyone recommend any cheap accomodation in the DSS area? I'm based in Glasgow and would probably travel down to Manchester and fly to Innsbruck.

Any advice is much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends what you mean by cheap - Colletts have some single rooms for no supplement in their chalets - http://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/
I'd say they are very good value, rather than cheap - plus they do ski hosting which might be an attraction for you.

They could well be booked up for your dates though - you'll need to phone/email/or chat via website to find out.
You'll also need to arrange your own flights to Venice or Innsbruck. Colletts include a transfer from Venice but charge £45 return for Innsbruck.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks but I think they are fully booked.

I was wondering if there are any pensions or cheap guest houses anyone could recommend.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another useful website ta agw, how do you decide?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sean1967 I've not used the business since it changed hands, but try Simply Dolomiti ( sorry, can't post link, you'll have to google) They're based in Arabba & have a number of b&b's, local hotels &apartments on their books as well as organising transfers out of Venice. A number of s/h's used the company under the previous owner.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Garni Laura in Arabba was highly recommended by friends who stayed there last year (we stayed up the hill in Hotel Alpenrose). It is almost next to the chair lift, but in the centre of town. I looked round and it looked really good.

Your best bet for travelling on a budget is to fly to Venice (Marco Polo or Treviso) and use the resort transfer bus - http://dolomitistars.dolomiti.org/index.cfm/transfer-eng/. It's very cheap at Euro 35 return.

Wherever you stay you will have a great time - the area is just fabulous.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
-and the food! Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2-4 person chalet avail in Arabba early March http://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/chalet-el-table-ground-arabba/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, Mountainsun have a great catered chalet in San Cassiano, not fancy but great food and it's ski in/out. We've stayed there several times and always love it, from memory may have a couple of single rooms. They also have a chalet in St Martin in Badia but in my opinion the San Cass option is in a much better location. They do transfers from Venice but not sure about Innsbruck. The staff have always been a good bunch and maybe option to hook up with groups to ski with if you fancy some company.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the info so far.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.altabadia.org/en/homepage_alta_badia_tourism
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
blue wrote:
Hi, Mountainsun have a great catered chalet in San Cassiano, not fancy but great food and it's ski in/out. We've stayed there several times and always love it, from memory may have a couple of single rooms. They also have a chalet in St Martin in Badia but in my opinion the San Cass option is in a much better location. They do transfers from Venice but not sure about Innsbruck. The staff have always been a good bunch and maybe option to hook up with groups to ski with if you fancy some company.

they do transfers from innsbruck too - but unfortunately for this season the single rooms are no longer allowed to be rented out due to some changes to the Italian licensing restrictions. Might be worth a shout as they have a relationship with a B&B type place down the road a little.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Canazei?

Planber BB
Planber Apt
El Sangon
Stella Alpina BB
Stella Alpina Apt

£25-45 /n
some are 20m from the Belvidere lift - access to Sella Ronda
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the advice and info.

I do like a drink, even alone Smile

Am I correct in saying that Selva will have the best apres? I don't mind paying a couple of quid extra.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Right,

how does this sound for a plan?

I drive down to Liverpool from Glasgow on the 26th. Park the car and fly to innsbruck and get public transport to Selva/Ortisei/ Santa Cristina and shack up in a cheap BnB.

What should I budget for lunch, a decent dinner and a few beers each night?

I know the area is massive so there should be enough to keep me entertained for 10 days.

How easy is it to get to other areas on the DSS pass that are not connected to the Sella Ronda? Are the buses decent?

Thanks in advance
snow report
sean1967 wrote:
Thanks for all the advice and info.

I do like a drink, even alone Smile

Am I correct in saying that Selva will have the best apres? I don't mind paying a couple of quid extra.

Selva is the liveliest, they even have girls dancing on the bar in the snow not wearing proper attire, if that's your thing! wink

http://youtube.com/v/GvP8pfZEVtQ

You will pay more for somewhere near the lifts in Selva, but that's the place to be, a few places to while the evening away.

Lunch can be done for €10, Meal out €20-30, Beers €5-ish.
ski holidays
Cheers for all the info.

I've booked my flights from Liverpool to Innsbruck for a 10 day trip.

I'm looking at staying in B&B's in Santa Christina.

Whats the best way of getting my lift pass?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy