Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nendaz Self Catering

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Nendaz at half term, staying in a self catering chalet.
I've heard frightening stories of Swiss prices but can anybody tell me if supermarkets fall into this category - or should I stock up the car at my local supermarket before I leave the UK - any advice appreciated
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dhorst,
Swiss prices are not cheap, the supermarkets in Nendaz are not excessive by Swiss standards as they or at lest Migros is the same price as the valley.
I have been there the past few Aprils self catering always flown so have not stocked up. The biggest differential in prices from memory is in meat which is definately pricey. Fruit up in the mountains is rarely of the best quality and maybe worth taking if it will travel.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Be careful as there is a limit on the amount of some foods you can import. See a recent discussion here: http://www.englishforum.ch/food-drink/199378-expensive-imported-meat-beware.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We stayed in Veysonnaz a few years ago and the local shops were expensive and lacked any decent plonk, there is a large industrial estate that has a supermarket on it at the base of the valley, make a trip there but be carefull of the times. We turned up late afternoon and it was shut.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Coop in Nendaz is roughly the same price as the one in Sion. Or it was the last time I was there. Preferred that to the Migros.

As already mentioned, meat is expensive. I dealt with this by simply eating less of it. Ground steak and cheaper cuts of pork/lardons are markedly cheaper than chicken parts/steak - unless you fancy buying a whole chicken and cooking that. No reason not to, I guess. As ever, if you are prepared to cook from scratch things aren't so bad. I ate a lot of tartiflette, chilli, home made burgers, pork/leek casserole and curries (brought curry paste from UK).

Wine selection not too bad but not as cheap as France. The 1l bottle of Vin Blanc/Vin Rouge in the Coop is perfectly acceptable for pouring into food. Avoid actually drinking it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
homers double, I think you mean the Bassin Centre in Conthey, which has Coop, Migros, Aldi etc, they will shut at 5 pm on Saturdays but are open later during the week. In all fairness Veysonnaz is much smaller than Nendaz, the supermarkets have improved slightly but when you see some of the c**p that our European neighbours buy, they're hardly going to raise the standards. I didn't think you could still get Findus Crispy Pancakes. Shocked Stick to local beer and wine, Coop always have a special offer on certain brands. I know meat is expensive, but the Mariethoz butchers in Nendaz....lovely.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are driving from GVA then there are two easy places in the valley to shop, and prices will be cheaper than up the mountain and you'll also have more choice.

Allaman – Co-op

Between Geneva and Lausanne on the A1-E25-E62 at junction 14 (Allaman/Aubonne) just on the right is a big Co-op superstore that is part of a retail complex. Parking is underground and access is easy. You'll need a CHF 2 coin for the trolley.

Martigny – Migros Quartz Center

Just off junction 21 (Martigny-Fully) on the A9-E27-E62 (Avenue de Fully 63, CH1920 Martigny) in the ‘Migros Quartz Center’ retail complex. Next to the supermarket (which doesn’t sell alcohol) inside the building, there is a Denner outlet which usually has some bargains on beer and wine. There is a BP garage opposite if you need to top-up with petrol/diesel before ascending the mountain.

Generally, Switzerland needn't be any more expensive than the UK, provided you shop carefully. You do tend to pay more for meat but that's because the quality is much better. Ditto boulangerie prices. Any resort in the Alps is going to be more expensive than in the corresponding valley retail complex. Now the CHF is pegged against the € you see far more French in Swiss resorts than you used to - my take is that the narrow CHF price premium on piste is offset by the more time you spend skiing and less time spent in queues.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
msej449,
Quote:

Any resort in the Alps is going to be more expensive than in the corresponding valley retail complex

Don't think that is true for everything I have been to Nendaz several times and first time I went I stopped off in Migros in Sion then got up to Nendaz and discovered the prices were identical, though the range of items for sale was lower.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I meant more that you'll find Lidl and Aldi in, say Martigny and not up the mountain. I appreciate it's not a like-for-like comparison. Personally, we shop in the valley more for choice reasons rather than price. My brother-in-law insists on shopping in the Martigny Lidl (or is it Aldi?) but I can't be bothered going further into town just to save another 2%.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think it's another 2%, I think it's more like 40% savings at the Aldi/Lidl. In Cothney, you have the Aldi and Lidl more or less on the same street. In Sion, there is only an Aldi. I paid 6,50 CHF for a small bag of crisps at the supermarket in La Tzoumaz at Christmas... a larger bag in the Aldi/Lidl was 1,50 CHF... Shocked

The Aldi/Lidl are open in the evenings on Friday's, but also they open at 8 in the morning. I got up, left the house a bit before 7.30, ran through the store, paid and back in the car at 8.30, got home unloaded the food, and skiing by 9.30. I did a big shop, for 8 people, and in my mind I saved at least 100 CHF. I had to do this once every 4-5 days and we were there 2 weeks.

I worked out, by planning meals, and shopping the valley, it cost around 8 CHF per day per person, based on planning my meals, and mostly shopping the Lidl/Aldi.

Just another opinion - to be put in context.

Year before in Nendaz, thought the prices in the Co-op were shocking, but then again, coming from Holland, I think the prices in the UK are shocking as well, all be it, somewhat less shocking.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dhorst, some years since i went self catering in Nendaz (excellent chalets),
We always went out with a whole load of stuff from Sainsburys plus a week's worth of evening meals cooked at home and frozen (they slowly defrosted in the garage).
It saved us time in the supermarkets and saved time cooking in the evening.
The only thing we bought was wine, cheese and beer on the way in French supermarkets, and bread, milk and cakes locally (could never resist the gorgeous cakes and tarts).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Next to the supermarket (which doesn’t sell alcohol) inside the building, there is a Denner outlet
A bit weird as Denner is owned by Migros.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

A bit weird as Denner is owned by Migros.

30% of the Denner store was alcohol and beverages. I can see the logic: it releases shelf space in the main Migros and means they can offer a wider range of drinks. There was a good discount on Valais wines and beers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We take EVERYTHING with us - even down to milk
As said, supermarkets in Nendaz are same as in the Valley, but that still means £5 for one chicken breast, and everything else 1.5 - 2X UK price
Weve never had a problem with customs, and have been inspected at the border at least once.
Only things we buy locally are fresh bread - Usually a supermarket loss leader (esp CooP who cook it fresh) and - most importantly BOOZE!!
3 L wine box 9CHF in Coop and perfectly drinkable, as is their "leader Prix" beer normale @ 9 or so CHF for 24 CHEERS Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy