Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble airport

Poster: A snowHead
Flew out of Grenoble on Saturday morning - what a shambles Mad

Have flown from there a few times before but on afternoon flights and to be honest the experience hasn't been too bad. On Saturday however I was on a flight at 10:15hrs and it was not a good experience.

I think the departures board had six flights due to go within an hour and this number of people is clearly more than the airport can deal with. Long queues for many of the check in desks and difficult to distinguish which queue for which desk, but the real problem was security. The queue for security went right round the terminal building and out into the car park and took around an hour and a half to negotiate.

My flight took off an hour late, after the last person made it through security to the departure gate.

Assume this is normal for Saturday mornings, so if you are booked to fly from Genoble on a Saturday morning be warned that you might face 2-3 hours of standing in queues Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AB Ski,
Flew from Lyon airport and it was a bit better but not masses the security queue does not sound as long but was very slow moving with only three of the available six scanners in use and an age being taken with each person took us an hour to get through security.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i've had similar experiences at geneva so its not just grenoble that suffers at busy periods. To be fair, an hour delay to a flight isnt the end of the world and IMO not really worthy of either the tag "shambles" or a thread.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
eddiethebus, +1 If its only an hour I think I have had it off.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grenoble is nothing like Geneva or even Lyon though. It's chaos every weekend during the winter. I particularly like the lengthy arrivals queues for passports which are outside. The arrivals side of it is basically a glorified tin shack.

But it's ideal for L2A, ADH, etc where I'm often heading.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

To be fair, an hour delay to a flight isnt the end of the world

Totally agree that an hours delay isn't the end of the world, I've often experienced much worse - but the queue and delay in getting through security was far worse than anything I've encountered before in 30 years of flying to the alps - maybe up to now I've just been lucky.

Quote:

IMO not really worthy of either the tag "shambles" or a thread.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, and my opinion after being there is that the organisation at the airport was shambolic. not worth a thread - maybe, but If I was planning on 'cutting fine' my arrival at Grenoble for a flight or arriving with small children I'd appreciate somebody giving me a heads up about what to expect.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yep, another vote for driving.

Driving to the Alps over the last 30+ years

Biggest delay (since the motorways were finished) I have ever had on the road was 2 hours through a snowstorm around Lyon.
Longest delay at the Tunnel has been two hours for which healthy compensation was paid.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used to think Grenoble was the most ridiculous badly run shambles of an enterprise ever. Then we flew to Chambery.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was departing from Grenoble sat morning as well and flight ended up leaving two hours late (no information given apart from a generic 'flight delayed' on the boards at check-in) and the security queue was a complete shambles, never experienced anything like it at an airport (two queues merging - one from the toilet area and the other from the check-in desk end also) was over 2 hours from queuing for check-in to getting through security. Certainly bad enough to intend to never go to that airport ever again.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

To be fair, an hour delay to a flight isnt the end of the world and IMO not really worthy of either the tag "shambles" or a thread.

Maybe your view would be different if you had a 3 hour drive home after landing.

This year I've joined a group going to L2A, and we're flying to Grenoble. It will be my first visit to France since my vow (clearly now broken) never to return to the place. In the intervening years I haven't had a delay at either Munich, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Vancouver, Venice, Verona or Turin. So why is it so much more difficult for the French to organize their airports to function as they have been paid to?

Or is it yet another example of the complete contempt for tourists that is so prevalent in France?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've done Grenoble a number of times and departures has been a disaster every time. Shambles to get checked in and then a constant queue to security that snaked well out the door.

I'll never fly from there again!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have to say I was somewhat unimpressed with Grenoble last April too. Complete lack of signs etc indicating where to go, where things are etc. On arrival the bags arrived in a hidden place, no directions. On departure, it was not even remotely clear where to queue, and when we finally did check in, we went to the eating bit and although we got a table, nobody came to take our order after 15 minutes so we left. Good thing we did, because the security queue was massive. Even getting on the plane it was totally not clear where to wait etc. I think they think you're supposed to be psychic.

Will be avoiding in future. Geneva (and every other airport in the world I've used, and there have been quite a few!) is better!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thecramps, I used to think Chambery was a shambles until I flew from Southend. Flight went from being on time to 2 hrs delayed to 25 mins delayed within half an hour. Ended up about an hour late in both directions, no real complaints because we walked straight through security and customs at either end, so got the hour back one way or another compared to many other much less efficient and expensive airports, like Luton and Grenoble etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mozwold wrote:

Or is it yet another example of the complete contempt for tourists that is so prevalent in France?

i'm the first to admit that spending time in france being surrounded by their somewhat strange practices and bureaucracy can make things difficult, but to say they have a contempt for tourists is I think taking it a little far.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mistress Panda, Best airport we've been to was Ostersund. We were waiting at passport control when one of the guys who had unloaded the plane came in, changed his hat and then opened passport control. He was then seen loading baggage onto the carousel. No delays, no fuss, excellent. Been there several times.
snow report
And I challenge all the naysayers on here to set up an airport and run it without a hitch for only 40 days a year and still turn some sort of profit. We all want cheap holidays, short transfers, very few people want to travel by coach from the UK, Geneva and Lyon are at max capacity at weekends so something has to give and part time airports are the stop gap.

Oh and any airport that I can get from aircraft door to starting the car in 5 minutes having only paid €30 for parking is a winner in my book. (Hand luggage only).
snow report
I've been through Grenoble three or four times and never had a problem.I'm not suggesting that is a representative survey, just my experience. All airports and all airlines have good days and bad days. The only valid way to compare them is statistically over a long period, but knowing that doesn't help if you happen to hit two or three bad days on the bounce.
ski holidays
I flew back from Grenoble on Sunday 26th Jan and it was excellent. Check in took no time at all and every desk was staffed. Security no problem. I think they only had 2 flights to deal with though. It is more difficult whwn it gets over-loaded.

snowHead
latest report
chocksaway, Make sure you have a quick look underneath it next time before you drive away though Sad

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=106367&highlight=

Agree with you about them having to ramp up from one plane a week to 20(?) on a Saturday. A lot of the staff seem to be part time / students.
ski holidays
is st.etienne used anymore?
snow conditions
skitow, Eeek - mine was there from before Xmas to the 28th.
latest report
eddiethebus,
Quote:

but to say they have a contempt for tourists is I think taking it a little far.

Yeah, maybe.........but only a little wink
ski holidays
I flew out from Grenoble on Saturday evening (18:15 to LPL). It was busy but no real issues. We arrived at around 4:30, 10 mins to drop the car off (hire car chap was most grateful to receive our leftover beers and wine;-) ). 10 mins in the bag drop queue. Waited 45mins with one of the team who was flying to LGW later that evening (had a glass of wine or two). Through to departures and waited a further 20 mins or so. Boarded plane, took off close to time and landed 15mins ahead of schedule.

No problem. I guess we were just lucky Toofy Grin
ski holidays
AB Ski, Sounds about standard for Grenoble on a busy Saturday!

Quote:

Claude B, Grenoble is nothing like Geneva or even Lyon though. It's chaos every weekend during the winter. I particularly like the lengthy arrivals queues for passports which are outside. The arrivals side of it is basically a glorified tin shack.

Last time we were out there there was a chap serving coffee and giving out chocolates 'to make the queue happier' just before you go inside.
latest report
The problem really seems to be a 'rush hour' for flights. As stated earlier I'm sure when I looked at the board there were six departures due within an hour, so six plane loads of passengers all trying to get through check in and security at the same time. At other times of the day with say two departures per hour the airport appears to cope reasonably well.

Don't know how flight scheduling works but I'm guessing it's all done for some commercial advantage rather than the practicality of optimizing the schedule to fit the airport's capabilities.
snow report
Flight scheduling is a serious science and PhD mathematicians work on the algorithms involved. I work on IT in the airline industry, mostly on commercial systems. I know just enough about the operational side to realise how much I don't know.
snow conditions
We had a 10:30 flight last Saturday and were in the same boat....the plane was slightly late taking off from Manchester but should have made up time (as we did the week before), but due to congestion in the airport had to circle. Then after turnaround, it took them an age to load the bags before sitting on the tarmac waiting for a slot 25 minutes later. All in all, landed back at Manchester only 45 minutes late as we did make up time on the way (can't think of a single flight I have taken that takes anywhere near the scheduled flying time, sure they build in extra minutes so they can say they landed on time!!).

It's the fourth time we have flown from Grenoble, as we've visited LDA and ADH a number of times and it really is the most convenient, but would avoid if I could!!
snow conditions
AB Ski wrote:
The problem really seems to be a 'rush hour' for flights.

More like the rush hour passengers cause the problem! Last time I had problems EJ were checking in 2 flights to depart soon and had another 2 a couple of hours later. They had signs saying which flights were checking in, they had signs saying the later 2 flights weren't open for check in, they had staff going up and down the queue asking people on the later flights to go and wait elsewhere and still about 1 in 3 who got to the front of the queue was for the later flights.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grenoble only handles internal flights outside of the skiing season so I don't expect they'll invest too much in it. There were very strong rumours that it was closing a few years ago (made the french press) so I guess we should be thankful it's there at all.
snow report
davkt wrote:
AB Ski wrote:
The problem really seems to be a 'rush hour' for flights.

More like the rush hour passengers cause the problem! Last time I had problems EJ were checking in 2 flights to depart soon and had another 2 a couple of hours later. They had signs saying which flights were checking in, they had signs saying the later 2 flights weren't open for check in, they had staff going up and down the queue asking people on the later flights to go and wait elsewhere and still about 1 in 3 who got to the front of the queue was for the later flights.

along with folks who get to the front of the queue and then start patting pockets and searching bags for documentation, or, as always happens. Call goes out for rows 1 thru 15 and everyone in rows 16 thru 30 get up and in the queue. And don't even start me on the people who crowd around the baggage reclaim when if everyone actually just stood back a bit it would be easier to both see and retrieve your bags...

Grrrrrrr...

Anyway 11 more days and I will be in BHX awaiting a 2 hop flight to Innsbruck via Frankfurt and a private transfer to Obergurgl so I am gradually turning from the ogre into the happy smiley dad. 3 pairs of ski's edged, waxed and bindings checked, 1 pair left to do. A couple of little purchases to make this weekend and I will be done.... Happy
ski holidays
And now for something completely different Madeye-Smiley

Friend of mine who came out to stay with us last week has been mildly fecked off with being treated like a sheep over the years going charter etc

To come here to Serre Chevalier he has flown BA Gatwick Turin which is not too bad.

This year, he tried something different.

Drove to Ashford and took Eurostar to Paris - then on to Garre de Lyon where he had a nice lunch whilst waiting for the Paris / Lyon / Turin TGV.

He had no hassle with baggage allowances, was extremely comfortable and above all treated like a human being and not a sheep, though has to be said current rules transporting animals to abattoirs see them being treated better than the airlines treat people.

He disembarked at Oulx (Italy) which is 40mins for me to collect him.

On his return he was actually looking forward to it, we drove to Oulx, arrived half an hour before train, had a nice coffee and said "bye"
snow report
Weathercam, all OK if you have a day to spare!! I find Lyon airport to be the best combination of evening flights in and out, largish so pretty well appointed, easy to get into the mountains, BA flight prices OK and easyjet bargains occasionally and car hire. Never had an issue over queues but obviously the odd delay.
latest report
Weathercam, all OK if you have a day to spare!! I find Lyon airport to be the best combination of evening flights in and out, largish so pretty well appointed, easy to get into the mountains, BA flight prices OK and easyjet bargains occasionally and car hire. Never had an issue over queues but obviously the odd delay.
snow report
Weathercam, the BA > Turin flight is just fine, and you can be on the slopes at Serre Che by 12 if you get the 6.40am flight.

Grenoble airport isn't great, but its not exactly badly managed. More that it goes from 1 flight a day normally to loads of flights on a winter Saturday. Just get there with plenty of time.
snow report
Does seems to be a timing issue. I too travelled back from Grenoble on a Saturday morning and it just seemed unable to deal with numbers of people. The TOs seemed to just be dumping coachloads of people far too early for their flights which just made the issue worse.

It’s the only time I have ever seen “Queue-rage” amongst Brits. One guy ran the length of a very long queue to scream at a group of people who had the misfortune to not understand where the queue started/ended which was not easy given it seemed to loop round and round a coffee shop.

The entrance to security was being manned and after asking which flight you were on, some people were being sent down a shorter/quicker route which we presumed was because they were on a flight that was just leaving. Turned out it was a fairly random exercise as we were on the same flight as some others around us and some were sent down the quicker route (including us) whilst others had to take the long queue. Some parties/families on the same flight were split up – think I would have said something if my party was split up!!

Our flight was only about an hour late as we were left sitting on the plane whilst the last few passengers fought their way through security. No big deal but after leaving our resort at 4.00am and spending nearly 5 hours at the airport it did start the conversation about how we might do it differently next year. I’d be happy to drive but wife not keen on driving abroad so that would mean doing all the driving myself. Maybe train. Preferably not Grenoble but if it was the only way I was going to be able to go skiing then I’d just take a book and relax. Getting home an hour or two later is unlikely to make a lot of difference to us. I think you create a lot of your own stress in these situations – we were laughing with the others around us and just hoping we did not do something to upset the queue-rage guy who was still looking pretty angry!!

Rob
snow report
Flew from Grenoble the Saturday after New Year. Check in was a nightmare - place chock a block so people couldnt move anywhere as they were blocked by huge queues of people (not easy trying to sneak through multiple queues with suitcases and ski bags and kids to keep track of). Our check in hadnt opened yet so I found a bench covered with about 30 items of litter (bits of crisps, biscuits, half eaten sandwiches, spilt drinks etc) and I cleared it up (couldnt get to a bin so I out it all in the basket bit of a luggage trolley). Just lovely. If I was French I would be ashamed of that airport.

Also, why do the French often not have toilet seats?

I dont mind an hours delay, these things happen, but Id much prefer that hour to be spent having a drink, sat down somewhere reasonably clean - I now know how those caged hens feel...all squashed in together standing in their own mess Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Also, why do the French often not have toilet seats?

Yes I noticed this in just about every public toilet and those in most of the bars in Sauze.
snow report
We've always been dropped off around about on time RobWa, but I do think it is the volume of flights leaving in such a short space of time. An airport such as Gatwick or Manchester for example wouldn't blink an eye at 6 flights going out in the space of less than an hour, but not Grenoble.

Also, their insistence of one tray for bags, one for shoes, one for electrical stuff, one for.....in the security queue does not help whatsoever.
ski holidays
I drive to Italy.

12/17 hours and with two of us we don't miss much slope time!
snow report
I've been having a wee google about to see if I can find a timetable or schedule of arrivals at Grenoble. Anyone know if this exists?

I can find live arr/dep data but not one you can search for a date, eg a saturday.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy