Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning on local dry slope vs cost of fridge

Poster: A snowHead
Me and a few of the lads are thinking about a week of boarding next year... none of us can snowboard yet!

Silksworth dry ski-slope isn't far from us and lessons are reasonably priced, is it worth going or should we shell out the extra cash for a trip to Braehead or castleford...? Will it matter much at an early stage..?

Thoughts...?

~Mac
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I learned on a dry slope and found it fine. The indoor snow places are probably a softer landing, but if it's a fair trek and more money then I wouldn't think it was worth it at the start.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Elizabeth B, I was a bit worried about the landing on the dry slope... looks horrific.

When learning to ski we just did a day course at Castleford but were £150 lighter for the experience
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The dry slope will be much better than nothing, you'll have more idea of what to expect on real snow if you go to one of the giant fridges and so long as you are all reasonably fit a learn in a day course will be great fun (book the next day off work though as you may well have trouble walking!). Plus falling over may well hurt less (get some impact shorts and wrist guards!) landing on snow rather than matting!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh and sign up for the fridge email newsletters, even at the start of Nov I got a half price snowboard learn in a day at Chill Factore from an offer on their newsletter (might be worth looking at CF as well, easy enough to get to by train into Manchester then tram out to the Trafford Centre)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Loads of offers on at the mo at the chill factor in manchester ... begginer courses for £90 etc just have a look on their site on the offers tab.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What is the dry slope made of out off? if its the smooth matting then go for that. when i learnt in Norwich it was on the old school cross dendex which is just a load of needles that do hurt when you fall on them and they pierce your clothing causing a few custs and scratches, But a few years back they expanded and got the new style smoother mattng which is much better, and doesnt hurt to fall on.

I found leanring on dry slope was good, as when i got on snow it seamed much easier and lots of people have said that. the main thing with dry slopes is they are slower and take a little extra effort to turn on, so if you learn on there, by the time you hit the slopes you should find it easier to advance quicker.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As a beginner snowboarder you're going to fall over. A lot. It will probably be uncomfortable whether you're on snow or or a dry slope, but good gloves (I use leather ones when skiing on the dry slope) and other clothing will help a lot on the dry slope.

In terms of how much you'll learn, I think at your stage it's all about time spent doing it. So if the dry slope is closer and cheaper, and you don't get put off going by the falling over, you'll likely be able to spend longer boarding if you go to the dry slope. And more time doing it will mean you get better at it.

Dry slopes aren't for everyone, but definitely worth giving it a go.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kieranm wrote:
Dry slopes aren't for everyone, but definitely worth giving it a go.

i completely agree, when living in Norwich it was the only option on a regular basis and after a few times and you start picking it up, can be fun. I now have xscape just round the corner so its better, but when thats not an option...just think, a few years back they were the only option!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thestoney6 wrote:
What is the dry slope made of out off?

From the pictures on the web it looks like the thumb breaking stuff!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I learnt on dry slope - if it is dendex I would say don't bother and spend the extra in the snowdome. Dendex is difficult to learn to snowboard on and hurts a lot to fall on. If it is snowflex of simmilar maybe worth it if it means you get more time practicing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Broke two fingers learning on dendex. Quite common I think.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Broke two fingers learning on dendex. Quite common I think.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I learnt on Dendix, which is named after Dennis Dixon, hence the spelling. I didn't use any body armour or any of that stuff, never hurt myself nor did any of my mates.

If you take lessons they'll tell you how not to hurt yourself.

Personally I'm not much impressed with snow dones - poor snow; crowded; slow; little variety of surface.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did a lot of boarding at Hill End in the 90s , 100s of sessions, but between me and my kids we have had one broken leg and 3 broken arms, given the choice these days I would go for a fridge. But if you learn on dendix you will be able to ride anything.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:
Personally I'm not much impressed with snow dones - poor snow; crowded; slow; little variety of surface.

i only ever go during the day during the week when its off peak so its not so busy, and the variety of surface is beter than dry slopes as the dry slopes are just flat.
latest report
Mac22, A Dryslope is fine. The key is to booking to a Instructor lead session who should keep you safe. If the Instructor is any thing like you should not be falling.
ski holidays
[quote="thestoney6"i only ever go during the day during the week when its off peak so its not so busy, and the variety of surface is beter than dry slopes as the dry slopes are just flat.[/quote]

Me too - I pick the quietest morning of the quietest day, and don't go at all near the season; the risk is just too great.

Flat dry slopes: ok, I don't go to any of those. Many have bumps and the best are in fact, sloping wink

I agree about the falling thing, you should fall a bit, but not all the time and you quickly pass that stage (4 hours if you're at all athletic).
snow report
Quote:

I agree about the falling thing, you should fall a bit, but not all the time and you quickly pass that stage (4 hours if you're at all athletic).

I think snowboard tuition has moved on from when I learnt then! Or else I was just really rubbish.
snow report
davkt wrote:
thestoney6 wrote:
What is the dry slope made of out off?

From the pictures on the web it looks like the thumb breaking stuff!

true! Went a few years back and remember it well!
snow conditions
I was asked the same question last night by a mate of mine who wants his lad to start skiing.

Dry slope beginner lessons: £60 for three two hour lessons.

Dome: £145 for six hours in one day, or £135 if that's taken over two or three days.

I told him to go to the dry slope.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
I was asked the same question last night by a mate of mine who wants his lad to start skiing.

Dry slope beginner lessons: £60 for three two hour lessons.

Dome: £145 for six hours in one day, or £135 if that's taken over two or three days.

I told him to go to the dry slope.

The price difference can be a big factor, i remember going to freestyle nights at Norwich Dry Slope and was like £5 for the night, i was looking at Castleford when i was there last week and its like £30 for 2 hours!!!

Mosha Marc - I see your from halifax, any idea if another world has any snow yet or when its due some. I have never been but discovered it on the web a few weeks back so with it being almost on my door step would like to try it out. But there twitter and facebook pages dont say anything?
snow report
It's a shame that Sheffield Ski Village closed Sad It had a good variety of slopes for both skiers & boarders
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
It's a shame that Sheffield Ski Village closed Sad It had a good variety of slopes for both skiers & boarders

Is closed the correct term?? didnt it burn to the ground??
ski holidays
thestoney6 wrote:
Is closed the correct term?? didnt it burn to the ground??

Repeatedly...And what didn't burn got dragged off to moody scrapyards by 'local independent entrepreneurs'
http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=25295
snow conditions
It closed before it burned.

But it was operating and fell into a really bad state of disrepair before it closed/burnt. Grassed over the top of the red barron, never had the T bar working, didn't repair worn patches or bits of metal sticking up...

In its heyday of the 1980's and 1990s it was AWESOME Very Happy
snow report
thestoney6 wrote:
Mosha Marc - I see your from halifax, any idea if another world has any snow yet or when its due some. I have never been but discovered it on the web a few weeks back so with it being almost on my door step would like to try it out. But there twitter and facebook pages dont say anything?

Sadly there's no snow round here yet. I'll be nipping up to Another World as soon as we get a covering snowHead
snow report
I learnt on dendix , bar a couple of days in Scotland my first holiday snowboarding was in Lake Louise and I could ride any slope on the mountain comfortably given decent snow was so much easier than plastic.

You will get a bruised arris and contemplate jacking it in after the first couple of hours. Push on through.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy