Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thumb Brace

Poster: A snowHead
While my son was at his lesson on Saturday at Hillend (dry slope), I decided to have a few hours practice myself. Right at the bottom of the run I wiped out. I still don't know what happened but it was a big one. I must have put my hand right hand out as it seems to have come off worse, especially my thumb. The "Hillend Thumb" is well known at the local A&E centres and having avoid one for 36 years I think I finally succumbed. As a precaution I went to the Minor Injuries Centre and after x-raying it then said there was nothing broken but the ligaments were probably damaged. 3 other fingers were staved and swollen but not broken either.

I'm slowly getting moved back in to the thumb and fingers but as we are off to Val d'Isere at the weekend I'm looking for something that will give me a bit of support and protection should I fall again. I need to ensure the thumb is not pulled back and the damage further aggravated.

There seem to be a lot of wrist/thumb supports on the web but I could do with advice from people who have had a similar injury and any recommendations for good supports or ones to avoid. Whatever I get it will need to fit under a glove.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gaza, This:-

http://physiowarehouse.co.uk/psb-thumb-brace-00019301.html?gclid=CLiEl9a9sLwCFVDLtAodjUEAxw

I had a really bad Bennetts fracture on my thumb and wrist 5 years ago, I wore this first season back skiing, really good, in obtrusive and great thumb support.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Markymark29. I had seen that earlier today and thought it might do the job. Good to get a personal view so I've ordered one.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gaza,

I've done mine a few times.

I got an orthopaedic colleague to put on an old fashioned Elastoplast thumb spica which gave enough stability.

Here is an illustration of how to apply http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=UOpkN2i5Y6sC&pg=PA145&lpg=PA145&dq=elastoplast+thumb+spica&source=bl&ots=aC4TY-IMv3&sig=vQHXNWF5084EN6TMIuDnOLN4iPU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nBnwUtO0MYWd7QbhwIDwCg&ved=0CDYQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=elastoplast%20thumb%20spica&f=false.

It requires multiple increasing lengths of Elastoplast wrapped as per the diagram. It will last days.its much easier to get someone to help put it on . Don't apply it too tightly just lay the tape on .

Don't use the straps on your poles as if you fall it could wrench it further

Jonathan Bell
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gaza, Listen to Jonathan Bell, he is one of (if not the) top ski injury surgeons in the country!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Jonathan Bell. As Mrs Gaza is staying at home I'd have to rely on my 6 year old for assistance and that would probably get messy! Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gaza,

I just cut bout ten strips of tape and stik them lightly to edge of a table.

The first piece us about 2" long then each piece a little longer by about 25 -30%

Start at the end if thumb just leaving the nail exposed

Your six year old can hold your glass of wine whilst you apply
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonathan Bell wrote:
Gaza,

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I succumbed to the easy route and ordered the brace suggested by Markymark29 but it went straight back. Firstly, it had obviously been opened/tried by someone else as the packaging was damaged and it looked a little grubby. I tired it anyway and while it provided good support and gave me some relief it had a very annoying design flaw. There was a hard section where the tapes on the thumb section attached that dug in to the skin between my thumb and forefinger. After about 10 minutes trying it I decided it was going back and I suspect the original purchaser had the same issue.

I then did a bit more research and came across this - http://www.firstaid4sport.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=MU62712 - it arrived this afternoon and has made life a bit more comfortable while driving.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gaza wrote:
Jonathan Bell wrote:
Gaza,

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I succumbed to the easy route and ordered the brace suggested by Markymark29 but it went straight back. Firstly, it had obviously been opened/tried by someone else as the packaging was damaged and it looked a little grubby. I tired it anyway and while it provided good support and gave me some relief it had a very annoying design flaw. There was a hard section where the tapes on the thumb section attached that dug in to the skin between my thumb and forefinger. .

That's why I think tape is better for holding a ski pole- it's soft and malleable.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gaza, sorry to hear that, worked fine for me, guess it depends on you hand size/ glove type etc.......and maybe the previous wearer had a different shaped hand! Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29, I still have a lot of swelling around the joint so I suspect that was partly the issue. I do have large hands so that combined with the swelling won't help.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gaza, try keep it moving as. Much as you can, and be rigorous with physio, my thumb moves but the thumb knuckles are completely seized up, calcified apparently due to the bad break.......the surgeon was going to remove it when i was going under anaesthetic they asked me for authorisation.... I wouldn't let them and I'm glad...not ideal but it still works a key board and holds a ski pole! Get super cold in v cold weather, bad circulation in the thumb.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Resurrecting an old post, but I did something similar to my thumb yesterday. I guess it goes without saying that I shouldn't self-diagnose but should get the injury check out. I'm pretty sure it's not a fracture, or at least I hope so! If it's not a break will a thumb spica allow me to ski on? It's mid-Feb and with at least 2 months left of the season I'd hate it to be over so soon! Ok, I know, cross that bridge when I come to it...go and get it checked out first. Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At a risk of pre-judging that the GP will tell you exactly that, and depending on how long it takes to get a diagnosis maybe get the swelling down if any with cold pack and buy a thumb brace now (they aren't very pricey) and wear that as much as possible. Can't hurt and helped mine even wearing the brace for the short periods I remembered to do so.

Would think it would better to wear a proper brace for the time you can then spica as and when needed for greater movement.

Good luck with it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @ster, thumb brace on, ice pack being used--good advice. Had a x-ray and just waiting to hear back from the doctor. Got the impression she didn't think it was broken and was just sending me for an x-ray as a precaution. Here's hoping! Smile
snow report
Good to hear you're getting sorted. Might be belt and braces from the doctor but just as well to be sure then the real treatment can begin.

I have a tear in a plantar plate in a toe and got sent for a blood test (to eliminate gout!) an x-ray, two MRIs and an ultrasound over the period of a six or so months (NHS may be slow but it gets there) to confirm what it was.
snow conditions
@Gaza, I did the same thing before my very first ski trip. I had a thermoplastic splint lots of icing, and some very gentle massage to aid healing. A&E wanted elbow length plaster cast for 4 weeks. I bought a larger pair of gloves with a zipped back so it was easier to put on.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy