Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Review - Mayrhofen (late Jan 2014)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone

Given the amount I've read on this forum, it's about time I gave something back. So here's my report having arrived back last night.

I'll try and keep it brief...

Accomodation
We booked the Eder Garni through Crystal. It's a first class B&B. Everything was spot on. I even emailed in advance to ask for a room with a bath so I can soak my bad ankles/knees and they were more than happy to do that!

Location was great, only a short walk down to the Penkenbahn and Ahornbahn.

Seemed to be loads of decent accomodation for a decent price around the town. Wasn't spread out very far and, looking at Crystal before we left, there were plenty of last minute deals at this time of year.

Food/drink etc
Not a huge amount of eating out options really. Steakhouse was good for a large slab of meat and the traditional Austrian by the Harakiri bar was good. Coup & More was very nice.

On the mountain it was all pretty usual stuff for Austrian resorts - we left it until 1.30 and always got a table. However, the favourite was to come down the Penken at 2pm and eat at the Gasser butcher opposite, then head up to Ahorn for a blast down. Amazing.

Drinking was rubbish. Everywhere was quiet. Ice Bar is an overated conservatory with drunken Dutch and Scandies. Scotland Yard, Funky, Piccadilly were all dead. Harakiri was a bit of a laugh, although thieves aplenty so a few jackets went missing. Some poor guy found his in the lav...

The only true Austrain apres was the Bruck by Ahorn, but that wasn't busy until later on. Although, the bars at the bottom of Kaltenbach and Hintertux were both good, esp the former.

Penkenbahn
Worth a heading alone for this! I was fearful of this having read reviews. For the uninitiated, the only "main" way up and down the mountain are by this lift (ski route to Horberg was closed).

We got there by 8.45 at the latest and always got a seat. 9-10 it was far worse from chatting to others.

Coming down was actually fairly easy at 5pm. It seemed worse earlier when trying to miss the rush.

The Skiing
On the whole it was good. We had a bit of snow when we arrived, which by all accounts was needed. Loads of artificial snow makers.

Lots of cruisy reds, but I don't think it suits beginners as the nursery blues on Penken get packed and there aren't many options. Quality of other skiers was very poor so at times it was a battle on busier slopes!

With imagination there is plenty to do - trips to Hintertux were nice (only on a sunny day), especially if you first ski to Egalm and get the local bus. You can ignore the bus time table to get back as there are simply loads of Green Line buses that constantly get filled and leave. Just don't leave it after 5pm!

Kaltenbach was nice as it's simple to ski around, loads of off piste, and decent run down to the apres bar. We got the last train back at 8.15 and it was dead.

The downside is that if you're in a large group then you can't easily meet up for lunch if one lot goes out on the train and some stay locally. Also, it's a pain to get back to Penken in a direct line from anywhere if you're not competent; you end up always faffing your way to the 4er up from Horberg to the Kombibahn.

Best runs:

- Ahorn: The run down to the valley is mint.
- Penken: Harakiri is good (get free photos on Friday pm), black 17 and red 7 also nice plus all the runs down from Kombi and Finkenberg down to the 150er tux.
- Eggalm: All nice
- Hintertux: both runs back into the valley are lovely

Summary

In a small group I'd probably go back, but not with lash-hounds as you've got to get up early.

Lack of decent late evening apres was sad as was the small size of the immediate ski area. In fact, I'm astonished at the rep for being a party town - maybe it's just quiet this week?

However, the skiing was good and it's a cheap and accessible area. If budget is an issue and you get a great last minute deal then it's probably worth it - after all, it's a lot cheaper than St Anton and Ischgl...!

If you've any questions, just reply and I'll add my thoughts.

Cheers

BB
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the review! We're considering a trip to Zell in March and there's some useful info there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice write up. We went this time of year a few years ago and it wasn't that busy. I'm surprised you didn't like the Ice Bar though, we had a great time in there!

The other good bar was the sports bar with the excellent singer/guitarist. I really didn't like the grotty 'English' pub though (Scotland Yard?). Too dark, busy and smoky. The other bars were all deserted, as you say.

I think it's a great ski area, we LOVED Hintertux, and had day trips to Zell Am Ziller and some other nearby resort as well.

Penkenbahn wasn't that bad, but we only attempted it on two mornings anyway. The first day we just went up Ahorn instead, and on three others we were skiing elsewhere.

I would certainly go back, and next time would endeavour not to travel down Harakiri on my face. Embarassed
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from Mayrhofen last night too and had an excellent time making the most of the whole ski area covered by the lift pass (except Zell am Ziller because the lift linking there from Gerlos was kaput) in some really nice snow conditions.

Did you ski 16a in the Penken area? I agree that the runs you mention were great but 16a was a particular favourite of ours.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy