Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mini review Down CD6, Whitedot Director (and what skis for me)

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a week in Chamonix where I hired some Down CD6 from Concept Proshop so I thought I would put up a little review. My boyfriend skis the WD Directors and as they have quite similar dimensions to the CD6s I thought it would be interesting to compare them.

About me
I', 5'9, 175cm, been skiing about 10 seasons, 30-40 days for the last 6-7 years. I am increasingly skiing more and more off piste and on this holiday really only used the pistes to get places so am looking for a new ski. I'm not a great skier, I can ski long stretches off pistes but when it is steep or really chopped up I won't be skiing fluidly and turn back up th ehill to control my speed, I am not a ripper Smile
At the moment I ski a 177cm Rossi S3 and an old non rockered 177cm Volkl Aura.

http://www.downskis.com/skis/countdown-6
The CD6 is described as a carbon all mountain ski, 185cm, 127-106-121, R 25m, flat camber with tip rocker and very slight tail rocker. This is the first carbon and non cambered ski I have skied for any length of time.
There are some really nice reviews of the CD6 here http://www.exoticskis.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=302 and http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/259532-Short-review-Downskis-Countdown-6

http://www.whitedotskis.com/skis/director
188cm, these are described as a 5 point side cut ski but the sahpe was very similar to the CD6, 117-121/107/111-107 R 27m, flat cambered with tip and more pronounced tail rocker than the CD6s
reviews
http://www.exoticskis.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=202

I thought it might be nice to read a review from a more average skier so here goes, excuse the non technical descriptions.

I really enjoyed the CD6s, like the other reviewers said they are ridiculously easy to ski, they turn so easily and I didn't feel the extra length over my old skis at any point. They were also surprisingly good on piste, I only skied on pistes for small amounts of time but skied down on a reasonably hard packed red tun at the end of the day and these were fine, no worse than my S3s. They do feel really short on piste, like the ski finishes about 10cm in front of your toes but thus didn't bother me, there really aren't supposed to be piste skis. They were a lot of fun in any untracked or lightly tracked snow, they had a really fun, poppy feel to them. We swapped skis at lunch time then went and skied some of the same runs. The Directors were similarly easy to ski in all conditions. They weren't as lively as the CD6 and didn't have as fun a feeling in the untracked snow but felt much more stable to me in the heavily tracked stuff.

I don't have a lot to say about either of these skis, I pretty much agree with what exotic skis says except his reviews also apply to skiers skiing at a far lower level. If I was buying a ski mainly for touring or skied a lot of untracked snow then I would buy the CD6, it was incredibly light and a lot of fun to ski in untracked. Unfortunately I am often skiing more heavily tracked out snow and for this I preferred the Directors, I think if you were willing to drive the CD6s then they would probably be as good in tracked snow but I enjoyed the dampness of the Directors and found it gave me more confidence, if my boyfriend did't already have a pair I would be tempted to buy them, unfortunately he really, really likes skiing them as well.

So in conclusion, bigger fatter skis can still be easily skied by an average skier, both the CD6 and Director were as easy to ski as my S3s but a lot more confidence inspiring, they were both easier to ski than my Auras in all conditions I tried. I would happily ski either ski as an everyday off piste ski and if I was looking for a dedicated touring ski would buy the CD6 immediately. I only tur a few days a year at the moment so am looking for something else, any suggestions? I guess the Rossi Soul 7 is obvious but am wondering whther I should go fatter, the Super 7? Anything else, this demo showed me I really want something that's good in heavier, cut up snow, everything is fun in untracked. I want a ski that is easy to pivot and I guess 105-110 underfoot, up to about 190cm?

here's a surprisingly flattering snap of me on the CD6s under the top gondola on the Grand Montet in Chamonix on Tuesday, I'm not posting the ones where I'm traversing across the fall line in the back seat Smile

[/img]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If the Directors work, why not get a pair?

You could also take a look at the CD7, which begin a bit longer/wider/heavier should be a bit better in tracked/crud than the 6, though I can't say it excels in re-frozen mank type stuff. For that you (or at least I) want something with some metal in it, al la Blizzard Cochise. Probably more work in tight spots though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BTW a shop in Munich called Black Sheep Sports seems to have a great range of indie ski brands, may be worth a look to see if there's anything of interest?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
If the Directors work, why not get a pair?

My boyfriend skis them as his everyday ski, not sure I'm ready for matching pink spotty skis Wink

I should have tried the Cochise actually, I got put off as it is usually described as a bit of a charger, it's finding the balance between easy to ski but still with a bit of weight, i would love to try more skis but it gets expensive hiring, I need to find a demo day.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynseyf, get the carbon rangers then Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, the Ranger probably is worth a try, would be interesting to see the differences between it and the Director anyway
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the review... there's far too little information about Down skis on the internet. Given your description, I'm assuming you tried last years version of the CD6 as the new one is full reverse camber. I've not come across any comparisons of old to new (or even reviews of the new design at all!) which is a shame.

If you're not shopping for this season, it might be well worth your while to wait for Down's summer preorders as they've been astonishingly good value in past years, and substantially cheaper than the Whitedots. There have also been teasing rumours of different lengths and the possibility of models with metal layers in, but nothing concrete as yet...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serriadh, no it was the 13/14 version from the website info, certainly that topsheet and the skis looked brand new. I would have described them as flat with rocker but it is probably just my terminology, they had a reasonably pronounced tip rocker but the tail rocker was very subtle, I haven't skied any other non cambered skis except for 1-2 runs so not really sure I would notice the difference between flat camber with rocker vs full reverse camber unless it was really banana shaped. I was generally really impressed with the quality of the Down skis, I skied over quite a few rocks and only got one tiny scratch in the bases and the top sheets looked really nice. They were also really, really light, even compared to my S3s, the Downs had Marker squires and my S3s have schizos (not the jester ones, just the plastic ones) which may add a bit to their weight but it was really noticeable even just carrying the skis around.

I want new skis obviously, but I have 3 pairs so don't [i]need[i/] new skis now and certainly can't afford them so will probably try to try out a few more pairs then look for a bargain in the summer.

I'm not really sure I want or need carbon skis at the minute, when i get more into touring they would be a welcome addition but think I'm really looking for something to ski lift served off piste at the minute.

Just looking at the Blister reviews of the Cochise and really wish I had tried a pair now, I had it in my mind they were really stiff?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lynseyf, my wife much prefers lighter skis, she finds "mens" skis feel very heavy and heard to turn, so the lightness of a carbon ski maybe beneficial?

I got my wife a pair of the Armada TSTw in the end of seasons sales last April/May
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynseyf,
Just my opinion ......

The Cochise is not a ski for light riders who don't charge (we don't know your weight and it would be rude to ask snowHead ).

To be honest from what you have written, I doubt changing the skis will make a great deal of difference. From the pic and what you have written, it's probably your head playing games. Unless you commit and get the weight over the ski on steep and tracked out offpiste, you are gong to be on the tails and pick up speed then have to bail out. Your money might be better spent on a steep 'n' deep freeride course to take your skiing to the next level.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, I appreciate that but, but, but I want new skis Wink

Seriously though I have 2 pairs of skis, one of which is too short or soft for me and one which is a bit too stiff and has no rocker, I want to sell them both and get one pair I am happy with, I've had both pairs for about 4 years so I'm not that fickle and yes I am wary of getting a ski that is too stiff but I found both the skis I demoed to be much easier to ski than my Auras and no more difficult than my S3s but a bit more confidence inspiring.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lynseyf,

If you are planning to do more touring then add these to your test list ....

DPS Nina 99
Volkl Nunataq
Kästle FX94 (might well be too stiff)

http://youtube.com/v/j_ve4uqKfrM

Sometimes the resorts / sports shops do touring ski test days - if I see any I'll post the links here. There can be good finds on Willhaben (e.g. people who have bought the wrong length skis or realised big mountain skis don't suit their wedelning on the blue piste. Laughing )

http://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und-verkaufen/sport-sportgeraete/ski-snowboard/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks DB, I went touring with a club from Munich but they all had super light short skis, I impressed them with my strength I think if not my speed Wink

I mostly ski with my boyfriend who skis the Directors with Barons so not too worried about weight, I have Marker Tours quiver killered on my Auras. I liked the idea of carbon skis to make touring easier but I think in reality I want an everyday lift served off piste ski at the moment then when I start to tour more will get a lighter ski and go dynafit.

I did a weeks instruction at Tux in the summer and the instructor basically said I ski ok, I just need to push it a bit more, ski steeper, ski faster, more bumps etc. My skis have been great as an intro to off piste and are fine for picking my way down a slope with small turns. When I started skiing off piste more I found it really tiring skiing carvers when my friends were all on fatter skis, the minute I bought a fatter ski I skied off piste more because it was immediately more fun and I'm kind of hoping for the same again, a step up in skis will give me a bit more confidence to ski a bit faster and go for it a bit more. I found a big difference skiing the same runs on my S3s vs the CD6s then felt even better on the Directors. Anyway I can't believe I'm defending gear whore tendancies, i thought the whole point of these forums was to tell me to buy moar stuff
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lynseyf wrote:
Thanks DB, I went touring with a club from Munich but they all had super light short skis

How did they ski?

The danger of having hero skis (skis that make a certain condition very easy to ski) is that you might not progress in skiing that condition. With touring you can be faced with various conditions all on the same slope (e.g. Powder, wind-pressed, breakable crust, death cookies, crud, wet slush/porridge, boiler plate ice etc) and there's no bailing out to the piste. IMHO it's better to find lightish performance skis you can do everything on, otherwise you end up losing the confidence when you go on a ski tour with lighter floppy skis.

The rossi soul 7 is probably not a bad bet as although it's not the lightest ski out there it has an acceptable touring weight. The super 7 is another 0.5 kg more and so a bit heavy for touring esp. multi-day. If you get the Soul 7 now, you could put dynafits on it later and get a light but stiff touring boot (e.g. TLT6 Performance) and have a reasonably weighted touring setup that can deal with "heavier" conditions. The DPS Nina 99 or Völkl's would shave another circa 400g per ski off the total weight.

http://www.evo.com/ski-weight-chart-for-alpine-backcountry-skis.aspx

The K2 sidestash might be worth adding to your test list as a heavier crud basher.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Anyway I can't believe I'm defending gear whore tendancies, i thought the whole point of these forums was to tell me to buy moar stuff

Tell me about it...I already have Directors, yet find myself drawn to CD6s just to lose 600g!
snow conditions
In the last couple of seasons I've saved around 400g x 2 going from fritschi freerides to dynafits and then another 750g x 2 going from Dynafit Titans to TLT6 performance. The skis have put on around 250 gram per ski though.
latest report
Am already using TLT Speed Classics, so not much to lose from the bindings. Boots are BD Quadrants. Could go for lighter boots but that'd be £££ and hassle to get a boot that fits. CD6s in presale for £300 sounds reasonable...50p a gram! Talking myself into it...
ski holidays
Breakfast_Chimp wrote:
Boots are BD Quadrants. Could go for lighter boots but that'd be £££ and hassle to get a boot that fits.

Tell me about it, the TLT6 boots fit really well but the Palau liners are pants. Put Intuition liners from a Scarpa boot in there for another €150. Over €800 at the end of the day just for a pair of boots. Shocked
ski holidays
DB wrote:
[

The rossi soul 7 is probably not a bad bet as although it's not the lightest ski out there it has an acceptable touring weight. The super 7 is another 0.5 kg more and so a bit heavy for touring esp. multi-day. If you get the Soul 7 now, you could put dynafits on it later and get a light but stiff touring boot (e.g. TLT6 Performance) and have a reasonably weighted touring setup that can deal with "heavier" conditions. The DPS Nina 99 or Völkl's would shave another circa 400g per ski off the total weight.

http://www.evo.com/ski-weight-chart-for-alpine-backcountry-skis.aspx

The K2 sidestash might be worth adding to your test list as a heavier crud basher.

That link shows 37g difference no and is showing the Rossis being lighter than DPS, is that right?
latest report
Looks like the Pure Nina99 comes in at around 3.2 kg / pair and the rossi S7's are around 4 kg / pair. If you go for the hybrid Nina 99 there's very little in it.

Quote:

Pure3 Construction
Sizes: 168cm / 176cm
Dimensions: 125/99/111
Turning Radius: 16-19m
Weight: 1600 grams per ski
Tip Rocker Length: 450 mm
Tail Rocker Length: 384 mm

Running Length: 1510 mm
Made in the U.S.A. at the DPS Utah Factory

Hybrid Construction
Sizes: 158cm/ 168cm / 176cm