Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Geneva airport

Poster: A snowHead
HI everyone

Im driving from Calais to meet daughter at Geneva airport (Saturday morning) en route to Les Arcs. Can anyone tell me the best way of getting to the airport avoiding the Swiss vignette ticket?
Thanks all
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
deejaybee, if you are keen to avoid as many tolls and vignettes as possible a nice variation from the motorway is to drive across the Jura (through Poligny and Champagnole, leaving the autoroute south of Dole) and if you come over the Col de La FaucilleGex you will come down into Ferney Voltaire which is where the French entrance to the airport is. follow signs to the airport and they will take you under the runway and into the main international airport. That's a shorter route than the motorway past Bourg en Bresse and takes only a little longer (though it's not a good route if the weather is very snowy). It will save you both toll and fuel costs, and for the most part it's an easy, attractive and well engineered road.

From the airport towards Les Arcs, you'd need to head into Geneva, then back out towards St Julien en Genevois to join the French motorway which runs south to Annecy. If you look on viamichelin.com you can look for directions taking the "avoid vignettes (Switzerland) option.

It's a lot more straightforward to just stick on the motorway, though, especially if you don't have a competent navigator and a sensible map - and the extra cost of the vignette is really not a big deal in the context of a ski holiday!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All is explained here:

http://www.gva.ch/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Pam W for answers to both my recent questions Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The none motorway route via St Julien works ok but do not follow airports signs when in CH until past Lancy or you will be directed onto motorway. As you follow airport arrivals sign keep left and go down the ramp as arrivals are on lower level. Parking is in CHF but machine takes euro notes and exchanges for CHF.

And take a slow drive past the Lamborghini garage.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

machine takes euro notes and exchanges for CHF.

it happily takes credit cards too

deejaybee, driving TO the airport, if you want to spend maximum time on the French motorways, you'll take the St Julien route. But the route I mentioned above, across the Jura, doesn't involve St Julien.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pam W, I will take your route across the Jura so the plan is drive from Calais to Dole tomorrow, then Dole to the airport on Sat morning which I think will be about 2 hours 45 mins and hopefully will take me to the French side ! Many thanks once again Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

hopefully will take me to the French side !

if your daughter is flying in on an international flight you'll need to go to the Swiss side.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BASIL So wheres the Lamborghini garage? now you're talking ! Will we pass it going FROM the airport towards St Julien? (as we drive to Les Arcs)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've only passed it driving to the airport (twice) as I've never been able to retrace my steps back and ended up going through the city but you will pass it (on the right) if you head to St Julien via the Perly border crossing. Opposite there is a used car lot full of high end cars too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, She's arriving from London. I thought the passengers could come out either French or Swiss side?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In the arrivals area there is an escalator with a sign directing towards the 'French Secteur' - I couldn't tell you where it *actually* goes though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You come out the Swiss side and then follow the signs to the French Sector. You go up one floor (to departures level) turn right and follow the signs through a few doors and corridors and you are on the French side...

If you walk from the French side to the Swiss side (which you can do if you wanted to meet her at arrivals Swiss side) you end up walking past the baggage carousels and come out the same way as passengers.

Both ways are clearly signed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
deejaybee, I'd say it would be easier to do ALL your airport transactions on the international (Swiss) side. As far as road signs are concerned, that's much the easiest and it avoids confusion. But as long as you can talk to each other on your phones, you'll sort it out.

Have a good trip. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
deejaybee, if you do indeed follow the Jura route and you are a little early you can stop as you go over the Col de la Faucille and have a hour or two's skiing there. It's a local resort, not really big enough to call a resort really, but a bit of fun.
snow report
jamesgurney, I have very fond memories of skiing at La Faucille, its where we first put our children on skis! According to the boys back then it was where you got the best crepes in the world and after several visits over a couple of years we were given the 'secret' recipe but they never tasted as good back home Sad

I always loved the drive over the Jura seemed so much more peaceful and 'holiday like' than taking the autoroute round!
snow conditions
pam w,
Hi Pam w, thanks for the advice. We took the drive through the Jura and successfully arrived at Geneva airport French side. Very relaxed journey and managed to avoid the Swiss roads. Cheers!
ski holidays
deejaybee, glad it went well. thanks for the feedback - it's frustrating when you never hear! snowHead
snow report
pam w,
I'll always reply Pam because I'm always vey grateful for expert advice. This 5 week trip we're on was developed by advice received on this forum. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy