Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skis to rent for my parents?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It would be the first time my father's on carving skis...he's been skiing for a long time (most recently on some 180cm Fischer skinny skis). He's an intermediate skier - covered a lot of miles but doesn't go for tough stuff. It would be great to get him skis that would help in the transition from old school to carving.

My mother is a low intermediate, happy cruising blues and at best reds. She's been on some very early carving skis, a bit of sidecut but not as much as today's models.

Suggestions welcome - model, length (I guess height minus 10/15cm), etc.. Also, should I get from the ski shop Intermediate or Advanced Equipment? (I'm thinking Advanced may be maintained better, it should be fine for my father, but will it be too hard for my mother?)

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about B1w's for Mum and B1 or B2's for Dad, both at nose height?

Only because I'll bet all hire shops carry them and they can all be skiied fairly well with modern or older techniques. Or so I hear.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just warn them not to try so hard and they'll be fine - I very definately remember my first outing on carvers (after years on straights then a big break) and once you get the hang of not needing to inititate turns much it's plain sailing...

I still ski very old style (weight on one leg, legs fairly close together, HUP unweight to initiate etc) and the ony carvers that have ever given me issues were some Salomon crossmax - which I hated. Rossignol and atomics have always been fine (beta pul 9.18/C9, rossignol t power and whatever their predeccessors were) which is usually what I end up on after my mini rant to the tech about the crossmax Happy

Personally I wouldn't worry too much - rental shops carry gear because it is good for run of the mill holiday skiing, which sounds like your parents level, I'm sure they'll be plenty of models that suit. I always take intermediate skis and maintainence has never been particularly poor. Usually only 1 season old.

aj xx
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about a lesson for them both so they can think a little about what they should be doing to benefit from going to shorter or manoeuvrable skis?

If you're going to be in the shop with them at the time of renting just make sure they don't end up on anything with too much sidecut (Metrons etc) as if they're still skiing like frenchies they'll have a nightmare on them.

Whenever I've hired skis (not that often) I'm really not that bothered by models - I go in the easiest shop (or cheapest Wink) and just get on with it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy