Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria December 2014 - Snowsure & sizeable ski area

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having not been to Austria for many years (~15 mabe) we are thinking about returning, especially as my wife likes it. However we used to go in hal;f-term and this time it would be for the Christmas week.

I want to get something as snow-sure as Austria can offer and also some decent skiing as we can clock up the miles quite quickly

I'm assuming St. Anton / Lech would fit the bill.

What alternatives would you suggest ?

My wife previously went to Obergurgl ande didn't like it much. I think the skiing was a bit limited and she found it very bleak

And as a rider to the snow-sure requirement, I don't just mean a resort with a glacier attached as we'd want the snow-sure aree to be of a decent size if possible

Thanks in anticipation
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Solden? Not been, but as the do pre season skiing...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dsoutar, Christmas is a bit early for guaranteed good snow cover across a big area which isn't high/bleak/glacierish. Would be much the same if you were looking in France. Got to be some compromise somewhere! Might be best to book late, when you can see how the snow is going. Christmas was pretty thin this season, across big swathes of the Alps with much reliance on artificial snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ischgl, high, nice village, good accomodation, 238 kms of piste,
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yup the St Anton/Lech area would tick the box, not as bleak as Obergurgl ... Sölden and Kaprun would be worth a look as well, but I have no experience of either personally.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Solden isn't bleak like Obergurgl but isn't the prettiest of resorts. It has it s glaciers but plenty of other skiing besides. Kaprun is a small place, not entirely dependant on its glacier but not a great deal else compared to some places.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
have skied Sölden and Lech in December (actually Sölden was probably even November?).

Since it's Christmas week, Id have thought most places would be pretty much fully open. St.Anton/Lech, Ischgl, ought to all be extensive. Mayrhofen perhaps? (glacier a bus ride away if need be).

Of course anything can happen snow-wise.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dsoutar, I've skied the Ski amadé region every Christmas for as long as I can remember (probably more than 20+ years now), never had a problem. Even this year the pistes were all open even down to valley level. OK the off-piste was non-existent most of the time, but to be honest that is not the be all and end of things. I now base myself in Altenmarkt and travel by car to wherever I fancy skiing. Lots of variety to suit all tastes and abilities and plenty of tree lined slopes for when it clags in. It is the cold temperatures you need these days which allows resorts to maintain the slopes using artificial snow, you get these the further east you go in the earlier part of the season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ischgl
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Apart from Winter 2006/2007 Kitzbuhel is usually one of the first non glacier resorts to be open. By the middle of December most of the slopes are generally all open. And you certainly would have as wide a choice of accommodation as anywhere. Also consider staying in Kirchberg (much cheaper ) but you are still skiing the same area.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy