Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping Ski Instructors/Guides

Poster: A snowHead
Possibly controversial thread- but just wondering how people feel about tipping ski instructors/guides?

Personally there is no way I could walk away from a good instructor/guide without tipping them gratefully(ESP if they have taken good care of my child on a busy mountain), but it seems it's not exactly the norm!

Any insights?!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good question and it varies resort to resort and country to country. In the US, for example, it is virtually mandatory, as with all service related input.

In Europe:

- group lessons: not expected and odd unless something delivered whcih is out of the ordinary
- private tuition: yes, tip expected in my experience
- IFGMA guides: not usually expected but appreciated if it is a great day

Now, as to how much: too hard to standardise.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tip the good guy as you would in the restaurant. They will love you. They don t get paid much.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely the norm to tip in North America. As above, it's a very low paid job.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chrisJersey, I have always tipped as part of a group- ten or twenty each. But then it's usually been with a group of irish- there can be looks of horror from other nationalities- hence the question, lol!

I also see how few parents tip the kids instructors at the end of the week- that's the one I really don't understand- THANK YOU for protecting and teaching my child, now go and buy yourself a few beers to unwind, you totally deserve it! wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Humpfknick, maybe you are just not seeing the parents do it - I have done it but don't make a song and dance about it wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haha no I know igLou, and I agree- discretion is very important when it comes to tipping!! But the OH is also an instructor & guide, so I hear first-hand from him (depending on what he declares, lol!) He tends to take the higher ability skiers and honestly doesn't expect tips (although they're a great bonus!), but the instructors who look after the kids are paid the least and are known to get the least tips. I would have thought it would be the opposite way around Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Humpfknick, yeah I guess I would expect the kids' instructors to get more regular tips. We occasionally have a lesson with a guy we rate very highly but the lessons are very expensive and I do think twice because of that, have to admit Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well that's a very realistic factor too igLou! It's a pity they don't get more of a cut of the takings Very Happy I have always found kids instructors in Austria to be AMAZING, so friendly, and always above and beyond what I've expected. How they maintain that energy and focus all day is beyond me wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never thought about it. Now I feel tight. Last instructors in La Ros were great (both for adults and my daughter)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ah no need to feel tight Mike-H, I think there also tends to be confusion as to whether it's the 'done thing' or not- a genuine thank you is also much appreciated! Of course there are also the people who still can't even manage that much..!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Humpfknick wrote:
chrisJerseyI also see how few parents tip the kids instructors at the end of the week- that's the one I really don't understand- THANK YOU for protecting and teaching my child, now go and buy yourself a few beers to unwind, you totally deserve it! wink

I make a point of doing it as obviously as I can to let the other tight bugs see me doing it. Anyone that has my kids for a week deserves a tip Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
musher wrote:
Humpfknick wrote:
chrisJerseyI also see how few parents tip the kids instructors at the end of the week- that's the one I really don't understand- THANK YOU for protecting and teaching my child, now go and buy yourself a few beers to unwind, you totally deserve it! wink

I make a point of doing it as obviously as I can to let the other tight bugs see me doing it. Anyone that has my kids for a week deserves a tip Toofy Grin

Haha!! My sentiments exactly wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Humpfknick wrote:
musher wrote:
Humpfknick wrote:

you know mushers kids Puzzled Razz
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No, but I fell similarly about anyone who takes mine for a week (and gives him back in one piece!), lol.

It's the whole dynamic of a group of kids, playing, fighting, falling, crying, bleeding, snotting, and all those things, multiplied by ten or so kids and not losing any... Those guys deserve a feckin medal wink
latest report
Wasn't there a huge thread on here a year or so back on this
snow conditions
Maybe, but I wasn't here a year ago Happy

And... it was a year ago wink
snow conditions
I should be working, but...

Being from NZ, where tipping is not usual at all, or at least it wasn't when I lived there, I always find the whole thing a bit, well, awkward. We had this very discussion last week at the chalet in 3V, where five of us had an all-day lesson with Magic (I think their 6 hour off-peak deal is a bargain, BTW). We didn't think it was necessary to tip the instructor and he certainly didn't seem to expect it. We do tip the chalet staff - they get paid peanuts and beer is just so expensive! But there was a definite split when it came to tipping the transfer driver. My view is you wouldn't tip a bus or train driver and besides, I'm not keen on tipping taxi drivers either. I reckon the chalet drivers deserve a separate amount, as I think they're often left out and as for people looking after children - no question!!

Oh well, back to the spreadsheet, dreaming of snow...
ski holidays
I have always tipped my son's instructors. And fairly generously too I think. I am always very grateful that he has had a great time, made progress and been looked after. It's usually very gratefully received and not at all expected. I've only once seen other parents tip at the end of a group week but maybe as igLou says they are being discreet, I'd like to think so but I'm not so sure. Certainly even in the group of families we have holidayed with, we are in the minority.

stevew yes many past threads on this wink (like with everything else on SHs Laughing )
snow report
I looked up the previous thread- it's from Sept 2012 & not half as interesting as this one, lol! wink

Yes sarah I think parents who tip are definitely in the minority. An unfortunate truth I guess...
latest report
eddiethebus wrote:
Humpfknick wrote:
musher wrote:
Humpfknick wrote:

you know mushers kids Puzzled Razz

Eddie, you will have heard them if you haven't seen them wink
latest report
Food / beer is my usual policy.
snow conditions
I tip my kids instructors (group lessons). Not always cash though. This year I got Izzies instructor a selection of very nice pastries - he looked so chuffed and couldnt stop saying thank you (they were good pastries though Embarassed ). I also got some for the guy in the ski rental shop who fixed MY ski for me - free of charge.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, aww that's sweet! Perhaps I chould have changed the title to 'gestures of gratitude', rather than 'tipping', ALTHOUGH that could be misinterpreted, lol!! I think the gesture of appreciation is the main thing, it's a much more complex process than being served a meal or driven in a taxi wink
snow conditions
I never find any of them asleep while standing up!
ski holidays
yes please Little Angel
snow report
I dunno Mosha Marc, I reckon this one may have mastered the art, lol!! Definitely asleep behind the sunglasses wink

snow report
Humpfknick, nice one.

I think he's dreaming of sheep wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
View from the other side; Personally I never expect, but very welcome if given.
snow report
Humpfknick, we have always tipped our daughter's instructors.
snow report
I echo scooby_simon, I don't ever expect a tip, but I'm not going to say no! After working on 3 continents I have to say not getting tipped is by far the norm in my experience.
ski holidays
Humpfknick, Having read this thread I think I will tip the instructor next time. My daughter can now ski easy blues after 1 week of lessons. She now loves skiing so I can ski with peace of mind. Thanks for highlighting this.

This raises the question in my mind about tipping chalet hosts (which I normally do) but I will do a forum search first before the forum police get shirty Smile
snow conditions
WOW now i feel guilty, we've always tipped our instructor but not once in 4 holidays tipped my sons instructor, it never crossed my mind!! This is no excuse, just thoughtlessness on my part.

I wil be putting it right this time, I might give them 5 years worth to restore the karma balance
snow report
You know, I don't think I've ever tipped ski instructors. If I ski all day with a guide then I'd pay for lunch but again wouldn't tip more than perhaps rounding up.
I always tip chalet staff, waiters etc.

I think the difference in my mind has been that I don't tip professionals - teachers, doctors, accountants, lawyers, etc - and I regard ski instructors and UIAGM guides as professionals. But I'll think on that again.

THe last few years our 2 kids have shared 2 hour private lessons for 5 or 6 days each week. That costs a chunk of money and seems a pretty decent hourly rate to me. It's also complicated by the fact that their instructor owns the small ski school.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
You know, I don't think I've ever tipped ski instructors. If I ski all day with a guide then I'd pay for lunch but again wouldn't tip more than perhaps rounding up.
I always tip chalet staff, waiters etc.

I think the difference in my mind has been that I don't tip professionals - teachers, doctors, accountants, lawyers, etc - and I regard ski instructors and UIAGM guides as professionals. But I'll think on that again.

THe last few years our 2 kids have shared 2 hour private lessons for 5 or 6 days each week. That costs a chunk of money and seems a pretty decent hourly rate to me. It's also complicated by the fact that their instructor owns the small ski school.

But how much of that goes to the instructor...? Using my own example I know that if I teach a group lesson of 5 people for a day then of the total amount paid by them I get about 1/8th.

I'm not saying that's necessarily bad or that I'm underpaid, but it's worth remembering that it doesn't go 100% from your wallet to the instructor's.
snow conditions
We normally ski as a group of 6 with a guide for 6 days. We pay for his lunch, and tip at the end of the week - the amount depending a bit on how good he was. Our normal guides who we have taken repeatedly it is normally about €30 each. One guide we have taken to other resorts than where he lives, and in that case we have to pay his hotel and lift pass (though most resorts give the latter cheap to guides), Since he lives in the Haute Maurienne this works out about the same in Verbier as hiring a Verbier guide! (I should mention he guided 2 seasons in Verbier).

thedrewski 1/8th! Wow, that's low. Sad I wonder how much of the guide fee goes to the guides in Piste to Powder?
snow conditions
thedrewski,

Quote:
It's also complicated by the fact that their instructor owns the small ski school.

I would assume he pays himself well enough.
ski holidays
I must confess, I've never thought of tipping a ski instructor. I'll definitely consider it from now on.

My general views on tipping are as follows:
1. I'm a sheep and I'll conform with the social norm. This means tipping in taxis and restaurants.
2. The wealth/pay of the person providing the service is almost irrelevant to me. If a restaurant chooses to pay its employees poorly it is not my role to compensate the employee. The more that people tip restaurant staff, the less restaurants are likely to pay them properly in the first place. This seems a daft system to me (but that's what we're stuck with)
3. In most cases I see tipping as a reward for service above and beyond what I should have a right to expect anyway.
4. I am less inclined to tip self-employed people than employed. This may seem illogical bearing in mind point #2
5. Tipping is also dependent upon the change I have available. If i want to give person X a £5 tip, but only have a £20 note on me
latest report
In Europe, it is never expected to tip. Anywhere. The cost of service is incorporated already into the price. Unlike USA. You know the price of everything and I like that. Why try to complicate it? Ski holidays are expensive enough. The instructors and guides never expect it (and I would be less respectful of one that did)
snow conditions
I would definately expect to tip an instructor who had had my kids all week.

But I think tips should be an appreciation of good service and an acknowledgement that the instructors are paid peanuts.

Last year My kids were in 2 separate classes- one got a generous tip as she'd been brilliant and gone above and beyond. The other got nothing as she was grumpy and rude and did the bare minimum.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy