Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chill blaines

Poster: A snowHead
I have always suffered a little from poor blood circulation in cold weather. (who doesn't!)

Chill blaines on one or two of my right toes are now a common occurrence in winter.

I have been researching into cause and treatment for this. Obviously, the cause is cold, and so keeping feet warm and getting blood circulating there is the main method of prevention.

I also found that in the winter I tend to take baths which are too hot, when the floor is cold. Consequently, my feet are cold before I put them in a hot bath. This tends to make chill blaines flare up.

I therefore use warm rather than hot baths, and try to rub my toes warm before getting in a bath.

I also apply foot massage, and apply after sun lotion on my toes. (chill blaines are a skin disorder similar to sun burn caused by heat on badly blood fed areas)

Does anyone else have any suggested cures/preventions for chill blaines? I am trying them now, so please help.

The internet has suggested

1. warm feet in warm water 4 times a day
2. do not drink alcohol before going out in snow
3. eat a healthy diet
4. get plenty of exercise
5. keep feet, hands, nose and ears warm
6. a suggestion that vitamin D and calcium supplements can help

I live in a house which is not fully centrally heated, and floors are cold. I now wear slippers and socks regularly. The floors are always cold in winter, as are my feet.

Help!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3 and 4 are the best ones to follow, 6 will just result in vitamin rich toilet flushes and a lower bank balance.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Drink Cayenne Pepper

http://www.livinghealthy360.com/index.php/health-benefits-of-cayenne-pepper-tea-21684/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have found a solution which works for my minor irritation. A small piece of Elastoplast over the affected toes seems to be enough to improve warmth in that area, or increase blood circulation, or stop rubbing. (maybe it is rubbing rather than chill blaines)

I do the other things anyway (exercise and eat a balanced diet).

It does not occur in the summer and spring months, so I can take the plaster off then.

Blush
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bigtipper, Pernivit (a Vitamin K derivative along with Niacin , a b vitamin ) used to be sold for chilblains but it is now obsolete. I've never heard of using Vitamin D, or using aftersun lotion on them. Balmosa cream is good, but TBH nothing is proven to work apart from possibly nifedipine if they are particularly severe. If you smoke, stop, as it will improve your circulation.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A couple more comments here,

1. The tape I used has zinc oxide impregnated in it (it was not Elastoplast, I used that as a euphemism for tape). This may help with skin healing
2. My walking boots seem to have a leak at the toes, which make it worse in cold weather (I have noticed wet socks at the toes when I get home from a walk)

Anyway, all toes have healed up nicely since mid Feb. Maybe it is the improved warmer weather?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I used to get them a lot as a child but then in cold weather I used to lie on my front on the floor reading with my feet pointed at, and very close to, the fire!

I still get very cold feet, sleep in bed socks all year round, with a hot water bottle added in winter. My big toe on one foot is now permanently cold. However I rarely get chilblains, I think because I warm up my cold feet slowly and rub my calves and lower legs vigorously whilst doing so. I also find running up and down on the spot helps to warm them up.

I often do the hot/cold foot bath thing and that seems to help with the circulation too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use something called Balmosa cream.... It's fabulous. The other treatment is not quite so pleasant.... Ready for it? Uric acid .... I kid you not. If stuck out and about with the most horrendous itchy burning chill blain.... Wee on it!
Honestly Smile Good luck with that of they're on your toes!
In all seriousness it works, albeit an old wives tale!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alyefs, Calmurid Cream might be more pleasant than putting your feet in a bucket of wee. Shocked Contains 10% Urea and 5% Lactic Acid. I use it on the advise of my doctor for hard skin on my feet snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Underfloor heating or carpets?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anything is worth a try. Fortunately when we were away at half term, I worked much harder than I do at CF. Presumably due to less hanging around waiting and having a brutal instructor.
The balmosa is good. The wee option is an emergency cure when out and about. I had to try it years back.... It did work!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If your problem is with blood flow i hear there's a little blue pill that can help. There may be a little stiffness as a side-effect though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, I have chill blanes again. This time I know the cause, running in icy cold weather and getting my feet wet in puddles (3x a week). Then I have a bath afterwards. Clearly the solution is to stop doing that, which I am doing now while the weather is so cold.

I have tried Boots Chilblain cream, which is essentially eucalyptus oil and benzyl alcohol. Not much success there. Sudacrem seems to reduce the itchiness when it has occurred. I have today applied deep heat to my toes, and this seems to be better than the boots solution (it warms my toes up).

Keeping my feet warm, and my whole body warm, while I recover is important. I will look out for foods rich in vitamin K (like parsley or kale).

I know why I get it, but I seem to forget to warm my toes up properly before getting into a bath (or reduce the heat of the bath).

I have read that swinging your legs 30-50 times will get the blood into the feet to warm up the toes. Maybe I will try that one, before getting in the bath (or forget running in cold weather).

Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

I think I will wait a few more days before I ski on these. They look worse than they are, they are recovering well. I have got some deep heat spray now, which I apply a few times a day. It works better than the cream. (the white cream on them at the moment is sudacrem)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I used to suffer dreadfully from chillblanes as a child - usually caused by feet too close to fire/on very hot water bottle - but I remember the pain! Have not had a bout since living in centrally heated houses, wearing good socks, waterproof footwear, and warming up slowly when cold (no jumping into hot baths!), but I live in fear of ever getting it again. Crying or Very sad
snow report
@Bigtipper, ...look very painful. I had a bad period of this last year, after wearing some shoes which were too tight, in snow.

1 don't bath, shower
2 get them under control in the manner you describe and have been recommended
3 after that, never wear anything which restricts circulation in your feet
4 in cold weather keep your core really warm - chest in particular - and this increases blood flow to extremities

This works fro me after my bad episode. It's the itching which drove me mad....
snow report
@valais2, they are fine now and were only ever slightly itchy. The skin has mostly peeled away to leave fresh healthy skin now. (like when you have sunburn) In my case, chill blains only occur when I have a bath from a cold floor and feet not warmed up properly. That is common in the house I live in, but in centrally heated carpeted homes I have never had this problem.

I have been running regularly through ice and snow and wet puddles, and followed by a warm/hot bath. On one or several of these occassions I did not warm my feet up slowly before getting in the bath, or the bath was too hot.

It does not happen when skiing, my feet are generally very warm in ski boots. Too well insulated. Also a car journey afterwards is like a low heat sauna, in which every bone of my body heats up after skiing.
snow report
When I was in my youth I used to get chilblains, I took some pills from the chemist that opened up the capillaries which I guess helped the blood flow and prevent them occurring. I can't tell you what they contained as it's 30 years+ ago. Maybe some internet searching might reveal what they were and whether they are still available.

EDIT: Nicotinic acid rings a bell....
snow report
It’s not been mentioned yet but Make sure you are well hydrated!
snow conditions
@king key, amlodipine?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amlodipine
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy