Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee problems skiing.. (Sinding Johansson Larsen Syndrome)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Anyone have any ideas to stop pain in the knee? I have sinding Johansson Larsen syndrome which is a knee problem that affects athletic teens. It gives me pain at the bottom of the knee cap (patella tendon) and I have been suffering from it for around 20-25 months. I was given a brace for a while to immobilise it and then went through a long physio therapy treatment. Last weekend I went to the dry ski slope twice and it was giving me a bit of pain. (It should be fine by now, I played half a term of rugby). Does anyone have any ideas other than the RICE method or things like voltarol?
Here is the link to it if anyone is interested: http://www.physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/sinding-larsen-johansson-disease

Any help much appreciated

Thanks, Euan[/i]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sinding johanssen larsen syndrome will eventually burn out as you grow.
Quads stretch. Pain relief and some find strap helpful, otherwise time I'm afraid .

Jonathan Bell
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok thanks, do you know anything about kt tape? My physio applied some on my knee a while ago which he said I should try to keep on until it starts to peel off. I was looking at another knee pain post on here and someone said that they had jumpers knee which I believe is he same as sinding Johansson Larsen syndrome but it can affect people at any time whereas sjl only affects teens. I found a page on applying kt take to people who suffer sjl here: http://www.kttape.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5415

The only problem I have is, would I be able to apply it myself without messing up my knee?

Regards

Euan
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
EuanFraser,

Jumpers knee is a term used to describe patella tendinopathy , that is not the same as SJL syndrome and a very different treatment.

Tape can help but make sure you are using good quality tape and that you have been shown how to apply it.

K tape is well marketed at the moment but there are others that serve very well.

Jonathan Bell
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would a support be a better option than tape? My dad seems to think so.. If so what kind of support would i need? (find one if you can) and which would be the most effective at providing support and pain relief?Jonathan Bell,
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
EuanFraser,

Not convinced by a support.

Some conditions around knee benefit from a strap around the patella tendon but not sure i have ever seen it tried for t
SJL.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok, so do you think it's a better option going for tape? Also do you know if the tape is effective?

Thanks Euan
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
EuanFraser, I think that when Jonathan Bell said "Tape can help but make sure you are using good quality tape and that you have been shown how to apply it. " and "Not convinced by a support. " he is saying tape is the better option and it's worth a go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok, I think i will give the tape a go. I have found a page showing how to apply it, http://www.kttape.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5415

Do you think that this is suitable?

Regards,

Euan
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
EuanFraser, when Jonathan Bell, said "K tape is well marketed at the moment but there are others that serve very well. " I would say that it is.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, that's not what i was saying. I was saying that is the way the knee is strapped in the pictures suitable and correct and is it applied in the right way, i.e. will i be able to apply it correctly.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I leave you to draw your own conclusions on the effectiveness of KT tape. My opinion is that it works on the placebo effect more than anything else. (emphasis is my own)

From "PEDro systematic review update : Kinesio taping for sports injuries Steven J Kamper, Nicholas Henschke"
http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/47/17/1128.extract

"Kinesio tape is a proprietary product that purports to offer a range of benefits in the treatment and prevention of various musculoskeletal conditions. Kinesio taping involves the application of elastic adhesive tape to areas of pain or dysfunction. Theorised mechanisms of action are diverse, including reduction of pain through stimulation of sensory afferents and increased range of motion (ROM) due to enhanced local circulation. Despite a recent increase in public profile due to use of kinesio taping by athletes at major sporting events, the clinical benefits of the intervention remain unclear."

"Results
Ten controlled studies were included in the review, with sample sizes ranging from 14 to 65. Only two randomised studies blinded participants as well as assessors. Three of the ten studies included patients with a musculoskeletal condition, two of which were sports-related. Seven studies that recruited healthy individuals were included on the basis that kinesio taping may have a preventative action, however none of these studies provided a direct measure of injury prevention.

Kinesio taping was compared with sham treatment for pain relief in one study (n=41), no clinically beneficial results were found. There were inconsistent results for ROM outcomes, with small clinically beneficial results seen in two studies, but trivial results in two other studies. In one study of 21 healthy athletes, there was a likely beneficial intervention effect for proprioception regarding grip force sense error, but no positive impact on ankle proprioception.

While intervention appeared to be beneficial for a number of outcomes relating to strength, there were also numerous trivial findings and the majority of results were non-significant. These studies were also conducted mostly in healthy populations. Reported effects on muscle activity included a mix of substantial, trivial, unclear and non-significant findings.

All the results and subsequent conclusions of the review are based only on comparisons that showed a significant difference between treatment and comparison groups in the included studies."

"Clinical implications
Kinesio taping does not appear to have a beneficial effect on pain when compared with sham treatment. Based mostly on studies of healthy populations, there are inconsistent results for other outcome measures such as ROM, strength, muscle activity and proprioception. ."
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The same "placebo" conclusion seems to apply to most knee supports too. But in skiing, as in other circumstances, placebo might be quite important - I know from my own experience that if I am confident that my knee is OK I ski much better, and am therefore much less likely to hurt it, than when I am worried and therefore tentative. It doesn't make me do gnarly stuff (I don't do gnarly) but it does get me on top of my skis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks a lot, even if on paper it isn't meant to be the most effective thing, at least i will feel more confident and will be less nervous and less likely to hurt myself.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
EuanFraser, Ah, sorry misunderstood your post. hope it works for you
latest report
Tape can make a massive difference. After my previous knee op I was getting pain from doing squats. The Physio looked st my knee and how my muscles were firing, applied some tape and asked me to squat again. I was able to squat pain free. She then explained that one of muscles which draw the knee cap up out the way when you squat was firing slightly slower than it should which caused the knee cap to fowl slightly causing the pain. The tape she applied held the knee cap where it needed to move to when you squat. It was no placebo effect and I honestly didnt expect it to make any difference.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
Tape can make a massive difference. After my previous knee op I was getting pain from doing squats. The Physio looked st my knee and how my muscles were firing, applied some tape and asked me to squat again. I was able to squat pain free. She then explained that one of muscles which draw the knee cap up out the way when you squat was firing slightly slower than it should which caused the knee cap to fowl slightly causing the pain. The tape she applied held the knee cap where it needed to move to when you squat. It was no placebo effect and I honestly didnt expect it to make any difference.

The effect in your case is due to enhanced proprioception, which helps the brain control the muscles more effectively thus causing better loading of the patella.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy