Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Firstly I would like to introduce myself because I'm new here and secondly I would like to talk about something that has been troubling me for some time. Am I the only one that looks like a complete idiot in goggles? I can't seem to find a pair that look even remotely normal or that aren't far too large for my head. Is it just me or is it because all goggles are made to be worn with helmets? Anyone know of a decent pair of goggles that look good without a helmet?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mobo, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I guess goggles are more, rather than less likely to be designed for use with helmets - you may just need to shop around for something that is better suited for your head size/shape. If on the smaller size, children's goggles may be the answer (it certainly works for some).

I have a pair of these

which work exceptionally well. They also have interchangeable lenses. Gogs/sunnies all in one, if you don't mind the odd moment of phaf.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mobo, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy

Brave, mentioning helmets in your first post wink

You can also get goggles for smaller faces if you are female? Although they're not necessarily girly.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a bloke and I actually have quite a large head but they all just look massive on me.

Those adidas glasses look excellent, any chance you have a link for them?

Thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mobo, I bought mine from Snow & Rock last season. Not the cheapest option, but they work well either without a helmet or underneath one.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cacciatore, Funnily enough, I was looking at these yesterday. Bloke in the shop said they were cycling glasses.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AsterixTG, really? They were in with the skiing related stuff at S&R Hemel when I elected to buy them - would one have/need interchangeable lenses (normal and flat light) for cycling? Either way, they work extremely well - the foam padding completely prevents any airflow around the eyes, although when wearing under a helmet when you get a bit warm, they can fog a bit on the chairlift. Soon clears though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cacciatore, Yeah - it wasn't in a ski shop - just in the glasses section in a generic sports shop. Maybe the guy was talking ballcocks.

I liked the look of them and need a new pair.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mobo wrote:
Am I the only one that looks like a complete idiot in goggles?

Are you a steampunk by any chance?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cacciatore, Yep, interchangeable lenses are as useful for cycling as for skiing, more so in a way in that one of the jobs they do is keep dust/insects/rubbish out of your eyes so a set of clear lenses is somewhat essential for night-time riding!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davkt, sure, though why they don't have clear lenses is questionable in that case. I did once own a pair of 'sports' sunnies with 3 lense options that included clear....they were shite for skiing at any speed though Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just bought a pair of sports glasses from Aldi, which I could not resist at £5! I really bought them because one of the 3 interchangeable lenses was clear and for the night skiing some of our party did this year they would have been ideal. The other two lenses are dark grey (for sun on the slopes) and yellow, for which I have yet to work out what the symbols mean but maybe flat light? Cacciatore, I always prefer glasses to goggles but then I don`t ski very fast nor in poor weather if I can avoid it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep yellow is a flat light lens, helps improve contrast.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Decathlon do a pair of glasses with interchangable lenses, I bought a pair last year. I've tried all sorts of goggles and couldn't find any that were comfortable. I try and find a link later.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/manaslu-pack-id_8159943.html
ski holidays
I can recommend the Adidas glasses cacciatore suggested. I use them for skiing, cycling and driving. I have prescription clip ins for them, as I wear contacts half the time, but sometimes on an early morning drive to work I can't be bothered with them, so the ability to add and remove the prescription is excellent. The strap and the arms are interchangeable and clip in quickly. Came with 2 sets of lenses, a cat3 pair and an orange/yellow pair good for low light. They also have a thin foam layer which clips in and out. I'll use it with the goggle strap and remove it if I'm wearing them as normal sunnies. An excellent investment...

I wear goggles with my helmet, bug if it's a lovely sunny day, I'll wear the glasses with a hat.
latest report
lampygirl, I might have to have another look at them - thanks for the info.
snow report
Personally I don't think goggles can look too big for your head; certainly not if you're wearing a helmet.

But then I do have Electric EG2s which are rather on the large side (though they do look extremely sexual, in my honest unbiased opinion).
ski holidays
Goggles look great, especially with an OTT reflective lens. Go big and silly.
latest report
Decathlon have made a right horlicks of the lense classifications at the moment, it is all base over apex, at least in my local store this Saturday past. Sad
snow report
My Smith I/OS' are pretty good without a helmet.
ski holidays
I've absolutely no idea if these are any good, but a couple of friends use them:

2013-rayzor-professional-uv400-black-2-in-1-ski-snowboard-sunglasses-goggles-with-an-anti-fog-treated-blue-iridium-mirrored-anti-glare-clarity-lens-and-a-detachable-elasticated-headband

Me: I find that I can't see what I look like with goggles on as there aren't any mirrors on the piste, so it doesn't matter what size/shape/colour my goggles are - as long as they give good contrast and *never* fog, I'm happy.
snow report
Nunfa1 wrote:
Decathlon do a pair of glasses with interchangable lenses, I bought a pair last year. I've tried all sorts of goggles and couldn't find any that were comfortable. I try and find a link later.

as do both Aldi and Lidl, but obviously they are subject to availability.
latest report
Harry Flashman wrote:
Goggles look great, especially with an OTT reflective lens. Go big and silly.

dragon APX for me, they look awesome Cool
snow report
I have a massive melon head, with just a helmet on I almost wet myself when looking in the mirror.

I usually unless going off piste ski helmet-less with goggles, in the spring if it's warm I sometimes wear sun glasses but otherwise find you're prone to get teary eyed if going at any kind of pace due to the cold.

I don't really car what I look like when I'm skiing.
ski holidays
I think you get used to the strange way everyone looks in goggles and helmets.
I happily wore a pair of the Adidas glasses pictured above with clip-in prescription lens for some years, but found they fogged too much if using them with the foam surround. That was largely because one of my eyes waters a lot, so should not be an issue for most people. I now use Smith OTG goggles with an extractor fan - they are REALLY big!
latest report
+1 for the Adidas glasses - Climacool a136 - that several have mentioned. I've used mine for about 6 years and with the optical insert for the last 2. They do fog up sometimes when I stop but it can be avoided if they're just pulled slightly forward and they clear as soon as you start moving. I bought mine in Snow+Rock but I've bought extra lenses and the optical insert from Vision3k - http://www.vision3k.com/adidas-sunglasses/elevation-climacool-a136/elevation-climacool-a136--6063

You will still need goggles though for the bad weather days as they'll get just as wet as normal sunglasses but at least you can swap to yellow or orange lenses in bad light.

They're also not just for skiing, they're pretty good for cycling too.
latest report
Mobo

You need one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cp-Company-goggle-hat-navy-/231145035562

a Goggle Hat !! Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A goggle hat Very Happy
Perfect with a onesie
snow conditions
Just embrace the idiot look! buy an even bigger stupid hat then noone will even notice the goggles.
ski holidays
Uvex do some goggles that might be suitable...

http://www.uvex-sports.de/en/eyewear/products/?pNavi=1&pSub[0]=217

Pete
ski holidays
COmpletely off-topic, but hat's with the 'base over apex' expression I keep seeing on here. Is it because of very technically-minded posters, or does SH correct 'back bottom over tit'? Testing SH censorship... wink
latest report
COmpletely off-topic, but hat's with the 'base over apex' expression I keep seeing on here. Is it because of very technically-minded posters, or does SH correct 'back bottom over tit'? Testing SH censorship... wink
latest report
COmpletely off-topic, but what's with the 'base over apex' expression I keep seeing on here. Is it because of very technically-minded posters, or does SH correct 'back bottom over tit'? Testing SH censorship... wink
snow report
HAHAHAHAH!!! Ahhh, that's why wink
snow report
I'm a great fan of the Adidas ClimaCool (have two pairs) and Evil Eye glasses as I use them for cycling as well as skiing (downhill, touring x-country), and I too most years get a new pair of lens from vision3k.

However it does very much depend on skiing conditions as to whether you wear goggles or glasses.

I was really impressed with the Scott LCG Goggles so much so that I bought some, and have pretty well been using them every day so far this season.

So now the blatant pimp Style Altitude is running a competition to win a pair of these superb goggles, to find out more click here Cool
snow report
I don't think that goggles are designed to wear with helmets, Goggles have been around way before everyone started wearing helmets. However a good pair of ski glasses does me most of the time. Unless of course you are skiing when it is cloudy or foggy then a good pair of googles come into their own. At that stage I don't care how they look. I had to buy a new pair this year because I left my goggles in the apartment, and was wearing my glasses, but at the top of the mountain it was snowing very heavily and was very foggy. I just went into the shop and got a light weight pair with glass that could interchange due to conditions. Best money I ever spent. I only wear them though on cloudy days or in very flat light. I don't wear a helmet so my bobble hat in rasta colours sits nicely on them, and do I care? nope not a jot.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy