Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drills for fore/aft balance

Poster: A snowHead
When it's poor vis, bumpy or busy I tend to go a bit backseat and this makes my quads burn. I've been practicing the normal stuff; getting forwards and doing proper pole plants (I find this tends to stop me being backseat). But was wondering if anyone can recommend any drills that might help?

Thanks!

(In before "get lessons" - can't afford it this trip, will look at it back in scotland.)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bobmcstuff, Ski on one leg, lifting the tail of the other ski. On the "easy leg" to start with (ie the downhill ski on a traverse, the outside ski on turns). Then on the uphill ski on a traverse, which becomes the outside (easy) leg on the turn. And so on. Easier on narrower skis.

We were doing those with easiski in L2A last week.

Same exercises without poles - harder.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
they're good for lateral balance too - just all round really good exercises. If cold, practice a shallow traverse jumping first the front of the skis, then the tails, both together. Knackering.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never tried one but this might work:
http://www.skia.com/

Otherwise, give yourself a score: 9 = furthest forwards you can go, 5 = centred, 1 = furthest backwards. Then for one complete run keep scoring yourself in your head. Aim for 5. Revisit the scoring game a couple of times later in the day and then perhaps once a day for the rest of the week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Isn't it more of a psychological thing in this case?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
meh, yeah for sure - but I figure if I get used to being centered all the time it should help. I.e., if being centered becomes fully subconscious I should stand a better chance in poor conditions.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

When it's poor vis, bumpy or busy I tend to go a bit backseat and this makes my quads burn

same for me - for lots of people, I suspect.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bobmcstuff, Just remind yourself to get up and get forward from time to time and as you'll find control much easier in this case it will become fully subconscious eventually.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The skia thing looks like a good idea too when I get home.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
never summer, yeah I'm doing that already. Just looking to try and get it more ingrained.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bobmcstuff wrote:
... but I figure if I get used to being centered all the time it should help. I.e., if being centered becomes fully subconscious I should stand a better chance in poor conditions.

Nail on the head!

We may be more aware of our faults when the going gets difficult but, often as not, they're still there on easy terrain - you just have to look more carefully. So go back to an easy slope and turn up the gain.

And it's far easier to change something when we're not fighting for survival.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 28-01-14 22:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
altis wrote:
And it's far easier to change something when we're not fighting for survival.

I also find that, figuratively speaking, playing tennis. Up against it in a competition, I'll revert to type to hang in there. Need to lock in the "correct" movements, shot selection, etc in the easy games and/or by way of drills.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bobmcstuff, shorter poles, ice skating, hey it's normal everybody does it. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Javelin turns are good. Lift your inside leg in each turn and swing the front of your ski across the ski on the snow. If you are too far back the tail of the lifted ski will still be on the snow. You can feel this, so you don't need to look down at what your skis are doing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
if you are too far back try skiing backwards then you'll be too far forwards. Toofy Grin
latest report
Flaine skier, I like it!
ski holidays
Most people take in information in a visual way - their secondary way is either auditory (hearing) or by feeling.

Get up early, find an empty easy run and shut your eyes - listen to what your skis are doing, feel what they're doing - ski with a mate so they have their eyes out for you but concentrate on the sound and feel - it's an advanced lesson and I know it sounds a bit "wax on, wax off" but it does really work.

And, yeah, I hate to say it - get lessons with good instructors.
latest report
bobmcstuff,

I have the same issue with poor vis/conditions as you. However I do try to carry out some drills as described here - they certainly help your general skiing. However even when I really improve these drills as soon as conditions turn bad I revert to my cr@p skiing - I'm like a beginner. I had this issue last week, I was in advanced ski class and coped fine. Then when skiing on my own the vis was awful and my skiing fell apart (on a blue run!!). I deliberately found the slopes with poor vis and repeatedly tried to improve - unsuccessfully!

I am at a loss as to what do to overcome this - hopefully some wisdom from others will help.
latest report
Telemark
ski holidays
Skied last saturday in mostly whiteout conditions. So bad it would take a while to realise we weren't actually on the piste anymore and so would stop to look for the piste markers. At times it wasn't possible to visualy work out where the fall line/downhill was.

Keeping turning (short turns) with rhymic pole plants walking down the hill, feeling the snow and a lot of absorption kept me on my skis.
ski holidays
zellmaniac, Several times I have had the misfortune of being in total whiteout conditions with the wind blowing so hard you do not even know if you are moving or not. The best/safest solution IMO is to get off the mountain. Take a lift down if need be, or get into a hut/cafe for shelter. It ain't the time to be practising drills.
latest report
ski wrote:
Telemark

many will ignore your comment ... but I agree
ski holidays
Telemark does look fecking cool to be fair
ski holidays
bobmcstuff, it's not a drill but having spent much of today skiing in very flat light it occurred to me that the two things I concentrate on in those conditions are keeping some tension in my stomach muscles and keeping both hands in the corners of my vision at all times. Those two things together stop me skiing on my heels. Hope it helps.
latest report
I had a go at javelin turns today, it was very noticeable when I was in the "right" position and when I wasn't.

I would have had a go yesterday but was skiing in a banana costume so I was busy trying to make sure I could see and posing for photos (people were very keen on that)...
snow report
... Is telemark hard to pick up? Do they do lessons in it at the Scottish resorts?

<.<

>.>
snow conditions
Isn't telemark going to give alpine skiers too much "outer tip lead". wink
ski holidays
Telemark-like turns on alpine gear.

Shuffle turns (turn while shuffling your feet back and forth).

1000 steps (turns by taking a thousand tiny steps).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobmcstuff, Yup - G3 do lessons on Cairngorm. Tele not 'easy' but involving and fun Laughing
snow report
It sounds as if there might be a fear factor involved or a lack of confidence. Much of more advanced skiing is mental. Keep trying, it will come.

zellmaniac wrote:
bobmcstuff,

I have the same issue with poor vis/conditions as you. However I do try to carry out some drills as described here - they certainly help your general skiing. However even when I really improve these drills as soon as conditions turn bad I revert to my cr@p skiing - I'm like a beginner. I had this issue last week, I was in advanced ski class and coped fine. Then when skiing on my own the vis was awful and my skiing fell apart (on a blue run!!). I deliberately found the slopes with poor vis and repeatedly tried to improve - unsuccessfully!

I am at a loss as to what do to overcome this - hopefully some wisdom from others will help.
ski holidays
@melcooke, OP been trying for 10 years. if OP ain't got it by now I wouldn't bother trying helping
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy