Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passo Tonale - Runs from Presena Glacier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For those that have been to Tonale what are the runs like down from the Presena Glacier? Appreciate any info.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alangibson73, the runs on the glacier are really nice, a red one side and a black the other although in reality they aren't very different. As I recall there's then a red run down to the bottom of the chairlift and a black down to the base which has a couple of steep sections but isn't a major challenge. Just don't go up there in a white-out, you won't see a thing and it can get very cold and windy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like them, the glacier run itself is pretty straight and wide, and worth the T-bar ride to get to it. When there is a view, its amazing, but the weather can close in from time to time. The red going from the bottom of the glacier to the gondola has a couple of flat bits on it, so if you're not careful you may wind up walking (especially as right by one of these there's an interesting war memorial to look at).
The black down to the valley is not scary (skiied it for the first time in a lesson, when it was my first black of any reasonable length, then went back the same afternoon and did it again "on my own").
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skiinghamster, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I agree, it's not a scary black, although when I did it, there was a lot of very chopped up fresh and the vis was poor. Was a little more challenging plus I'd managed to re-do a rotator cuff injury up on the glacier earlier. There was some survival skiing in evidence!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the welcome - I've been lurking, unregistered for a while, but thought it was about time I joined in properly.

I'm going to put my hands up and say that I don't think I'd have enjoyed it in poor vis (which I don't like much anyway), but for me poor vis + injury would have meant a glum gondola trip down.

alangibson73, I hope you have a lovely time when you go. Can I also recommed a trip (or 3) up the Bleis lift? Couple of nice runs from there too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
the t bar up to the top is very steep, so hold on tight, then its a reasonably steep but wide run down, the black run down to tonale is really a dark red, its steepish, but wide, so you can get in your turns without any problem.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Forget the pistes, the off-piste off the top is epic!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the info troops - won't be doing any off piste thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hello,

any recommendations for a good guide in the area (madonna / marileva / tonale)?
Thank you in advance
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have been to Tonale quite a few times with school groups, although not for a few years now. The top of the glacier with a double t-bar is pretty much one very wide piste with an interesting step in the middle on the "red" side if you get a little too much speed up! The off-piste to the side looks tempting and is great but take advice as there are several crevasses which come within a few metres of the edge of the piste depending on conditions. There is a cruising blue from the restaurant at the base of the t-bar back to the cable car station. The chair back to the t-bar used to be pretty slow though.
The paradiso black run down under the cable car is narrow right at the top but soon widens out and is one of the nicest runs in the resort. There is an itinerary run down to the right of the black as you look up.

Red runs off Bleis and Serodina lifts on the other side of the valley are normally pretty good but busy lower down as they meet the nursery slopes. The furthest right on the piste map (Alpino I think?) is great if there is a reasonable amount of snow - big and wide at the top then narrowing as it drops into trees at the bottom. If the snow is good then definitely check out some of the runs in the trees lower down the valley, above Ponte di Legno. Busy at the weekend with locals but normally quiet during the week. There is a long cruisy run along the valley from Tonale down to Ponte.

Maverick - we always worked alongside Castellaccio ski school in Tonale. Not sure about guides but their instructors were very good and we skied off-piste with them a lot. Ski touring is pretty popular there and troops from all over the world come to train with the Italian Special Forces who have a barracks in the valley. There's certainly a lot of excellent touring and off-piste if conditions are right.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Been there March 2015 and had a wonderful time with Lorenzo Valenti as a guide for off-piste (both lift linked and touring).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did the black run down very late in the day and it was a nightmare - unless you like chopped up moguls. Go early...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy