Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

return to skiing after injury

Poster: A snowHead
I hurt my knee last Feb and had surgery in Aug (details here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97804&highlight=).

I'm fairly confident my knee is good enough to ski. I can jog for 20-30 mins, tolerate plyometric exercises, quad strength is better than it ever has been. Hamstrings and balance still need some work, but I've been doing it. I rarely get pain or more than a little swelling, and flex is almost the same as the good leg.

I'm more worried about the mental side of things. I have always been a bit of a nervous skiier, although I've improved a lot in recent years. I'm concerned that I might just get to the top of a slope and my brain just won't let me do it.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share? How was it for you the first time skiing after injury? What helped you overcome the fear of being injured again?

We've got flights booked to Spain in March, which could be a beach, city or ski holiday depending on how things go. So I'm planning to do up to Scotland towards the end of this week and test it out (knee and head).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
janeed, I went on a specific Return to Ski After Injury day at Hemel, organised by Jonathan Bell and deliverd by Warren Smith Academy. I don't know if he is planning any more. I didn't hurt myself skiing so I didn't have a mental block in that regard. I was a little hesitant to start off because of muscle loss but after a few runs I was fine. It sounds as though your knee strength is way ahead of mine, both then and now (I can't run at all, my quads are still significantly weak, I've no VMO to speak of, hamstrings are not too bad, balance and proprioception are shot by the end of a skiing week); the ski physio taped my knee as I have MCL weakness and that gave me confidence. He also recommended a brace, which I have used on 3 trips this season - I couldn't ski without it and I don't really think about it but again it's a confidence builder at the start of the day. If you don't need a brace then better not to use one IMHO

I had always intended to have a private lesson with rob@rar at Hemel but the Return After Injury clinic was perfect timing before a planned trip to Val d'Isere. I then had 3 private lessons wth Steve Angus in Val d'Isere which was brilliant as it was "all about me". I became really confident as a result and am now skiing faster and more aggresively than before.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 28-01-14 13:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share? How was it for you the first time skiing after injury? What helped you overcome the fear of being injured again?

I skied in late march last year after having a fractured pelvis (collision). I felt much more nervous about surrounding skiers than I'd expected - we moved to an empty black slope (an easy one, would be red in many areas) and all that disappeared. I just took it easy.

I think you're quite brave going up to Scotland for your first effort - my current problem with left knee (swelling after a few days challenging skiing), obviously got some arthritis in that joint) is after a major knee wrench in the Cairngorms many years ago, when I didn't take the medical advice to stay off work for 6 weeks with my leg up. rolling eyes

How about having a private lesson, maybe in one of the snowdomes? And stick ice on your knee when you stop.

I am not worried about a similar injury (it mended very rapidly) but I am chronically concerned about a twisting fall, especially in deep snow, which could damage my knee again. I'm not a "nervous skier" but having good lessons, and trying to practice what I'm told, helps me. Guarding against injury means not skiing too far outside your comfort zone but, above all, improving technique. My knee would scarcely have noticed if I'd been skiing well! rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
janeed, surgery in August puts you at about 5 months post op. That's about the time I put ski's on again for the first time with the OK from my physio.

Pam's suggestion of doing something in a 'Dome' first makes sense and I'd be tempted to jump into one of the 1st and then second time lessons so that you can build up very slowly, under supervision. I think I'd be tempted to do that before heading to Scotland which will be much more open environment than a dome.

Where abouts are you ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, and great to hear about the progress you've made.

My physio did send me to details of a brace company, but I haven't contacted them yet.

I did consider the day Jonathan Bell ran (as he's given me and others tons of good advice) but it said you needed to have been a good red run skier before, and I didn't think I was good enough.

I've never liked group lessons (bad Austrain experience of being shouted at each time I fell) but do try and have a few private lessons on each holiday. I'd certainly do this if I skiied in Spain, and might even consider it in Scotland this week.

I actually find the snowdomes a bit stressful - there are often a few people out of control and if it is busy I can find myself picking my way through in a snowplough. I didn't think it would give me confidence for the first try. I'm hoping in Scotland midweek I can find a bit more space to test it out. I just need to get over the initial hurdle on something ridiculously gentle first. However, if that goes well, maybe a few lessons at a quiet time in Chill Factor might be helpful.

I've had more than my fair share of collisions, and this does affect my form as I tend to try and look over my shoulder to see who is coming (at me). But the injury-causing fall was a simple wobble in choppy snow.

I know improving technique would reduce injury risk, and increase my confidence. My mental problem with this is that I really did push myself to ski faster and steeper on my last holiday. I think my skiing improved considerably (finally getting s turns on red runs) but I also got injured. I'm now scared to push
myself. Is it possible to improve by practicing good form on really easy slopes, or do you have to ski tough stuff to get better?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm in Manchester. I appreciate the comments about domes vs mountains, but I have a bit of a mental block with that 1st turn at Chill factor, and am hoping that a really gentle nursery run in Scotland will be better. I'm more than happy to send 2-3 days on the nursery slopes practicing drills or just getting the feel for it again..

AndAnotherThing.., I'm interested by your comments. I've often wondered if it would be worth starting again with some of the basics. I shoud be a lot better than I am considering the amount of skiing I've done, but I like the idea of starting again and getting it right this time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I have a bit of a mental block with that 1st turn at Chill factor

sounds like a good argument for a private lesson at Chill Factor! Have you skied in Scotland before? My experience was a v long time ago but it seemed that if conditions were good, the lift queues were horrendous. But that was weekends - if you can go mid week and choose your day it would be better.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
janeed, Funnily enough I returned to skiing at the Manchester dome. My first runs were on the shallow beginner slope to the left of the main slope (I was sitting in on an Instructor Refresher at the time) so no issues with going directly to the top. The session worked through from beginner straight running through to early parallel over a couple of hours and worked very well as a way of building up and returning after injury. Although I did do some faster runs off the top I was cautious. 5 months post op isn't all that long and there is a lot of healing still to do.

With regard to my original suggestion, the idea of booking in as a complete beginner and working up week by week through the levels could be a reasonable way of managing your return. I would strongly suggest that you involve your physio in the decision.

I have looked at offering a return to skiing session based on this approach in the Midlands area. (I'm a Coach & Instructor).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not a physio, but have taught people who have started skiing again after injury - plus had a few of my own to rehab from.

My advice is to take things in small steps once you've been cleared by your physio to ski again. Start off on easy slopes and gain confidence. If the knee is holding up and you are happy, gradually try skiing a little faster and then steeper runs, making one change at a time so you are confident in your ability before you try to push yourself more and take things up a gear. Don't try to rush your progress. Private instruction could help, but you might want to have a play first to see how you are going? Each person is different and different things work for different people.

If the weather or snow is really poor, or the slopes busy then don't push yourself unduly. Maybe take a break and ski on the days when the conditions around you make you feel the most confident. Good luck!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a dislocated collar bone 2 years ago, (mistimed turn on ice, oops) I had a couple of hemel 1:1 sessions and didn't feel confident, but still went back out to Vallandry the following year, again with 1:1 lessons I had moments when everything was great and then the next I couldn't move out of fear. If it wasn't for how enjoyable I found skiing I would have called it quits. I went back out to my usual haunt in Vallandry pre Christmas for a quiet week on my own, lessons with my usual instructor and it clicked. I am back out there next week with friends and looking forward to making up for lost time. I don't think confidence is something that is either there or its not, it comes in waves, its a case of knowing when to push yourself and when to not beat yourself up. Hope you find your ski legs once again Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hethbum wrote:
I don't think confidence is something that is either there or its not, it comes in waves, its a case of knowing when to push yourself and when to not beat yourself up.

Wise words!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Wise words!

thanks, been there done that, ended up getting the bus back from Arc 2000 back to Vallandry when I refused to ski after a friend had pushed me outside my comfort zone, happy to have found my ski legs once more
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Three seasons ago I crashed in a race and sustained a tibial plateau fracture, severed MCL, torn ACL and displaced meniscus. I had a plate and 7 screws in the bone and was on crutches for 12 weeks. Coming back from that injury was a major challenge both physically and mentally. My experience is that the two factors are strongly interlinked. As I gained strength I became less nervous. So carry on training hard and build up as much fitness as you can. When you start skiing again the key is to remember that we ski for pleasure, not necessarily to perform for others. If you reconnect with the joy of skiing, much will follow without you having to conciously try. But there will come a time when you look down a horribly steep slope and say to yourself "this is it". I think at that point you do have to grit your teeth a bit. The main thing is to be as well prepared as you can. Good fitness, plenty of easy days of skiing, some lessons before hand, right equipment, sharp skis and so on.

Concerning knee injuries and skiing, I was very surprised to find that I needed to change to a stiffer boot. I had expected the opposite but I needed the support of a stiffer boot. So if you find yourself ratcheting up your boot buckles and yanking on your powerstrap....it's time for stiffer boots.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hyperkub, Interesting about the stiffer boot - I had tibial plateau fracture (only 6 screws though), ruptured meniscus and stretched MCL....so not as bad as yours (but still on crutches for 12 weeks). I have found myself ratcheting up the buckles and power strap more than previously. Loathe to buy new boots though as these are only 2nd season and have been refitted to make sure they fit my post-injury stance and are very comfortable. wink

I'm really interested in how you recovered from the severed MCL - was it surgically repaired? I'm really struggling with mine - nothing to be done but try and build up the muscle, which I;ve been doing hard for 7 months now Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
janeed, best of luck, when I ruptured my ACL I was planning on returning to skiing 9 months after the recon (started hockey training again 6 months post op) but then fell pregnant and was told I shouldn't ski while pregnant (which given you get increased levels of relaxin hormone it was doubly not a good idea) so for me I didn't get out on skis until another 2yrs later. I did feel a twinge of nervousness that first run - but by then it felt absolutely rock solid (I had been playing hockey regularly again as well so my legs were nice and strong and I was fit).
ski holidays
No, the surgeon decided at the time of the operation to not do anything to the ligaments but wait and see. Because the bone was in such a mess I think the wisdom was that it was better to wait for that to heal first. The MCL is one of the few ligaments which can heal by itself.

My rehab programme would take a long time to describe in detail! In short:

A LOT of cycling
balance board and cushion work
Swiss ball exercises for both core and balance (to the point where I can stand comfortably on a swiss ball)
Plyometrics
Cross country running
kettlebells (started with 8kg, work mainly with 24kg now)
(Ramped it up in the last pre-season) powerlifting. Can back squat 85kg now.

i feel I still have some way to go. At age 46 things take much longer to heal.
snow report
hyperkub, from the sound of your rehab programme you are already far stronger than a large majority of the recreational skiers out on the slopes.

Are you going back to racing?
snow report
Yes, raced a bit last season. Won one race and second pkace in another. I have done some training this year but not entered any races yet....had to take a bigger role with the training in my club so less time to train. Actually I did enter a not very serious race and got beaten by my 14 year old daughter Very Happy
latest report
hyperkub, thanks. Doing similar myself except running (not allowed) and at 53 healing takes even longer! My surgeon won't repair the MCL because if poor success rates...but once it's stretched it won't shrink back.
latest report
Thanks for the advice and support. I'm rushing off now, but will try to reply later (from Glasgow) and let you know how it goes tomorrow. Confused
ski holidays
Ok, first glass of wine in weeks and I'm feeling ready!

I have skiied in Scotland twice before. The first time the conditions were amazing but there were long queues. The second time the conditions were not so good but there were few queues. I'm hoping tomorrow, being midweek, won't be too bad. I have good memories of skiing well here, which I think should help.

I really like the ideas of starting from basics, so I'm going to find a quiet nursery slope and go through the drills I remember from early lessons. I'd be happy if all I did was a few hours of that. Will definitely take it slow and easy. Must remember to take it a step at a time. Hethbum, those are wise words indeed.

if my knee holds with that, I'll get some lessons in.Andanotherthing, if you do run the return to skiing day, let me know.

My physio is very happy for me to give it a go. He says I'm physically ready.

here goes.....
latest report
janeed, YO uare ready...so enjoy! let us know how you get on Very Happy
snow report
A very frustrating day in Nevis. Only one of three nursery lifts open despite all being advertised as open. Very windy making it difficult to balance and taking the top off the snow. I managed a couple of runs only before deciding the conditions were likely to erase confidence rather than build it.

On a positive note:
- I feel like I was beaten by conditions rather than nerves. OH is also finding the wind hard to stay upright in.
- I got past the first few hurdles, put my skis on, went up a lift and did a few turns
- I'm confident now I could give it a good go in better conditions.

I didn't ski enough to test my knee, but no pain with what I did. I did find it hard to steer the bad right leg around when turning left, but can't tell if that was due to strength, technique or conditions.
latest report
janeed, Glad all's well Smile
snow report
Quote:

I feel like I was beaten by conditions rather than nerves

janeed, certainly sounds like it. Well done for giving it a go; it would have been easy to have just decided at the outset that it was too windy and challenging snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

Is it possible to improve by practicing good form on really easy slopes, or do you have to ski tough stuff to get better?

janeed, so glad to hear you're back on skis.

I don't think anyone has answered your question above. The answer is unequivocally yes. Challenging terrain most often just brings things you need to fix to the surface. Fixing them is then often best done on terrain that isn't so challenging before building back up to the challenging terrain again and putting what you've learnt into practice.
latest report
janeed, Well done! I'd have struggled in those conditions ...indeed I have done and swore never to go back to Scotland! Good call to stop too.
ski holidays
Maybe head over to Glencoe - check the Scottish thread wink

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 31-01-14 9:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fingers crossed for Glencoe tomorrow but looks like There's a storm coming. Would love a few more hours to practice now I feel I've got over the first hurdle.
ski holidays
janeed, Hope you get out today.
snow report
Stepping back to easier runs for practising and improving technique is a standard strategy. When you are comfortsble (rather than just trying to survive) you have more time to think about what you are doing. But really easy runs can be problematic. If you can't build up any speed at all you can't get any force or angulation. Similarly you can't easily practice moguls on a completely smooth piste.
ski holidays
Well, I didn't make it out on the mountain again in Scotland, but the trip has given me the confidence to try again anyway. Taking the above advice into consideration, I've booked myself onto a 2 hour guided practice session on the lesson slope at Chill factore on Saturday. It seems targeted at people who have done beginner's lessons but are not ready for the big slope, so it should allow me chance to practice on something very easy, without fear of people whizzing past.

Hopefully it will all come back to me very quickly, and I'll be itching to get back up the big slope before the session is over.

If it goes well I might book myself in for a improver and/or development day course. I'm struggling to justify £100 for an hour's private lesson when the day courses are not much more. I have fewer concerns about a group lesson indoors - no chance of getting left behind!
snow conditions
janeed,

The £100 is the price for regaining your confidence not to learn how to ski.

It will be, hopefully, money well spent.

I've done this for Past seven years with my own patients and the transformation in confidence is worth the money

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
I did it Very Happy

I had a 2 hour guided practice session, which was really useful. Felt very wobbly and nervous at first, but after a couple of runs on the lesson slope I started to relax into it. After about an hour we moved to the lower part of the main slope, then the instructor took me up to the top for the last run. We worked on control at slow speeds, I enjoyed it and felt my confidence start to come back.

After the lesson I got a lift pass for an hour, and did a few faster runs. Still mainly stem turns focusing on the control as the instructor advised.

All was going well until an out-of-control teenager took my skis out from under me half way down. But the fall doesn't seem to have done any damage, and I managed to dust myself down and do a final run. At least I know I can fall without it all going horribly wrong (mentally or physically). My knee seems to have held up - slightly niggly but no obvious swelling.

So I think my next plan is a development lesson and a private lesson in the next few weeks, then maybe ski every other day in Spain.

Thanks for the encouragement on here - really made me feel I could do it.
snow report
janeed, excellent! Someone took me out in Austria a couple of weeks ago - tangled skis and legs but no damage done either.
snow conditions
Glad to hear it - well the no damage bit, not the collision obviously.

I don't know about you, but I got used to thinking of myself as fragile, and trying to protect the injury. It's nice to know we can be tough again.
snow conditions
janeed, Glad it went well for you, and the skier didn't do you any damage Smile snowHead
snow conditions
janeed, Yes, I agree. I thought I was fragile for months..and still do sometimes, but mostly I have gotten over it Very Happy
snow report
I tried the level 7 development course yesterday, and it wasn't for me. I couldn't relax into it for worrying about crashing into the other people in the group, and with the choppy snow I didn't feel I could turn where I was asked to do on drills.

So I dropped out before it became counter-productive and used the time to practice. I'm still far off feeling comfortable, especially once I start going faster than a snail, but it's coming. Slowly, but still far better than I was 2 weeks ago.

The knee held up with 5 hours skiing over 2 days too. Slightly achy and hot yesterday, but ok after putting ice on it, and good today.

I'm going to try and get a private lesson or two in over the next few weeks.
ski holidays
janeed wrote:
I couldn't relax into it for worrying about crashing into the other people in the group, and with the choppy snow I didn't feel I could turn where I was asked to do on drills.

I would have found that scenario very difficult so early on too and I hadn't been a nervous skier before injury.

janeed wrote:
At least I know I can fall without it all going horribly wrong (mentally or physically).

That is really good. I spent the whole of last season putting too much concentration into not falling over and it really hindered my skiing. Have already fallen a couple of times this season and it was a genuine relief to finally have that reminder that you can and will fall over without it necessarily being a problem.

You'll get there!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy