Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with your phone?

Poster: A snowHead
compostcorner, I'd have been pissed off too if someone in my group was constantly making business calls on the mountain. Once or twice fair enough but constantly?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eddiethebus wrote:
compostcorner wrote:
i went skiing once with someone who took their phone when out skiing, he was a manager of a business, and his phone was ringing every 5 mins, and of course he had to answer it, i got really fed up with this and we had a huge argument, i told him he was on holiday and should leave work at home, and that if he cant trust his staff to cope without him then he shouldnt have a holiday, he just told me to mind my own business and **** off, so i did.

I'd have told you to **** off as well rolling eyes

Me too, a manager shouldnt be pestered whilst on holiday but if you (of he in this case) are the owner than I'm afraid you take your phone with you.

I know I do however I don't get calls every 5 minutes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eddiethebus wrote:
compostcorner wrote:
i went skiing once with someone who took their phone when out skiing, he was a manager of a business, and his phone was ringing every 5 mins, and of course he had to answer it, i got really fed up with this and we had a huge argument, i told him he was on holiday and should leave work at home, and that if he cant trust his staff to cope without him then he shouldnt have a holiday, he just told me to mind my own business and **** off, so i did.

I'd have told you to **** off as well rolling eyes

Erm yep, most definitely a big f*ϲk off to that one!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A guy who comes with us owns his own quite large business and takes a lot of calls, it doesn't bother us. Surely it's up to him? He does trust his staff but business owners have decisions only they can make and sometimes it can't wait.

I'd tell you to p*ss off too wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agreed. A fellow skier constantly on his phone is irritating. Somebody else asking them not to is fair enough. The same person telling them how to run their business definitely deserves to be told to p**s off.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd say just stuff the phone in any pocket you can find. he chances of damaging the phone, or the phone damaging you, are pretty small. Irrespective of the phone issue, I'd still suggest the OP gets a different jacket.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I managed to land on my phone and brake a rib last season, since then it goes in my trouser pocket and my coat pockets remain empty!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I normally put mine in inside jacket pocket and haven't had any issues with it, even when body slamming after messing up a jump. That was my old jacket though and had a nice neoprene holder in the pocket so I could connect it to the ipod controls on my sleeve.
Still, I'll be using the inside pocket for it on my lovely new jacket.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
compostcorner wrote:
i went skiing once with someone who took their phone when out skiing, he was a manager of a business, and his phone was ringing every 5 mins, and of course he had to answer it, i got really fed up with this and we had a huge argument, i told him he was on holiday and should leave work at home, and that if he cant trust his staff to cope without him then he shouldnt have a holiday, he just told me to mind my own business and **** off, so i did, i dont mind people taking phones out in case of emergencies and for photos, but how can you enjoy skiing if your constantly answering the phone and worried about things back home.

That would have gone a long way to ruining my holiday. Probably wouldn't have said anything as they probably wouldn't have changed their behaviour, but would never have skied with them again.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Agreed. A fellow skier constantly on his phone is irritating. Somebody else asking them not to is fair enough. The same person telling them how to run their business definitely deserves to be told to p**s off.

It would be polite to ask that they don't mind if you continue to ski whilst they take calls. To tell them they are on holiday and not to make/receive calls in anyway other than friendly banter is ruder than taking the calls. If the bloke taking calls demands you wait for them...well that's a different story...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mine goes in the left breast pocket (external) with my lift pass in left sleeve pocket. As it sits fairly flat I suspect you'd have to have a fairly serious crash to damage phone.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
compostcorner, that sounds like a great trip Shocked

I have some sympathy your view but then it does depend. If it's his business then it's not the same situ as most of us wage slaves. However, he may have control issues and I would have certainly apologised if I was taking several calls.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I once spent a day skiing with a bloke who worked for EDF energy (Belle Plagne). He was head of trading or something important. He kept taking calls and telling me about which hydro electric his company owned. Every lift he'd point out lakes saying "we own that one, and than one....". Had all the best Arcteryx kit with EDF logo on it, and would only ski black runs.....
What he did say was that EDF produce so much power they pump water up to the top of the alps during the night and release it when needed during peak demand times.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It amazes me how indiscreet some people are on their phones - names, company names etc mentioned - we were on the Mt Chery gondola the other day with someone telling the guy at the other end that they had had to suspend A - the reason being suspected thieving. Then went on to talk about various building supplier names and it went on and on.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We all have to wait for each other occasionally - adjusting boots, digging out spare gloves, consulting piste map, taking the odd phone call, having a pee, falling and struggling up again. I'd expect to do some waiting, and some making others wait, but too many phone calls can really be a pain, especially when people in gondolas insist on sharing. rolling eyes No worse than the occasional walkie-talkie bore, though. They only ever ski blacks or off-piste. wink
ski holidays
The walkie-talkie bores are the same ones who treat the entire Solent to a prolonged discussion with other boats about where to stop for lunch and who got it up the quickest and the most often (the "kite", that is).
snow report
Quote:

Ski trouser pocket...never seems to get mangled there.

This -in one of those plastic bags you pick up at airport security.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd still suggest the OP gets a different jacket.

Why's that? Not in that horrible colour scheme by the way Confused
ski holidays
JackSkier, Very Happy Just the dodgy colour scheme, that's all. Very Happy Then again, mine is vast and flourescent yellow and black. I look a bit like this... (only worse).

latest report
My one is a white one so a bit better. The grey one is a bit grim!
latest report
Given that I lost my phone last Friday from an unzipped pocket while skiing (and falling over) under the Ardent gondola in PDS last weekend, I'll be turning it off and zipping it up in future - there for emergencies only from now on!

I had been yakking to my family in the UK over a coffee earlier, put it in the pocket, and not zipped up. Fool.
ski holidays
i use my chest iPod pocket in my experience

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 2-02-14 14:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Don't do what I saw someone do in ADH two years ago... A little bit of 'slack country' in very deep powder between the trees by a lift. I am stood waiting for my boyfriend. Some guy comes through the trees holding his WHITE iPhone out in foront of him with one arm filming himself in the trees and pow (totally awesome, man). He falls almost right in front of me. He lets go of his iphone. It flies through the air and vanishes into the very deep and fluffy powder without a trace. He was still searching for it half an hour later when I passed him again! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

might give you a funny face if people start calling you a lot though...

switch the vibrate mode off.... wink

kat.ryb, Laughing serve him right!
ski holidays
compostcorner wrote:
i went skiing once with someone who took their phone when out skiing, he was a manager of a business, and his phone was ringing every 5 mins, and of course he had to answer it, i got really fed up with this and we had a huge argument, i told him he was on holiday and should leave work at home, and that if he cant trust his staff to cope without him then he shouldnt have a holiday, he just told me to mind my own business and **** off, so i did, i dont mind people taking phones out in case of emergencies and for photos, but how can you enjoy skiing if your constantly answering the phone and worried about things back home.

Some of us don't have staff.
snow conditions
Stumbled on this, which may be an answer for those who need to remain connected whilst skiing.

Personally, I'll be using this method for skiing with my phone....

ski holidays
Cacciatore, Laughing on both counts
ski holidays
feef wrote:
compostcorner wrote:

Some of us don't have staff.

That's fair enough. But...if the phone is ringing a lot then it could become very annoying for those in the group who then have to wait a lot or listen to business chat while on the chairlift (presuming it is their holiday too). I'm not talking one or two calls.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're worried about it breaking when falling get a neoprene cover or stronger - loads of options available, cycling gear websites have plenty. If worried about water damage put it in a ziploc and keep a small packet of silica gel in there, works a treat.

To be honest though if you are worried about falling and have an expensive phone, leave it at home or use an old handset.
snow conditions
Beware of texting on a chair lift. Some poor soul underneath might cop a face full of your precious gadget if it slips through your fingers.
ski holidays
Fat chance of that happening, it's bound to land in a stream, on a rock or in a mass of powder snow never to be used or seen again.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:

My new one is waterproof (Sony Z1) Smile

Also just got a Z1. Excellent piece of kit.

(Check out the free Lapse It timelapse app Smile )
latest report
alex_heney wrote:

latest report
Use an AQUAPAC.

Able to use the phone and camera whilst in the aquapac, keeping it fully waterproof and with an element of padding for protection, but happy to use (camera) on the lifts as not going to drop whilst hanging around my neck!

Hangs around my neck under the outer shell and can still maintain a good gps for tracking - skitracks etc.

widely available online, or via Cotswold outdoor, snow and rock etc.

Hard to beat.
ski holidays
barneybill, that sounds a good idea.
latest report
sequoiaboard wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

and then

sequoiaboard wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Is this an effect of the timelapse app...? Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
pam w, aquapac's are tops. use one for kayaking
snow conditions
there were 4 of us in the group, and he was the slowest skier, so we did the decent thing and waited for him every time the phone went off, some of these calls lasted up to 10 mins, we never even got a " thanks for waiting ", as i said, we skied with him for the first two days of the holiday. i have been on chalet holidays on my own for quite a few years, and you generally get a good mix of people, on this particular holiday ( val thorens 2013 ) we had a really quiet shy lad on his first ski holiday on his own, he never said much until the wednesday, when out of nowhere at dinner time he said " can you pass the wine please " and phone man was straight on his case, and in a loud mocking voice said " oh my god it speaks, i dont believe it, it actually can speak, miracles do happen, go on say it again " the poor lad just left the table and was very quiet again for the rest of the week. the chalet girls told phone man off for his behaviour, but he said " my money is paying your wages, so i suggest you shut up ".
ski holidays
compostcorner, that's exactly why chalet holidays don't appeal to me - just too risky Laughing
ski holidays
The guy sounds like a weapons grade knob.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy