Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What snowboard or gear to get? Help!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone... Im just starting snowboarding, but im very athletic, i skateboard, i in-line skate, i wakeboard, i surf.... and snowboarding isnt hard for me since...

I have no idea what gear is good or what gear is bad, since i have just started... I need some gear, but i dont want to spend more than 500 dollars

I want a all around snowboard, a snowboard where i can go on the half pipe and ramps.. but also a snowboard that is pretty fast down the slopes..

What should i get? Basically i want really good gear...

please answer these q's thanks!

1) What snowboard is best for all around...

2) what boots are best...

3) what bindings are best?

thanks

Weasel
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bump
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weasel, welcome to snowHead.

A lot of the folk around here are European so bumping threads (bad at the best of times) late on a Sunday night probably won't help you get an answer I am afraid.

I do not snowboard so cannot comment on what would be good, but I would think that hire stuff... especially the board is fine for the first baby steps(slides) however good you are at other sports you won't be ripping 720's on your first morning!

Others may disagree Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you want to spend $500 in total for all your gear? If so, you're unlikely to get really good gear unfortunately. With that out of the way, here's my suggestions:
1) Buy boots first, and spend the most money on boots. Boots will have the most effect on comfort AND performance. I can't tell you which boots will be best, because everyone has different feet, but Vans, DC, Salomon and 32 all make great boots. Whatever boots you get, make sure they are a VERY snug fit, have a lace-up liner, are decently stiff, and that when you try to lift your heels up without the boot's heel going up you get as little lift as possible. Salomon's Dialogue, 32's Lashed and Van's BFB are all good value for the excellent quality of boot, but make sure they fit you properly. If it doesn't feel like it's totally hugging your foot, don't let the salesperson talk you into buying it.
2) While everyone agrees that boots are the most important piece of equiptment, it's kind of a split as to whether bindings or board comes next. I say bindings. For cheaper-but-good bindings, Drake may be the way to go. Something like a Ride EX would be a good choice as well. Basically I think Ride, Drake, Burton, Salomon, Tech Nine, and Rome all make good bindings. Whatever you get, buy your boots first and then buy bindings that feel good with the boots.
3) As for a board, you're not going to have money for a particuarly good one after the board and bindings, but that's OK, especially when you're a begginer. Whatever you get, I'd say make sure your board is: 1 - sidewall construction (as opposed to cap) 2 - sintered base (as opposed to extruded) 3 - full-wrap steel edges (don't know if you can find boards that DONT have full wrap steel, but you never know) 4 - wood core (some very low end boards have foam cores). If you can afford it, go for a Rome Solution or Option Redline, or slightly cheaper would be an Atomic Hatchet or Gnu Carbon High Beam, but honestly you'll probably just end up getting some no-name board from Sportsmart or something. That's allright though - it'll be quite some time before you can get anything out of a good board anyways, and the cheap ones are often easier to ride (when learning).

Oh yeah, and look for last year's gear, as it will be cheaper, and gear changes very little from year to year.
Some ideas:
Bindings - 04/05 Ride EX from the Boardroom online shop. Free shipping from a U.S. warehouse, $199.99 CAD = $171.12 USD
Bindings
Boots - 04/05 Vans BFB from the Boardroom, $209.99 CAD = 179.67 USD
Boots
That would leave you with about $150 for your board, which is enough to get something cheap but useable. Maybe try ebay for this?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy